U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2020, 12:45 PM

262 posts, read 280,744 times

Advertisements

The worst idea that the city ever did, one of the busiest roads in all of Fort Worth, with a predominatly blue collar working community, where mind you there have never ever been any cyclists before. Has been restriped from 4 (four) lanes 2 northbound and 2 southbound. to One YES one lane going north and one south. The Traffic is already horrendous, I sincerely wonder how long it will last. This is all a ploy to gentrify the remaining parts of Southside. ugh sorry guys my rant is over.

https://fortworthtexas.gov/projects/cfwhemphill/
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2020, 12:52 PM

10,323 posts, read 21,976,744 times
This is what happens when the Mayor, who loves to ride bicycles, wants more people to join her. I worked in the medical district when Rosedale went from 3 lanes to 2, and they planted trees in the former right lane to give it a "urban village appeal." Stupidest thing I ever saw. Traffic backed up horribly!

Old 06-22-2020, 03:53 PM

4,534 posts, read 7,653,783 times
Creating bike lanes is about the only thing that Betsy Price has succeeded at as mayor. For whatever reason she keeps getting re-elected.

Old 06-22-2020, 08:04 PM

626 posts, read 875,805 times
For exactly the reason you said: she maintains the status quo. She never gets out of the shallow end of any issue, she thinks that all development is good even if it sprawls the city halfway to Oklahoma, Abilene, and Waco, she looks good on a horse, and she talks like a Texan. The only people that show up on election day are the people that want ^that^.

Old 06-23-2020, 11:37 AM

1,146 posts, read 819,768 times
Just happened in my city too....we're having a budget crunch...laying off people, and paying to put in bike lanes that very very very few people will use. Also tearing up perfectly good sidewalks, that do get use, but never a pedestrian traffic jam and putting in wider ones?

Frustrating.

Old 06-25-2020, 06:58 PM

186 posts, read 140,854 times
The north end of Hemphill is redeveloping pretty quickly. Bike lanes may actually make sense there, given that the development should be pretty dense in that area. The southern end should have been at Magnolia or Allen, in order to ensure a bike lane connection between downtown and the Magnolia area (via the new Hemphill-Lamar underpass). I would not be surprised if there are people living in Fairmount who ride bicycles (instead of using cars) to visit nearby businesses (eg. Magnolia area)... it just seems like there should be plenty of "crunchy" liberal types there.

I feel like the bike lanes might be an effort to encourage denser development, and more physical activity in a built environment that was not otherwise made for it. But I would say good quality sidewalks are way more important for that; I grew up in a blue-collar community west of downtown, and when sidewalks were added around our elementary school, you started to see more people out jogging, whereas that really didn't happen a lot before; before these were installed, I was actually one of the few joggers in my community just after I graduated high school (I graduated in 2010, and got into jogging in 2012).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or