U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2020, 11:46 AM

10,381 posts, read 22,099,254 times

Advertisements

I will agree that Arlington has some really good ethnic restaurants. One of my favorite Lebanese places (Prince) is in Arlington. I know there are a ton of Asian restaurants there, too. Fort Worth doesn't have the multi-ethnic community like Arlington does, so of course it's not going to have all of the ethnic restaurants.

It does boggle the mind that Arlington refuses to allow public transit, especially to the stadiums.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2020, 12:50 PM

634 posts, read 884,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullandram1 View Post
I’m laughing at all these definitions of big city. If you live in the DFW area Arlington is a big city... I don’t know definitions on Major but it’s rumored that Arlington is about to get public transportation. Arlington has a big population compared to other cities in North Texas. I guess it depends on who you ask. But living here for 10 years I would say it’s a big city...I get really annoyed when a thread goes off the main topic and into tedious debates on definitions. Stop focusing on the wrong part. Now let’s get back on topic... Arlington sucks.. haha. But it also has good things. What do y’all think about Arlington?
JJG getting all in a tizzy about the use of the subjective label "major" with reference to Arlington is practically a meme on this forum.

I worked in Arlington for 6 years during high school and college, spent time at UTA and TCC Southeast, and lived in southwest Arlington for a little less than a year in 2001-2002. I didn't particularly enjoy living in that part of Arlington because, at the time, it was still a little isolated from the rest of Arlington. The retail area around Little Road/Green Oaks was nice and hadn't quite hit the hard times it saw in the mid-2000s, Mansfield was in the early parts of blowing up, and getting to the Cooper Street retail area felt like driving across the world a lot of the time.

Arlington is what it is in my opinion: a sprawling suburb of 2 large cities that positioned itself well enough to attract a nice theme park, 2 sports franchises, and a major manufacturer. You could definitely call it a major city within this area. If you want to call it a sleepy hamlet, a bustling megalopolis, or anything in between, knock yourself out. They're just subjective labels.

Old 10-23-2020, 03:19 PM

4,564 posts, read 7,681,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullandram1 View Post
I’m laughing at all these definitions of big city. If you live in the DFW area Arlington is a big city... I don’t know definitions on Major but it’s rumored that Arlington is about to get public transportation. Arlington has a big population compared to other cities in North Texas. I guess it depends on who you ask. But living here for 10 years I would say it’s a big city...I get really annoyed when a thread goes off the main topic and into tedious debates on definitions. Stop focusing on the wrong part. Now let’s get back on topic... Arlington sucks.. haha. But it also has good things. What do y’all think about Arlington?
I sure hope it’s true Arlington is about to get public transportation because it will allow commuter rail to run from downtown Fort Worth into Arlington.

Old 10-24-2020, 10:57 AM

634 posts, read 884,389 times
You're going to be disappointed if you think that Arlington's first dip into real public transportation is going to be a commuter line from FW to Arlington. The money will not be there. Union Pacific is not interested in sharing one of the busiest right of ways in the country with a commuter line (they worked pretty hard to run Amtrak off of their line) and, even if they were, it's going to cost a fortune. Acquiring another right of way is going to be just as costly and difficult and will take a decade or more at best. What became TEXRail was on the drawing board for more than a quarter century, was on a right-of-way they already owned, and only came to fruition when it was whittled down into phases. Neither Arlington nor Fort Worth are currently in any financial position to shoulder their portion of that cost. No one is crazy about buses, but that is probably what can happen in a reasonable amount of time.

Old 10-25-2020, 02:44 PM

236 posts, read 213,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbb303 View Post
You're going to be disappointed if you think that Arlington's first dip into real public transportation is going to be a commuter line from FW to Arlington. The money will not be there. Union Pacific is not interested in sharing one of the busiest right of ways in the country with a commuter line (they worked pretty hard to run Amtrak off of their line) and, even if they were, it's going to cost a fortune. Acquiring another right of way is going to be just as costly and difficult and will take a decade or more at best. What became TEXRail was on the drawing board for more than a quarter century, was on a right-of-way they already owned, and only came to fruition when it was whittled down into phases. Neither Arlington nor Fort Worth are currently in any financial position to shoulder their portion of that cost. No one is crazy about buses, but that is probably what can happen in a reasonable amount of time.
Agreed. It makes you scratch your head why they destroyed the Interurban line from Fort Worth to Dallas.

