U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2020, 07:44 PM

6,589 posts, read 5,435,299 times

Advertisements

My moves around DFW: I guess I flee everywhere...... but I really like Arlington and own 2 rental houses there in the Martin HS attendance zone...

1. Plano (2 years)
2. Richardson ( 1 year)
3. Mesquite. (6 years)
4. Arlington. (4 years)
5. Mansfield. (8 years)
6. Valley Ranch - Irving (5 years)
7. Las Colinas - Irving. (10 years)
8. M Streets, Dallas (2 years)
9. North Euless (3 months while renovations in Dallas place)
10. M Streets, Dallas (there now)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2020, 02:18 PM

458 posts, read 238,175 times
Lived in SW Arlington as child before all the developments down there and it was a nice area still is. Moved to Mansfield and stayed there for the majority of my live (couple of years outside of the metroplex) until a few years ago when I moved back to Arlington. If it wasn't for the exact area that I'm in now (far NW side) Arlington would have been off the list. With that being said most MAJOR cities have there good and bad areas unfortunately for A-Town it just has a large area that would be looked down upon by a good number of people including myself. Glad that I choose this area as there are some beautiful neighborhoods and nice people, but can't imagine spending 500,000 /750,000 or even $1,000,000 on a house around here. Plan on moving to New Mexico or Colorado in the future.

Old 10-19-2020, 09:40 AM

4,060 posts, read 2,309,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
You don't know what a major city is in general if you're calling Arlington one...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And to the poster living in Weatherford:

Fort Worth is a large city, but if you're calling this a "rat race", then you definitely should stay in a small town.
Thank you, we will. If I35, I35 isn't a rat race I don't know what is.

Old 10-21-2020, 07:22 PM

233 posts, read 212,187 times
Quote:
You don't know what a major city is in general if you're calling Arlington one...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And to the poster living in Weatherford:

Fort Worth is a large city, but if you're calling this a "rat race", then you definitely should stay in a small town.
@JJG - Hahaha, you just ain't gonna let it go. Tenacious as an old bulldog. I like that.

Arlington is bigger than the following cities...some of these, I'd say were "MAJOR":

St. Louis
New Orleans
Pittsburgh
Salt Lake City
Des Moines
Orlando
Greensboro
Irvine
Toledo
St. Petersburg
Little Rock
Mobile

And 268 other cities with a population over 100,000.

Maybe it ain't me that doesn't know a major city.

Old 10-21-2020, 08:50 PM

4,552 posts, read 7,674,538 times
I do have one gripe with Arlington. They love pulling people over & handing out citations. There was even an article in the star-telegram about Arlington officers giving traffic citation quotas by their commanders, which is aganist the law. You normally see that type of activity in cash strap towns that need revenue & not in major cities.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.sta...e84726237.html

Old 10-21-2020, 09:25 PM
JJG

13,498 posts, read 20,227,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naterator View Post
@JJG - Hahaha, you just ain't gonna let it go. Tenacious as an old bulldog. I like that.

Arlington is bigger than the following cities...some of these, I'd say were "MAJOR":

St. Louis
New Orleans
Pittsburgh
Salt Lake City
Des Moines
Orlando
Greensboro
Irvine
Toledo
St. Petersburg
Little Rock
Mobile

And 268 other cities with a population over 100,000.

Maybe it ain't me that doesn't know a major city.
Yeah, population alone doesn't make a city a "major city"... and about half of those you mentioned aren't major cities, either. Irvine is also a suburb and why bring up Greensboro of all places?

Arlington has no public transit of any kind and isn't the county seat.

So no, you DON'T know what a "major city" is.

Old 10-22-2020, 11:51 AM

233 posts, read 212,187 times
Quote:
Yeah, population alone doesn't make a city a "major city"... and about half of those you mentioned aren't major cities, either. Irvine is also a suburb and why bring up Greensboro of all places?

Arlington has no public transit of any kind and isn't the county seat.

So no, you DON'T know what a "major city" is.
Well then...

If a major city isn't defined by population, size, or economic impact, I'll have to keep thinking.

Maybe someday I'll figure out your elusive definition. Probably not, but maybe.

Is it simply having public transit of some sort and being the county seat? Well -- Waco (population 1/3 of Arlington) has a public transit system and it's the county seat...so, Waco is a major city then? OK, if you say so.

Meanwhile, I won't tell you that the MSA for the Metroplex is officially known as the "Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington" MSA. Don't want to make your head explode!

OK, I'm out. JJG, have a good day. This back-and-forth tires me, and probably also the two other people reading this.

Last edited by naterator; 10-22-2020 at 11:59 AM.. Reason: clarity

Old 10-22-2020, 12:02 PM
JJG

13,498 posts, read 20,227,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naterator View Post
Well then...

If a major city isn't defined by population, size, or economic impact, I'll have to keep thinking.

Maybe someday I'll figure out your elusive definition. Probably not, but maybe.

Is it simply having public transit of some sort and being the county seat? Well -- Waco (population 1/3 of Arlington) has a public transit system and it's the county seat...so, Waco is a major city then? OK, if you say so.

Meanwhile, I won't tell you that the MSA for the Metroplex is officially known as the "Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington" MSA. Don't want to make your head explode!

OK, I'm out. JJG, have a good day. This back-and-forth tires me, and probably also the two other people reading this.
The snarky, back-handed comments and adding words to my post that I didn't type isn't making your case any more correct...

Ask anyone outside of Arlington, outside of Texas if it's a "major city" and see what responses you get...

Old 10-23-2020, 12:46 AM

64 posts, read 38,715 times
Quote:
The snarky, back-handed comments and adding words to my post that I didn't type isn't making your case any more correct...

Ask anyone outside of Arlington, outside of Texas if it's a "major city" and see what responses you get...
I’m laughing at all these definitions of big city. If you live in the DFW area Arlington is a big city... I don’t know definitions on Major but it’s rumored that Arlington is about to get public transportation. Arlington has a big population compared to other cities in North Texas. I guess it depends on who you ask. But living here for 10 years I would say it’s a big city...I get really annoyed when a thread goes off the main topic and into tedious debates on definitions. Stop focusing on the wrong part. Now let’s get back on topic... Arlington sucks.. haha. But it also has good things. What do y’all think about Arlington?

Old 10-23-2020, 06:51 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,183,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullandram1 View Post
I’m laughing at all these definitions of big city. If you live in the DFW area Arlington is a big city... I don’t know definitions on Major but it’s rumored that Arlington is about to get public transportation. Arlington has a big population compared to other cities in North Texas. I guess it depends on who you ask. But living here for 10 years I would say it’s a big city...I get really annoyed when a thread goes off the main topic and into tedious debates on definitions. Stop focusing on the wrong part. Now let’s get back on topic... Arlington sucks.. haha. But it also has good things. What do y’all think about Arlington?
While I enjoy living in Fort Worth, I miss Arlington. I miss the incredible parks and libraries plus all of the awesome ethic restaurants. We had two great parks within easy biking distance and another one close by. There were also two wonderful branch libraries 10 minutes away. When I lived there, we lived close to African, Jamacan, Korean bbq where you cook at the table, Japanese, pho, Turkish, and Greek. I don't find that diversity in Fort Worth. The art museum gets some impressive traveling exhibits for it's size. I once saw a great Picasso exhibit there and then walked to a restaurant for lunch and picked up my library books at the main library afterwards.

The only thing missing is public transit. When we had the referendums on public transit and Jerry World, I voted yes on transit and no on Jerry World. I obviously lost. I hope they finally add transit. It would be great if sports fans could take public transit to the stadiums and it would be great for UTA students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or