U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2020, 03:20 PM

1 posts, read 633 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! My husband and I have been planning on moving to TX for awhile now even before covid hit since my husband works for the railroad he can transfer to Fort Worth. We are actually coming out in a week to stay for a week. So far we have been looking in Weatherford because of the wonderful homes in our budget and also the small town feel with out being to far from Fort Worth. My main question and concern would be mainly how the town of Weatherford likes outsiders / Californians. We actually had made a offer on a wonderful home there in Weatherford (before seeing it only on video yes we are crazy excited lol) but some issues had happened and the seller was completely rude to us through my realtor. I am not assuming all Texans are rude at ALL Iv'e heard wonderful things. Can anyone tell my anything about it here? Does Weatherford welcome outsiders? I'm so excited and I cannot wait to visit! I fell in love with this Town and homes from just my research. Ill be bringing my mom, husband, and my 13 yr old. But Id like to know a little bit more about the people here. We are very friendly people and I'd love to meet some people and make some new friends out there!

Last edited by Laceyann90; 05-26-2020 at 03:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2020, 09:23 AM

1,414 posts, read 712,288 times
The town has been growing which could mean there will be more outsiders to welcome you or it could mean the locals are already starting to get fed up with them. As everybody always says, as long as you don't badmouth Texas and what not I don't think you will have too many problems. People will have their preconceived notions about Californians but the fact that y'all desire moving to a smallish town leads me to believe you probably have things in common with Texans. Maybe y'all could rent in Fort Worth for 6 months or a suburb nearby so y'all are moving from there instead of from California, if it turns out to really be that big of a deal.

I've never been to Weatherford but I met a lady that lived there at a gas station in Stephenville and she was very nice. She said the town was very nice too. I have been to Granbury and Stephenville and they are fine towns too although further from Fort Worth and smaller.

Old 05-27-2020, 09:24 AM

1,414 posts, read 712,288 times
Also maybe try posting in the Fort Worth forum if you don't get the responses you desire here

Old 05-27-2020, 11:20 AM

3,622 posts, read 4,627,525 times
You'll be fine. Just don't try to change things or complain about Texas and no one will care where you are from.

Do get your vehicle license plates changed over to TX plates at the earliest convenience and no one will even notice.

The only parts of TX that I've found to be insular and unwelcoming are some of the backwoods parts of east Texas where they still think they are living in the Jim Crow south. Fort Worth and Weatherford is a LONG ways from there.

Old 05-28-2020, 07:31 PM

295 posts, read 124,229 times
I have several co-workers that live in Weatherford and they are very nice people. No matter where you go, there will be nice and not so nice people. It is a conservative town as are most small towns/cities in Texas (if that matters to you). Weatherford is a growing town with a cute downtown. Chandor Gardens is a must-see while you are there. I also recommend renting for the first 6 months to a year when you move. That will give you more time to check out all of the areas.

Old 06-02-2020, 01:49 PM

79 posts, read 20,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laceyann90 View Post
Hi everyone! My husband and I have been planning on moving to TX for awhile now even before covid hit since my husband works for the railroad he can transfer to Fort Worth. We are actually coming out in a week to stay for a week. So far we have been looking in Weatherford because of the wonderful homes in our budget and also the small town feel with out being to far from Fort Worth. My main question and concern would be mainly how the town of Weatherford likes outsiders / Californians. We actually had made a offer on a wonderful home there in Weatherford (before seeing it only on video yes we are crazy excited lol) but some issues had happened and the seller was completely rude to us through my realtor. I am not assuming all Texans are rude at ALL Iv'e heard wonderful things. Can anyone tell my anything about it here? Does Weatherford welcome outsiders? I'm so excited and I cannot wait to visit! I fell in love with this Town and homes from just my research. Ill be bringing my mom, husband, and my 13 yr old. But Id like to know a little bit more about the people here. We are very friendly people and I'd love to meet some people and make some new friends out there!
I don't know where you are budget wise, and whether you want to have your 13 year old to be in a high ranked school system or not. Aledo has some of the best, though you'll pay much more for property taxes than other cities that are nearby.

Good advice about possibly renting first. My daughter, husband and son first lived in Lake Worth but felt compelled to move because of the school system there. They found a house for $320,000 in a neighborhood they really like, and a school system which fulfils their son's needs.

Old 06-03-2020, 08:10 AM

149 posts, read 100,673 times
Parker county as a whole is very conservative compared to Fort Worth or Dallas.

In general people are very welcoming and friendly no matter where you come from. Weatherford is rapidly growing. Many young families are moving here and it is becoming less of a retirement town. We actually have multiple places in town that can be considered bars now!!

In all honesty though, if you are very politically outspoken on the Liberal side and want Texas to be like California...expect some hostility. It sounds like the people you were working with were the typical older couple that hates anything not from Texas. Unfortunate there are still a lot of those people here.

Last edited by abelinkkin; 06-03-2020 at 08:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or