U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2021, 08:26 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,582,505 times

Advertisements

hi all,
looking for some general area advice. I'm considering a move to the North Texas DFW metro area, and besides what I can find in crime maps know nothing!

I have a great WFH job currently (pre pandemic) so I can move technically anywhere, but prefer to be closer to either Dallas or Ft Worth for future job opportunities should something happen to my current position. My current company does have offices in Irving and Dallas (think downtown) and I work in financial services and know there's quite a few in the metroplex as other options as well.

my main concerns are a safe area, where you wouldn't have concern with a woman walking alone with an infant and basically no violent crimes. I make over 200k a year, and house budget would be comfortable around $600,000. We would prefer a master planned type community that has parks, ideally some type of water access and shops nearby. We have one child, but is an infant so schools are good but not a necessity at the moment.

I looked at trophy club, Keller, colleyville generally. Any advice on why you would pick from any of these or other suggestions? We're looking to be around other families and younger professionals (30+) and hopefully can make some new friends as well.

another kind of random question but what's the deal with the colony? There's some really great homes there in the 500+ range but the crime is outrageous! I was so shocked and would love to hear why it's so bad over there and if there's concern of that spreading in general?

thanks again for any and all advice
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2021, 09:21 AM

649 posts, read 907,676 times
You should be able to find something suitable in Trophy Club or Keller in that budget that meets what you're looking for. (Although I'm not sure what you mean by "water access".) You could probably find something in Colleyville, but your money won't go as far.

The only answer I could offer on crime in The Colony is that it might be all centered around retail developments on 121. It's not a large city by any stretch and a large majority of the land is dedicated to retail, restaurants, etc.

The areas you're looking at are safe, but "no violent crime" is a unicorn. Southlake is one of the most prosperous suburbs in the state and two people have been gunned in broad daylight in the Town Square shopping area in the last 10 years - one was Mexican drug cartel hit and the other domestic violence. That doesn't make Southlake or any other suburb where similar crimes happen unsafe, but violent crime can and does happen everywhere.

Old 02-11-2021, 09:34 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,582,505 times
"water access" means if the planned development had added water like a lake or canal type system that's a definite plus. Violent crime I understand can happen anywhere, as can any crime, but ideally not looking for somewhere that's dangerous for regular people. I'm not familiar with Texas, so looking for advice..

Old 02-11-2021, 10:31 AM

10,573 posts, read 22,502,757 times
All of those areas you're looking at are very safe and family-friendly. The parts of Dallas that are high crime are nowhere close to these areas.

Some planned communities have a pond or a water feature with a fountain, but very few actually have something large enough to put a boat on. I'm not aware of any "canals" in north Texas. We just don't have water like that in this part of Texas.

Old 02-11-2021, 12:15 PM

649 posts, read 907,676 times
A lot of water features adjacent to developments around here are used for storm water retention and not suitable for recreation. If you're in a neighborhood with a lake or pond with trails around it, that beats walking down a street sidewalk. The only neighborhood in the area that I know of with a canal network is Interlochen in Arlington. I don't know if they're navigable, but I know I've seen photos of houses with docks or at least patios overlooking the canals. The canals don't connect to anything else and are probably there for storm water retention since the neighborhood since adjacent to Village Creek. I think most of the neighborhood is generally considered upscale, but it still might be below your budget. One thing to consider before you jump after that area is that it is famous for elaborate Christmas displays. People swarm it and the area is gridlocked for a couple of weeks in December. It's well organized, but I'm still not sure I would want to deal with the headache.

Your budget is going to keep you in safe areas.

Another point about The Colony is that it's a pretty good distance away from the center of Fort Worth and Dallas and a pretty hefty commute to either. It is bursting with huge retail in the Grandscape development and it's a very short drive from entertainment and retail in Frisco and Plano.

Old 02-11-2021, 05:37 PM

3,043 posts, read 11,042,964 times
Keller should fit your bill, you can find larger lots, older homes, newer homes etc... a lot of variety. Hidden Lakes is a huge development in Keller with lots of amenities. Trophy Club has lots of newer builds on tiny lots. The older homes in TC have nice lots etc, it’s kinda strange with the one main road in and out. Great dog park over there!
Southlake and Colleyville are more $$$ but have bigger lots etc not sure how far 600k will go there now.
Argyle is great and has some big nice lots, great schools.
All those areas have great schools, low crime etc They are closer to Ft Worth

For closer to Dallas
Coppell is in a sweet spot, small lots though.
Flower mound is very good as well as Frisco, lots of new builds.
Lewisville can be hit or miss...

Highland Village for water... I really like it out there.

Most of the north TX areas have low crime and good schools.

Old 02-11-2021, 10:41 PM

69 posts, read 29,833 times
Haslet, Justin, Argyle are newish and nice suburbs, safe, not too expensive yet and with easy commute distance to Westlake which has finance jobs too or downtown Fort Worth.

Old 02-12-2021, 08:14 AM

3,043 posts, read 11,042,964 times
Argyle is great but it’s pretty expensive. The OPs budget being 600 Argyle would be a great fit!
I know they have some newer homes on smaller lots that may be more affordable now. (Under 350k) It’s very desirable due to schools and the large.

Haslet, New builds and NWID. There are some neighborhoods that back up to Keller schools, but aren’t zoned for Keller, so be aware when looking. It might appear as if your kids can walk to school etc... some realtors don’t know the school zoning etc... always call the school!
For a budget of 600k I would not recommend Haslet.

Last edited by 5stones; 02-12-2021 at 08:17 AM.. Reason: Update

Old 02-14-2021, 01:26 AM

1,182 posts, read 884,135 times
Lantana

Old 02-14-2021, 07:45 AM

69 posts, read 29,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5stones View Post
Argyle is great but it’s pretty expensive. The OPs budget being 600 Argyle would be a great fit!
I know they have some newer homes on smaller lots that may be more affordable now. (Under 350k) It’s very desirable due to schools and the large.

Haslet, New builds and NWID. There are some neighborhoods that back up to Keller schools, but aren’t zoned for Keller, so be aware when looking. It might appear as if your kids can walk to school etc... some realtors don’t know the school zoning etc... always call the school!
For a budget of 600k I would not recommend Haslet.
Why would you not recommend Haslet? Haslet is up and coming and school district NISD is great. Also close to Fort Worth Alliance brand new shopping area and Fort Worth North City is about to be built, the equivalent of Frisco Legacy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth