U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-21-2021, 05:20 PM
Status: "Texas Bound!" (set 15 days ago)
 
347 posts, read 912,920 times
Reputation: 162

Advertisements

*cross posted from the Dallas forum*

Hello All!

Hubby has accepted a new job and we’ll be relocating to the DFW area in the next year. Assuming his employer doesn’t change plans, he will be working in an office in Irving.

We have just begun scouting the area (online) and we are planning a trip to Dallas in the next month.

We are coming from a relatively ex-urban area of Charlotte, NC. Believe me when I tell you we are QUITE FAMILIAR with the growing pains of a rapidly developing area that doesn’t do much in the way of keeping up with infrastructure, schools, etc... while those things aren’t a complete deal-breaker, we’d prefer not to be living in the worst of it, if possible. Everything in moderation!

We are currently looking in:
*the southern part of Collin County (Frisco, Plano, McKinney, etc...)
*Denton County from the southern border into Denton itself (Flower Mound, Lewisville, etc...)
*the western most part of Parker County (Aledo; Weatherford seems too far west, but we plan to check it out)

Recently, hubby found some nice homes in Crowley and Burleson, so we’ve added Johnson County to the list.
He also saw nice homes in Midlothian, in Ellis County. Then he added a few cities that border other counties, plus Ellis County: Mansfield, Grand Prairie.

Generally, how would you rate the commute to Irving (we know about tolls, more curious about traffic. Current commute is 45 min)?
Schools?
Amenities (access to grocery, retail, restaurants, etc...)?

Also, we’re looking for AT LEAST an acre. So, what’s our best bet at finding that? If it helps, our budget is in the $500,000 range.

We won’t have time to check all of these in one visit, but we will be making subsequent trips through the year, so ALLLLLLLLLL advice and opinions are much appreciated!

Apologies in advance for the length of the post.

Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-21-2021, 06:41 PM
 
482 posts, read 258,733 times
Reputation: 417
Frisco, McKinney, Crowley, Burleson, Midlothian, Mansfield, Aledo and Weatherford to Irving is no bueno. Jesus reminds me of my horrible once a week commute from S Grand Prairie to Alliance airport so much traffic. I take it when you say Grand Prairie you mean the far south side near Mira Lagos which is just as bad as south Mansfield.
Flower Mound & Lewisville aren't bad choices, but that $500,000 is gonna have to do some serious stretches to find you an acre with a property of any kind on it.
Really half an acre and an existing home that might or might not need a little upgrading is your best bet. Look at Irving itself, HEB (Hurst/Euless/Bedford), Grapevineish area, maybe Carrollton and Coppell my knowledge of this area isn't the best.
Here you good:
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...6_M87360-46409
or this one is in a nice area just needs TLC.
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...1_M82426-27631
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2021, 07:32 PM
Status: "Texas Bound!" (set 15 days ago)
 
347 posts, read 912,920 times
Reputation: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProtege View Post
Frisco, McKinney, Crowley, Burleson, Midlothian, Mansfield, Aledo and Weatherford to Irving is no bueno. Jesus reminds me of my horrible once a week commute from S Grand Prairie to Alliance airport so much traffic. I take it when you say Grand Prairie you mean the far south side near Mira Lagos which is just as bad as south Mansfield.
Flower Mound & Lewisville aren't bad choices, but that $500,000 is gonna have to do some serious stretches to find you an acre with a property of any kind on it.
Really half an acre and an existing home that might or might not need a little upgrading is your best bet. Look at Irving itself, HEB (Hurst/Euless/Bedford), Grapevineish area, maybe Carrollton and Coppell my knowledge of this area isn't the best.
Here you good:
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...6_M87360-46409
or this one is in a nice area just needs TLC.
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...1_M82426-27631
Thank you!

I got similar feedback in the Dallas forum, and I can see we need to adjust on the acreage.

Hubby’s current commute is 45 min. He’s not opposed to the same, or even adding 15 min to it, provided the commute is relatively smooth. If it’s a solid hour of stop and go, that would be a deal breaker.

