U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2020, 04:02 PM

4,665 posts, read 5,960,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
Arlington isn't a major city. No one out of state would have ever heard of it if the Rangers and Cowboys didn't play there.

More people live there than work there...it isn't a major job center...the jobs that are there are mostly because of it's location near the airport.

It isn't strictly a suburb either...though it's layout is entirely suburban.

It is a sprawl municipality that is too big to be a suburb, but too dependent to be a city.

There is no "There" There. There are maybe 8 total blocks of what you might consider urban downtown.

It offers the worst of both worlds: It's too big and has too much traffic to be a peaceful surburb and it is too sprawly to make getting around via their non-existant transit possible.

Great Restruants, sure.

This is because the city has cycled down and is affordable for immigrants. The problem is, they share a massive suburb with lower middle class white people who think the immigrants are the problem and oppose things like Public Transit that would improve Arlington because they are stuck in an old 1970s attitude that Transit is for Poor People of Color....and they are in denial of what Arlington actually would benefit from.
+1
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2020, 04:30 PM

2,375 posts, read 2,903,230 times
Quote:
He right though...Arlington isn't a major city and we all know it.
A few thoughts:
1) It seems the consensus of a lot of folks on this board is that Arlington is a craphole, and the magic bullet to fix it is adding public transportation. My question to you is how exactly does that help Arlington? If the goal is to revitalize Arlington by attracting middle to upper class families to buy homes and live in Arlington, do you really see such a family listing access to busses as a high priority? How many people on this forum would gladly go wait and bus stops to get around the city? Im guessing a very small portion. As someone who used the DART system extensively as a single man living in Dallas, I can assure you that the vast majority of bus riders are not going to be the wealthy types that are needed to boost a city's revenue base.

2) The simple fact is that it doesnt matter if Arlington has public transit or not. Arlington's current position is a matter of circumstance. Cities like Arlington, Mesquite, Garland and to a lesser extent Richardson and Plano had their hey day in the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s. Cities like Frisco and Prosper had the advantage of blowing up much later, gaining the advantage of a larger modern housing stock, none of the legacy demographic problems and most importantly, being able to learn from and avoid the mistakes made by those legacy towns. If you could reverse things and have Frisco and Prosper be the legacy towns, we would be having the exact discussion about fleeing Frisco.

3) The last thing I will say is that having public transit isnt that great honestly, especially outside of Dallas. My inlaws live in Garland which is a member of DART. Yet for my 76 year old father inlaw to get to the bus stop would be a solid 20 minute walk, to a route where the bus runs once an hour. So it's not that great. And Garland is considered to be relatively good on DART access. For better or worse, the DFW area will always be one where you need your own car for transportation.

Old 10-27-2020, 08:11 PM

4,564 posts, read 7,681,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naterator View Post
Exult, that was an excellent article! Thank you for providing the link.

I had no idea the network coverage was THAT extensive. Wow.
No problem.

Old 10-27-2020, 11:07 PM
JJG

13,505 posts, read 20,239,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
A few thoughts:
1) It seems the consensus of a lot of folks on this board is that Arlington is a craphole, and the magic bullet to fix it is adding public transportation. My question to you is how exactly does that help Arlington? If the goal is to revitalize Arlington by attracting middle to upper class families to buy homes and live in Arlington, do you really see such a family listing access to busses as a high priority? How many people on this forum would gladly go wait and bus stops to get around the city? Im guessing a very small portion. As someone who used the DART system extensively as a single man living in Dallas, I can assure you that the vast majority of bus riders are not going to be the wealthy types that are needed to boost a city's revenue base.

2) The simple fact is that it doesnt matter if Arlington has public transit or not. Arlington's current position is a matter of circumstance. Cities like Arlington, Mesquite, Garland and to a lesser extent Richardson and Plano had their hey day in the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s. Cities like Frisco and Prosper had the advantage of blowing up much later, gaining the advantage of a larger modern housing stock, none of the legacy demographic problems and most importantly, being able to learn from and avoid the mistakes made by those legacy towns. If you could reverse things and have Frisco and Prosper be the legacy towns, we would be having the exact discussion about fleeing Frisco.

3) The last thing I will say is that having public transit isnt that great honestly, especially outside of Dallas. My inlaws live in Garland which is a member of DART. Yet for my 76 year old father inlaw to get to the bus stop would be a solid 20 minute walk, to a route where the bus runs once an hour. So it's not that great. And Garland is considered to be relatively good on DART access. For better or worse, the DFW area will always be one where you need your own car for transportation.
My answer to all of that is... no. That's not it.

Sure many people's opinions of Arlington aren't very favorable, but that has more to do with mobility and tourists/visitors being IN BETWEEN TWO MAJOR CITIES... but that's not a "magic bullet" to make the entire town better, it's just something that's ideal for an area of over 7 million people and a town with several attractions, both existent and upcoming.

There are still other reasons why people don't like Arlington.

Old 10-28-2020, 12:08 PM

3,784 posts, read 1,977,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
A few thoughts:

The first issue is the city is too sprawly and low density for rail. You need a population Density of about 10k per square mile (Chicago) to have good transit.

That said, selective bus service would be great for the city if it was done well. I think the main reason most texans don't see transit as "That Great" is because here in Texas we have indeed done a terrible job at building good transit. DART sucks. I used it for years...it's woefully inadequate on so many levels.

Since Arlington is on their own....refusing to be a member of Dart, they could easily take some of that stadium money and put it towards and innovative data-based bus system. It could be the most cutting edge of it's kind. Instead, they build new ballparks for teams that wouldn't have left anyway.

The only really good thing about Arlington are the boatload of (mostly poor) immigrants who live there. While They will still need a car to access most of the opportunities in the Metroplex alot could be done for these families opportunity wise by having at least serviceable public transit. The problem with Dallas is every adult (or Teenager) in the House needs a car...

Arlington's bread butter is the immigrant community. Overall the city isn't a Plano...you arn't going to attract many more high income people to Arlington than are already there...most of the city doesn't apeal to wealthy people...its lower middle class outdated sprawl that is ageing poorly.

Maybe in another 20 years that sort of house will become cool again like Bungalows or Mid Mod, but I wouldn't count on it upcycling and gentrifying.

Instead, Arlington should focus on providing good services to residents, improving walkability and encouraging local businesses and keeping the community safe. It can be a place where a person can get a starter home or just a place to own that is decent....not upscale, but it doesn't need to be.

Diversity is an asset....they could become a cool place for people to visit for different types of food...let that be the identity. Be the "Queens" of DFW, don't be F***ing NJ.

Old 10-28-2020, 07:32 PM

65 posts, read 40,245 times
Quote:
The first issue is the city is too sprawly and low density for rail. You need a population Density of about 10k per square mile (Chicago) to have good transit.

That said, selective bus service would be great for the city if it was done well. I think the main reason most texans don't see transit as "That Great" is because here in Texas we have indeed done a terrible job at building good transit. DART sucks. I used it for years...it's woefully inadequate on so many levels.

Since Arlington is on their own....refusing to be a member of Dart, they could easily take some of that stadium money and put it towards and innovative data-based bus system. It could be the most cutting edge of it's kind. Instead, they build new ballparks for teams that wouldn't have left anyway.

The only really good thing about Arlington are the boatload of (mostly poor) immigrants who live there. While They will still need a car to access most of the opportunities in the Metroplex alot could be done for these families opportunity wise by having at least serviceable public transit. The problem with Dallas is every adult (or Teenager) in the House needs a car...

Arlington's bread butter is the immigrant community. Overall the city isn't a Plano...you arn't going to attract many more high income people to Arlington than are already there...most of the city doesn't apeal to wealthy people...its lower middle class outdated sprawl that is ageing poorly.

Maybe in another 20 years that sort of house will become cool again like Bungalows or Mid Mod, but I wouldn't count on it upcycling and gentrifying.

Instead, Arlington should focus on providing good services to residents, improving walkability and encouraging local businesses and keeping the community safe. It can be a place where a person can get a starter home or just a place to own that is decent....not upscale, but it doesn't need to be.

Diversity is an asset....they could become a cool place for people to visit for different types of food...let that be the identity. Be the "Queens" of DFW, don't be F***ing NJ.
How is mostly poor immigrants living in Arlington a good thing? I live in a neighborhood with, as you say “the boatload of (mostly poor) immigrants, and I can tell you from experience it’s not a good thing. They have many family members from different generations all living under one roof...which means four cars in the drive way...another car literally parked in their front yard and multiple cars lining the streets. Some are even making junk yards in their front yards and treating their homes as scrap/resale businesses.

This neighborhood use to be very nice and it’s all gone to the crapper. You can’t even go walking any more because there’s cars lined up and down the street and supped up Trucks literally going 50 miles per hour down the road. I haven’t even gotten into all the abandoned animals they just let roam the neighborhood. Or the RV’s they have parked in their backyard that they are renting out to people.

The only places I have seen diversity work is in richer cities like Mansfield. When its poor diversity it doesn’t work because they migrate to the areas where they are the majority. That’s why Arlington has sections where in east Arlington you got Mexicans. North and South are the blacks and you also got the Asian area and the white area. Everyone’s pretty much segregated, but just co existing. What’s the point in diversity if everyone is breaking away into their own race groups?

Old 10-28-2020, 09:28 PM

459 posts, read 239,387 times
Quote:

Will agree that rail is out of the question, but bus service is also something that I'd have a hard time agreeing to. The entire west side of the city (except for around UTA) was build as a middle class area back when it meant larger yards and plenty of open space and isolation around commercial areas. The east side of the city could really use some kind of public transit especially around the NE corner where a large number of apartments are located, the "entrainment area" as well just for the large number of jobs and possibly the older east side between I-20 and I-30. Honestly I could see it just being too much of money pit to see the advantages. UTA has there own buses/bus stops and transportation.
As Bullandram pointed out even the poor immigrants love there cars. Whether all the cars run or not they have plenty of them. Public transit would better help the just moved out of parents house individuals / families or non-immigrant families.
Again Bull sort of hit on the head with diversity. Sure Arlington is diverse, but it's large percentages of one group in a certain area with little sprinklings of certain other groups mixed in.
Finally Arlington city council and honestly the residents that I know couldn't care less about the areas where improvements could start to make a difference. It's all about the money and becoming a tourist hot spot.
If the mid cities (Arlington, GP, Euless, Irving, etc) could come to gather on a public transit plan then I could see myself supporting it.

Old 10-29-2020, 03:29 PM

3,784 posts, read 1,977,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullandram1 View Post
How is mostly poor immigrants living in Arlington a good thing? I live in a neighborhood with, as you say “the boatload of (mostly poor) immigrants, and I can tell you from experience it’s not a good thing. They have many family members from different generations all living under one roof...which means four cars in the drive way...another car literally parked in their front yard and multiple cars lining the streets. Some are even making junk yards in their front yards and treating their homes as scrap/resale businesses.

This neighborhood use to be very nice and it’s all gone to the crapper. You can’t even go walking any more because there’s cars lined up and down the street and supped up Trucks literally going 50 miles per hour down the road. I haven’t even gotten into all the abandoned animals they just let roam the neighborhood. Or the RV’s they have parked in their backyard that they are renting out to people.

The only places I have seen diversity work is in richer cities like Mansfield. When its poor diversity it doesn’t work because they migrate to the areas where they are the majority. That’s why Arlington has sections where in east Arlington you got Mexicans. North and South are the blacks and you also got the Asian area and the white area. Everyone’s pretty much segregated, but just co existing. What’s the point in diversity if everyone is breaking away into their own race groups?
Wow. Well thats pretty classist and racist.

If you don't like cars parked on the street maybe you should support public transit so every person in the house over 16 doesn't need a car.....

Old 10-29-2020, 03:40 PM

65 posts, read 40,245 times
Quote:
Wow. Well thats pretty classist and racist.

If you don't like cars parked on the street maybe you should support public transit so every person in the house over 16 doesn't need a car.....
Wow...just wow. People like you are the ones that ruin the word racist and devalue it by your ignorance. And not only that your assumptions are way off base. How am I a classist if I’m in the same class as my neighbors? You clearly can’t read. Bless your heart. I will pray for your hatred, spitting venom like that.

Old 10-30-2020, 12:48 PM

2,329 posts, read 1,206,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullandram1 View Post
Wow...just wow. People like you are the ones that ruin the word racist and devalue it by your ignorance. And not only that your assumptions are way off base. How am I a classist if I’m in the same class as my neighbors? You clearly can’t read. Bless your heart. I will pray for your hatred, spitting venom like that.

Yeah I'm finding a hard time finding the racism in your post and I'm a POC. It was pretty spot on actually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or