Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 02:20 PM

7 posts, read 59,435 times

Advertisements

Hi - we, like many others are moving to the Ft Worth area. I was wondering what people's experience has been with storing items in your garage in the heat? Does it damage clothes? Or holiday decorations? Etc.

I've read about the bugs (cockroaches) and their love of cardboard.

Anything else to look out for?? We are coming from having a HUGE storage room in our basement and I just look at all our stuff and wonder - WHERE am I going to put this all??? Thanks in advance for the help!! amy =)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2008, 03:48 PM
pfw

186 posts, read 848,915 times
I've never had any problems storing stuff in the garage or attic. Just remember, do not store any holiday candles in the attic, they'll definitely melt.

Old 05-03-2008, 05:40 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,237,694 times
You can get roaches, mice, rats, possums, and raccoons in your garage. The larger critters need a place to hide so they are less common. Rodents and bugs can come in through and small crack or opening, and hide anywhere. Since our we don't have a long enough hard freeze, bugs are a part of life. Even the best of housekeepers has an uninvited guest sometimes. If you don't have any outdoor pets, you can prevent a lot of pests by sprinkling bug poison around the perimeter of you house.

The heat isn't really a problem for most anything that can be stored in a garage. Moistures is what you have to watch out for. Not all garage doors have seals on the bottom, or sit flush with the ground. During one of our torrential down pours water can accumulate on the driveway and seep in to your garage. This can ruin things like books, magazine and photos.

Old 05-03-2008, 07:35 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,273,276 times
I have found that storing items in the garage is not wise. The heat does damage things such as wood, cracking it and drying it out terribly. I would never store my Christmas decorations that I care about in the garage because if the heat doesn't get them, the mice, or worse, will.

Clothes may get attacked by moths and damage them. Moth balls stink, so for me that wouldn't be an option. Other than that, I would think it would be safe to store them even though I wouldn't. There are just too many bugs and critters to worry about, but in seal-tight plastic tubs, I suppose they'd be safe.

Storing precious photos in a Texas garage would be unheard of, I would think. The humidity we have can't be good for them. I think it would make them stick together. I only store things in my garage that aren't important to me.

Old 05-03-2008, 07:53 PM

1,379 posts, read 6,424,364 times
We had most of our belongings in a unclimatized storage unit all last year and didn't have too many issues. We moved most of our things into our attic. We do have a few boxes in the garage still and if you have a bug spraying service, we haven't seen too much.

Old 05-03-2008, 11:36 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,237,694 times
After having horrible luck with the garage in her last house, my mom now stores all her stuff in those giant air tight plastic bins. You can get them at anyplace like Walmart or Target. They are humidity proof and bug proof.

Old 05-04-2008, 12:23 AM

142 posts, read 413,415 times
I second the Rubbermaid air tight tubs and bins...What a life saver!

Old 05-04-2008, 05:48 PM

7 posts, read 59,435 times
Default Thank You!!

Thanks everyone! I appreciate all the advice and suggestions!! amy =)

Old 05-04-2008, 05:53 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,426,246 times
I prefer to use those plastic storage containers rather then cardboard. Anywhere you live something like a mouse, rat or squirrels can get into something like that. It wouldn't hurt to scatter moth balls but you must keep putting them down rather then just a one time thing.

I live in Florida where there are no basements either and we also have alot of humidity. I store holiday decorations (minus the candles of course) in the garage. I store some old breakables in the attic since they really can't be damaged by heat.

Old 05-05-2008, 06:46 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
I've stored Christmas stuff in a Rubbermaid bin in our garage for many years, and I've never had anything damaged. I have numerous wood things, too. Our tree ornaments are in a divided bin from the Container Store. The only things you shouldn't store outside are, obviously, candles. Everything else will probably be just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth