U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2020, 07:43 AM

7,238 posts, read 8,948,158 times

Advertisements

Wife and I are considering selling our large home in Plano and moving to a mid or high rise in Dallas or FW. I came across a listing in the Villa De Leon and drove by it and around downtown FW as we know little about DT FW.

I understand the building is under going an exterior renovation and some updates inside in the public areas. Anyone able to comment on the building, the state of the HOA and the area and values for DT FW area?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2020, 09:50 PM

2,171 posts, read 2,774,677 times
That building had a ton of issues. I think the entire building went into foreclosure early on when the original developer failed to sell a single unit. Search The Star Telegram there’s a ton of info on that building.

The general area seems to be doing a little better with some new apartment developments. Condos have never really done well in Fort Worth. The big success over there was The Tower and that was in part due to massive tax abatements after the tornado. Plus a much better downtown location.

Old 06-30-2020, 05:22 AM

Thanks yes I am aware of the history some what. It opened for sale in 2008 not exactly a good time to sell anything. I have heard of the tower but had no idea a tax abatement after the tornado was a factor. Thanks for the info.

We are finding our interests and needs change alot as we age. We love our location and home in Plano it is just big and requires more work than we find as our energy level has declined and as the home too has aged. So downsizing to a unit maybe half as big as our home but costing the same or more is an issue for us to over come. The second issue I see is the property tax rate in FW compared to Plano. But I need to dig into the senior exemptions impacts on FW property taxes, an unintended consequence of Plano's good generous senior exemption and low tax rate for those of us over 65, is the value rise in all property since I turned 65. So shifting to a 2020 assessed value from a 2012 era assessment value to 'freeze'.

While we know little about FW overall much less DT, we find ourselves drawn to this building and its location in DT FW. The HOA fees seem too low to make sense for the unit size we are looking at now which is a flag too for us.

Thanks for your input. We liked the area of this building but it feels crowded to us as suburban living couple. Also the safety of this transitional area is a big of a concern. Nearness to daily needs is good for this location, it feels like a push vs our current Plano location from that stand point.

The FW board seems a lot less active to the Dallas board so your input is valuable..

Old 07-01-2020, 10:25 PM

3,996 posts, read 2,280,414 times
HOA fees are getting outrageous in Fort Worth. I've always wanted to live in the Tower, could afford a one or two bedroom. But stack the huge HOA monthly payment on a mortgage, nah. I'll keep my SFH.

Old 07-02-2020, 07:06 AM

HOA fees are outrageous in DFW over all. Villa de Leon has relatively low HOA fees I am more concerned about where they are going to be in the future not where they are now. They are a benefit to us taking over exterior maintenance and grounds. I suspect utility bills may be lower too as the units I am exploring in the Villa are surrounded by conditioned air space above, below and adjacent on maybe 20% of the sides. I think the age of the building might help HOA be lower now than others also it offers less services perhaps...idk really as I have not looked at condo's because of the high HOA and price in the past.

Old 07-11-2020, 05:37 PM

198 posts, read 416,525 times
I live in Austin, but I am from Fort Worth, and would like to retire there. Villa De Leon has always been on my radar. That whole Samuels Avenue historic neighborhood is very interesting to me. The location, vibe, and potential for further development are very good in my opinion. Right now, I live in a condo in the immediate outskirts of downtown Austin. You get the benefit of being downtown without the hassles of, in Austin, dealing with the traffic. When/if I ever get to move back to Fort Worth, Villa De Leon will be on my list for that same reason.

Old 07-11-2020, 08:27 PM

6,562 posts, read 5,379,484 times
We were in your position in 2015 and sold our 4400 sq ft house in Las Colinas and shopped condos in DT FTW and several in the Dallas area. We decided on Dallas simply because we wanted to be able to use public transportation and the condo we selected was very walkable to a DART station. But last year we went out to dinner at the Riata in FTW and I had waves of regret. DT Fort Worth feels so personal and just lovely in the evening.

Old 07-13-2020, 12:32 PM

My wife and I thank you for your comments. We are still considering the FW Villa de Leon which is one of the few condo buildings that are more traditional in style as we prefer. We plan another trip to FW this Friday, killing four hours while bug company treats our house so a drive to FW dining at the a carry out place and some exploring will work for us. What downtown eating out options for a lunch of carry out so eating in the car with our dogs in tow would you recommend? Reatta or ? We did the pappascitos last time and love them so may return there if nothing new suits our fancy

Old 07-13-2020, 04:02 PM

1,929 posts, read 1,162,825 times
If the weather is nice enough I'd recommend the Woodshed Smokehouse. They offer takeout and have a very nice outdoor patio right on the Trinity River depending on your comfort with outdoor dining right now. Before COVID we enjoyed taking the kids and the dog there for lunch as a treat. You can take your dogs down to the river to stretch their legs and go for a walk while you wait for your food. They even have a pup menu.

If you decide to go somewhere else, I still recommend checking out the Trinity Trails with your dog. It's a huge trail network with all sorts of amenities along it including a farmer's Market, Whole Foods, a bike shop, restaurants, etc. The website for the trails is https://www.trinitytrailsfw.com/

Old 07-13-2020, 04:29 PM

198 posts, read 416,525 times
Agreed that the Woodshed Smokehouse is terrific! It's a bit closer to TCU. If you're interested in staying downtown, there are over 60 restaurants in the immediate area:

https://www.fortworth.com/restaurant...ants-downtown/

Reata is one of the outstanding ones. You might want to call ahead to find out what dining protocols any of the restaurants are using right now. Good luck in your condo search!

Last edited by rogramjet; 07-13-2020 at 05:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth