U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2020, 10:58 AM

1 posts, read 563 times

Advertisements

I was a member at the Austin Stone for eight years (four years of college and four years of work) and now my company has transferred me to Fort Worth. My husband and I just closed on a house in Grand Prairie and are willing to drive up to 30 miles to go to church. Ideally, it would be closer because we would love to be involved and serve often. But to find a good church, we’re okay with the drive.

Something theologically similar to the Stone would be great so like non-denominational. I’ve also always appreciated how the pastors at the Stone seeks justice and equity, especially times like now. I’m Singaporean and my husband is black and we want a church that isn’t afraid to bring up uncomfortable topics. A friend from DFW had suggested Watermark, especially because of the Porch. But I’ve been disappointed by their response to COVID-19 and how some of the senior pastors and leaders are insinuating that it’s a hoax? They just seem to be too conservative, borderline right-wing, and I don’t feel comfortable attending a church like that. Especially when 100,000 Americans have died and Asian-Americans are being harassed due to Sinophobia.

Other things I loved about the Stone have been the opportunities to go on mission that aren’t harmful to the communities we go to, the small group aspect of missional communities, and the fact that there are different classes and ways to be involved. For example, I got the opportunity to be involved in anti-human trafficking and volunteering with abuse survivors through the Stone’s partnership with a local organization. It would also be stellar if the church had a counseling system/connection. Our two year old died a few months ago and the Stone has a comprehensive counseling system with Christ-centered counselors affiliated with the Stone. My husband and I really benefited from grief counseling together and individual counseling. Best of all, the therapists were in the same building as where the services were held (the For the City Center) so we would have counseling and then walk down some corridors to attend church. My husband and I also attended the Austin Stone Institute for further equipping.

I know that not every church will have all this but it would be great to have some recommendations. Theology* is most important and we can figure out ways to be involved with the extra stuff My husband and I asked Stone leaders for recommendations, but they said they were unable to endorse a church in DFW. Since many services are online, we figure we can spend a few days watching sermons from different churches you recommend while we continue to stay quarantined.

Thank y’all!

*Regarding theology, while we are liberal and want to unabashedly love others and seek justice, some of our beliefs are a little more conservative. For example, we are pro-life (although we have nothing but love and support and compassion for those who have gotten abortion) and would prefer a church that aligns with these values.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2020, 11:36 AM

1,929 posts, read 1,162,142 times
Finding a liberal church that is also vocally pro-life will be difficult. I know you want a non-denominational church but the nondenominational churches in DFW that I know of are all conservative. Watermark is definitely too conservative for you. If you're willing to consider a denomination, I would encourage you to check out The Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) because I think a lot of what you believe in aligns with what the denomination stands for. There are churches all over the DFW area that belong to the denomination. TCU is also affiliated with the Disciples. A lot of them have a red chalice on their signs to help identify them.

Old 06-14-2020, 07:51 PM

3,996 posts, read 2,279,903 times
First Jefferson Unitarian Universalist Church

Relational Covenant

Old 06-15-2020, 07:46 AM

6,559 posts, read 5,377,853 times
Grand Prairie is in Dallas County, but borders Tarrant County. So I am assuming you are looking in Dallas, too.

I have a good friend who looked for a long time and found her Church home at the Southlake Gateway Church.
She and her husband are a mixed race couple and value the diversity there. I know your beliefs on abortion mesh with Gateway. Here is a link to some sermons, maybe there is a fit. https://gatewaypeople.com/sermons

Old 06-16-2020, 07:39 AM

366 posts, read 159,009 times
Northaven Methodist Church is a progressive congregation that has been vocal on social and civil rights issues. However, I am not sure what their position is on abortion. They may be worth checking out. They are located in Dallas.

https://www.northaven.org/

Old 06-17-2020, 02:58 PM

59 posts, read 58,682 times
Take a look at Broadway Baptist in Fort Worth. I think it is everything you mentioned you are looking for. NOT part of SBC. They take social justice and mission outreach seriously. Also, the lead pastor and family are biracial. The church is just south of downtown off I-30, so not terribly far from Grand Prairie.

And FYI one of the Austin Stone churches is within walking distance of my house!

Old 09-01-2020, 07:12 PM

14 posts, read 14,968 times
I would check out the Village Church - Fort Worth!

Old 09-12-2020, 06:27 PM

74 posts, read 28,098 times
Check out Grace Pointe in Irving. Friendly and non-political. Patrick Wooten is the Pastor. Give him a call and visit with him...he is easy to talk to and would have a conversation with you.

We used to go there a few years ago before we moved out of the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or