U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2020, 01:01 PM

1,944 posts, read 1,177,421 times

Advertisements

I never sent my kids to AISD public schools but my family and I lived in Arlington and the Arlington area (far North Grand Prairie and Dalworthington Gardens) for almost 2 decades. We've moved to Fort Worth for practical reasons but there are still many things we miss about Arlington. One thing we miss are the city amenities because the Library and Parks and Rec systems are much better in Arlington. My kids grew up attending preschool and other classes at River Legacy Living Science Center. It's an amazing program and I don't know of anything quite like it anywhere else in the DFW. We loved the huge variety of parks and how well maintained they were. We were involved in a variety of different programs around the city and often ran into people we knew around town. While there are more sophisticated restaurants in Fort Worth, Arlington has a much better variety of ethnic restaurants. One night we might eat African food that reminded my husband of the food he ate growing up as an expat in Nigeria while we might have fun cooking our own food at a Korean Barbeque place the next night.

Yes, Arlington has it's problems but it was a great place to raise a family and we miss it very much.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2020, 01:51 PM

59 posts, read 36,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
I never sent my kids to AISD public schools but my family and I lived in Arlington and the Arlington area (far North Grand Prairie and Dalworthington Gardens) for almost 2 decades. We've moved to Fort Worth for practical reasons but there are still many things we miss about Arlington. One thing we miss are the city amenities because the Library and Parks and Rec systems are much better in Arlington. My kids grew up attending preschool and other classes at River Legacy Living Science Center. It's an amazing program and I don't know of anything quite like it anywhere else in the DFW. We loved the huge variety of parks and how well maintained they were. We were involved in a variety of different programs around the city and often ran into people we knew around town. While there are more sophisticated restaurants in Fort Worth, Arlington has a much better variety of ethnic restaurants. One night we might eat African food that reminded my husband of the food he ate growing up as an expat in Nigeria while we might have fun cooking our own food at a Korean Barbeque place the next night.

Yes, Arlington has it's problems but it was a great place to raise a family and we miss it very much.
Yes I totally agree that Arlington has really nice parks compared to other cities. I still go back and forth between staying in Arlington and trying to gauge if I will feel comfortable raising a family here. I have noticed that one of my favorite neighborhoods in Arlington is way better kept than other comparable neighborhoods in other cities. My biggest pet peeve is neighborhoods that have work trucks and cars all parked in the streets.

Old 07-28-2020, 05:59 PM

199 posts, read 417,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exult.Q36 View Post
It seems that ultra diverse areas in DFW are often labeled this way on this forum.
Agreed. I could give you a list of specific posters on this forum who love this tactic. Arlington is home to almost half a million people. To negatively generalize as often happens on here is not fair to a fine city, any fine city and its many residents.

Old 07-29-2020, 02:30 PM

378 posts, read 168,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogramjet View Post
Agreed. I could give you a list of specific posters on this forum who love this tactic. Arlington is home to almost half a million people. To negatively generalize as often happens on here is not fair to a fine city, any fine city and its many residents.
I agree - I've seen this done with the suburbs south of Dallas as well. Apparently in their eyes, those cities are "ghetto." What they're really saying is dont' move there because there are a lot of black people that live there.

Old 07-31-2020, 07:15 PM

6,583 posts, read 5,423,898 times
I have lived in the DFW area since 1978 and, with all its warts and moles, I am a huge Arlington fan. Its a city, not a town, and — other than the issue of lack of public transit — it offers a great location and a quality community for family life. I would happily live in Arlington.

Old 08-01-2020, 07:47 PM

1,257 posts, read 410,916 times
Arlington kind of reminds me of Mesa, AZ. It has nearly 500,000 people and close to a bigger city(Phoenix). Anyway, correct me if I'm wrong but was the reason why Arlington passed on public transportation back in the day was to keep "trouble makers" out of the city and keep it safe? Also I know Arlington had the distinction of being the largest city without public transportation. Is that still true?

Old 08-02-2020, 09:20 AM

1,944 posts, read 1,177,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
Arlington kind of reminds me of Mesa, AZ. It has nearly 500,000 people and close to a bigger city(Phoenix). Anyway, correct me if I'm wrong but was the reason why Arlington passed on public transportation back in the day was to keep "trouble makers" out of the city and keep it safe? Also I know Arlington had the distinction of being the largest city without public transportation. Is that still true?
Yes. When I was a college librarian in the mid-2000s I had a student come and ask for help with a paper on that topic. I was able to find a quote in FW Weekly from a former mayor that basically said that public transit would attract poor people. This was before the Cowboys moved to Arlington. There was a referendum on public transit at the same time as the Cowboys referendum. I voted for the former but not for the latter. I obviously lost.

Old 08-04-2020, 03:05 PM

186 posts, read 142,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
Yes. When I was a college librarian in the mid-2000s I had a student come and ask for help with a paper on that topic. I was able to find a quote in FW Weekly from a former mayor that basically said that public transit would attract poor people. This was before the Cowboys moved to Arlington. There was a referendum on public transit at the same time as the Cowboys referendum. I voted for the former but not for the latter. I obviously lost.
Arlington, at the bare minimum, should have some degree of public transit serving the entertainment district (Cowboys stadium, Rangers ballpark, Six Flags, etc.), including transportation from the airport to these areas, and vice-versa. Public transit around the UT Arlington campus would also be useful, if anything to support campus life and on-campus residents; I know UTA to become more of a residential campus and has already made efforts towards this. As such, a reasonable compromise on public transit in Arlington, at least for those opposed to it, would involve allowing north Arlington to have access to public transit (including buses and light rail lines) in the entertainment district and around the UTA area.

Old 08-06-2020, 07:30 AM

936 posts, read 1,354,362 times
https://www.fwweekly.com/2015/07/15/...ce-no-justice/

Old 10-06-2020, 09:08 AM
JJG

13,493 posts, read 20,216,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naterator View Post
Like all major cities, Arlington has good parts and bad parts. I've lived in Southwest Arlington for 15 years, and it's a good place to call home.
I must have missed day when Arlington became a "major city"...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or