(...actually, it doesn't. Car culture, sprawl and all that. But it was pretty darn stupid).

However, I give Arlington credit for recognizing some of the planning mistakes that have been made and taking slow-but-steady steps to make Arlington a better place to live. I'm optimistic for the future.

Overall, we love living here.

Old 10-25-2020, 06:35 PM

4,564 posts, read 7,681,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naterator View Post
Agreed. It makes you scratch your head why they destroyed the Interurban line from Fort Worth to Dallas.

(...actually, it doesn't. Car culture, sprawl and all that. But it was pretty darn stupid).

However, I give Arlington credit for recognizing some of the planning mistakes that have been made and taking slow-but-steady steps to make Arlington a better place to live. I'm optimistic for the future.

Overall, we love living here.
The Interurban line coverage was impressive.

https://www.dart.org/newsroom/Monroe...eservation.pdf

https://www.dmagazine.com/publicatio...-mass-transit/

Old 10-25-2020, 06:53 PM

2,329 posts, read 1,207,212 times
Quote:
@JJG - Hahaha, you just ain't gonna let it go. Tenacious as an old bulldog. I like that.

Arlington is bigger than the following cities...some of these, I'd say were "MAJOR":

St. Louis
New Orleans
Pittsburgh
Salt Lake City
Des Moines
Orlando
Greensboro
Irvine
Toledo
St. Petersburg
Little Rock
Mobile

And 268 other cities with a population over 100,000.

Maybe it ain't me that doesn't know a major city.
Population alone does not make a city major. Arlington is only large because it was able to annex land and be in the middle of two actual major cities, Dallas and Fort Worth. You also listed cities who have seen better days and had nearly twice the population as they do now. Arlington is not the business heart and economic soul of the metro area like all the cities you named except Irvine. Funny enough Irvine is probably more major than Arlington despite it being smaller population wise if you look at the corporations there. It also has public transit, rail AND bus.

I agree with what the poster said above in that Arlington is a major DFW city. But it barely accounts as a major Texas city as it gets lost among the rest of the metroplex. It would if it was off by itself isolated somewhere like Amarillo, Lubbock, or Waco, which all feel more major than Arlington despite being smaller.

Old 10-26-2020, 11:33 AM

236 posts, read 213,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exult.Q36 View Post
Exult, that was an excellent article! Thank you for providing the link.

I had no idea the network coverage was THAT extensive. Wow.

Old 10-27-2020, 09:55 AM

3,784 posts, read 1,977,661 times
Arlington isn't a major city. No one out of state would have ever heard of it if the Rangers and Cowboys didn't play there.

More people live there than work there...it isn't a major job center...the jobs that are there are mostly because of it's location near the airport.

It isn't strictly a suburb either...though it's layout is entirely suburban.

It is a sprawl municipality that is too big to be a suburb, but too dependent to be a city.

There is no "There" There. There are maybe 8 total blocks of what you might consider urban downtown.

It offers the worst of both worlds: It's too big and has too much traffic to be a peaceful surburb and it is too sprawly to make getting around via their non-existant transit possible.

Great Restruants, sure.

This is because the city has cycled down and is affordable for immigrants. The problem is, they share a massive suburb with lower middle class white people who think the immigrants are the problem and oppose things like Public Transit that would improve Arlington because they are stuck in an old 1970s attitude that Transit is for Poor People of Color....and they are in denial of what Arlington actually would benefit from.

Old 10-27-2020, 09:59 AM

3,784 posts, read 1,977,661 times
Quote:
Well then...

If a major city isn't defined by population, size, or economic impact, I'll have to keep thinking.

Maybe someday I'll figure out your elusive definition. Probably not, but maybe.

Is it simply having public transit of some sort and being the county seat? Well -- Waco (population 1/3 of Arlington) has a public transit system and it's the county seat...so, Waco is a major city then? OK, if you say so.

Meanwhile, I won't tell you that the MSA for the Metroplex is officially known as the "Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington" MSA. Don't want to make your head explode!

OK, I'm out. JJG, have a good day. This back-and-forth tires me, and probably also the two other people reading this.
He right though...Arlington isn't a major city and we all know it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or