Thanks again!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2021, 07:49 AM
 
Location: Fort Worth, TX
2,011 posts, read 1,253,869 times
Reputation: 2972
It will not be smooth. It will be unpleasant and brutal. I've similar commutes and never again. In fact, we moved a few years ago because my husband's commute made family dinner on weeknights impossible.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2021, 12:05 PM
 
1,175 posts, read 872,287 times
Reputation: 1327
I think you have a tough hill to climb. To get 1acre with a house and stay within $500,000 you will likely have to go about 1 hour away from Irving or maybe further....like Aledo, Sanger, Ponder, Krum, Nevada, or Princeton but then the commute will be brutal. So brutal you probably won't want to do it.
I think you will be priced out of places like Flower Mound. Certainly you can buy a house in Flower Mound and some of the other cities you mentioned for under $500,000, but not with 1 acre or more in most cases.
Unfortunately I think you either give up yard size for shorter commute, or go further out for more land within your price range.
Does hubby have to go to the office every day, or just 1 day a week?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2021, 02:07 PM
Status: "Texas Bound!" (set 15 days ago)
 
347 posts, read 912,920 times
Reputation: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamLynn View Post
I think you have a tough hill to climb. To get 1acre with a house and stay within $500,000 you will likely have to go about 1 hour away from Irving or maybe further....like Aledo, Sanger, Ponder, Krum, Nevada, or Princeton but then the commute will be brutal. So brutal you probably won't want to do it.
I think you will be priced out of places like Flower Mound. Certainly you can buy a house in Flower Mound and some of the other cities you mentioned for under $500,000, but not with 1 acre or more in most cases.
Unfortunately I think you either give up yard size for shorter commute, or go further out for more land within your price range.
Does hubby have to go to the office every day, or just 1 day a week?
I think we will definitely be scaling back on the acreage "requirement". The trouble right now is, he COULD be going into downtown Dallas (although he was hired with Irving in mind), and with all the uncertainty from Covid, the company simply can't promise him anything except a job. I don't blame them for that, but it makes trying to figure out what do it nearly impossible.
(Whatever happens, going into Dallas WOULD be temporary. We just don't know HOW temporary).

I can definitely see myself finding a nice community in the areas that have been recommended to me (Flower Mound or Grapevine) on a DECENT piece of property. Right now, we are on 1/3 an acre, but unfortunately, much of it is forested, up a hill, and unusable. So, maybe I just have a poor idea of what 1/3 an acre ACTUALLY looks like.

Thank you for your reply!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2021, 06:41 PM
 
Location: Dallas
2,239 posts, read 2,840,706 times
Reputation: 3755
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCMetsGal View Post
I think we will definitely be scaling back on the acreage "requirement". The trouble right now is, he COULD be going into downtown Dallas (although he was hired with Irving in mind), and with all the uncertainty from Covid, the company simply can't promise him anything except a job. I don't blame them for that, but it makes trying to figure out what do it nearly impossible.
(Whatever happens, going into Dallas WOULD be temporary. We just don't know HOW temporary).

I can definitely see myself finding a nice community in the areas that have been recommended to me (Flower Mound or Grapevine) on a DECENT piece of property. Right now, we are on 1/3 an acre, but unfortunately, much of it is forested, up a hill, and unusable. So, maybe I just have a poor idea of what 1/3 an acre ACTUALLY looks like.

Thank you for your reply!
Actually a Downtown Dallas commute would open up some good possibilities out east. Sunnyvale has good schools big lots and it’s a doable commute to Downtown Dallas.

If he’s going to be going to Irving long term then Flower Mound/Grapevine would still remain the two best options.
__________________
MODERATOR FOR AUSTIN, DALLAS, FORT LAUDERDALE, & TEXAS
Terms of Service/FAQ/Information for Realtors
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2021, 10:26 AM
 
Location: Grapevine, Texas
10,536 posts, read 22,415,377 times
Reputation: 8362
Honestly, in your situation, I would say to rent for a year. With his commute location possibly changing, and the fact that you’re not familiar with DFW at all, that will buy you some time to learn the area and zero in on where you want to put down roots.

You won’t find a house in Sunnyvale with even one acre for under $500k unless it’s a total gut-job fixer upper, or a tear-down. Property values there are just too high. I often say, “My parents couldn’t afford Sunnyvale back in the 1980s, and I can’t afford it now.”

My husband and I are currently looking to move east of DFW, and our purchase budget is similar to yours. Kaufman County and Hunt County have what you are looking for, but the commute to Irving would be absolutely brutal, as in 1.5 hours each way. I’m fortunate that I can move my office to my company’s location in Sunnyvale, which is the main reason we are able to look in that direction.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2021, 02:47 PM
 
Location: In a George Strait Song
6,308 posts, read 4,486,574 times
Reputation: 8783
We also moved from the Charlotte area, and my husband’s job was in Irving. Our house was something like 13 miles from his office, and most days it took him over an hour each way.

My advice is to buy as close to work as possible. Are school a consideration for you as well?

We had an acre lot in NC....and one third of an acre in Texas. It was plenty large! The growing season is long, the weeds and heat and watering needs and critters are a constant challenge....you do not want to have to maintain an acre in Texas without help. But a house with a pool and as much shade as you can find. The summers in Texas are no joke.

Good luck!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top