U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2008, 05:34 PM

5,412 posts, read 14,861,352 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have Gexa Energy? If so, what is your experience with them? I have another electric provider and their rate is above 15 cents/kW-hr. According to PowerToChoose.org, Gexa is below 12 cents/kW-hr. I'm ready to make the switch.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 10:13 PM

119 posts, read 474,379 times
i had them and they were very pleasent to deal with. at the time i got 12.5 kw/h. if you have an AAdvantage number, you could earn miles with them too for every paid statement. good luck.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:53 PM

Thanks, yes, I do have an AA freq. flyer #. I think the decision is pretty clear for me. One last question: does Gexa charge a monthly fee (often in the $5-6 range) or just the per kW-hr. usage + tax?

Old 05-08-2008, 03:23 AM

119 posts, read 474,379 times
i don't recall the monthly fee at all. i gotta say no to this question.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:52 AM

65 posts, read 219,157 times
I have Gexa Energy and there is a monthly fee. I'm on a month-to-month plan, not a locked rate. The KW/h on the bill is 8.3 cents (locked for 3 months, expecting it to skyrocket once that's over). However, there is also a $5.00/month "meter reading" charge as well as another surcharge of some kind that I can't remember.

I don't have the bill handy since I'm at work, but if you're curious on the specifics I can find out when I get home.

Also, about the miles - make sure you emphasize that you want them when you sign up. I did and they "forgot" to add it to my account and I had to call a few times to get them to fix it and give me my 2,000 OnePass miles. Also, if you sign for automatic payments they'll give you another 1,000, but you have to do it when you sign up or you're not eligible.

Another nice thing is, for every $1 you spend on your electric bill, you get 2 OnePass miles.

Old 05-08-2008, 10:03 AM

Excellent, krisco, thanks. I'm not a fan of monthly fees. TXU charges them, but Spark Energy (my current electric provider) does not. But both are expensive now (15-16 cents/kW-hr.). The AA miles are nice I try to fly with them.

Since the summertime will typically require a much higher electric usage, it behooves me to get the lower per kW-hr. rate, even if there is a $5 monthly fee.

Old 05-08-2008, 10:06 AM

65 posts, read 219,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf7 View Post
Excellent, krisco, thanks. I'm not a fan of monthly fees. TXU charges them, but Spark Energy (my current electric provider) does not. But both are expensive now (15-16 cents/kW-hr.). The AA miles are nice I try to fly with them.

Since the summertime will typically require a much higher electric usage, it behooves me to get the lower per kW-hr. rate, even if there is a $5 monthly fee.
Yeah... the ncie thing about the monthly fee, is it's flat no matter how much electricity you use. So... while it sucked my first month when I barely used any electricity (with the $5 fee my actual KW/h ended up being 12.8 cents or something close to that), it will be nice in the summer when I'm running the AC a lot and burning more.

Old 04-04-2009, 08:55 PM

4 posts, read 8,037 times
Stay away from Gexa Energy see [URL="http://www.gexa-gouges.com"]www.gexa-gouges.com[/URL]

They are cleaning complaints off of every site they can. They are gouging people and then trying to keep their name clean with counter posts as more and more people are getting pissed off. There have been lots and lots of people gouged by Gexa Energy crooks. Crooks is the nicest word I have for these jerks.

Did you know their CFO - Jeff Harbert - was one of the top guys at Enron? Gexa executives learned how to get rich quick from the University of Enron! I talked about Jeff Herbert on the web site [url=http://www.gexa-gouges.com]Home[/url] and a few weeks later Gexa completely removed his name from their site. Here is his bio - in a government document that they cannot delete - [URL]http://www.icc.illinois.gov/downloads/public/edocket/186845.pdf[/URL][/url] Research Jeff Harbert and you will see he was way up in Enron. Enron gouges were basically putting people into energy binds where they had to pay the asking jacked up rate with no options. One of Gexa's most "fruitful" practices is to give a competitive short term (6 or 12 month) contract rate. Get you signed up. But you are busy and not used to watching your electrical provider for ripeoffs and you miss the end of the contract term. So they flip you to their "month-to-month" rate - without any notice of any kind - for everyone "without a contract". By the time you finally notice, they've hit you with several month's bills that are double your previous rate. When you call, they reccomend a "meter read" (done by Center Point). You think they are searching for a meter problem but in fact it stalls you another month so they can continue at the the gouging rate. Then they take their time updating you about the results, and the meter read is always OK so by the time you change to another vendor or back to a contract plan, you have paid 3, 4, or 5 months at a gouging ripeoff month-to-month rate.Do the math on your "Gexa Energy Savings".

Let's do an example with easy numbers. for this example I purchase the same amount of power each month - 2000 KWHs. Your contract rate was $0.11 per KWH and your contract charge is $220.00 a month. Your contract is for 6 or 12 months. Since you have auto pay you miss the date when your contract ends and you wrongly assume Gexa will contact you to renew on contract end or that the rate would be similar to the contract rate at end. NOT!) So the 3-4 months before you notice the gouge are being billed at $0.21 or more per KWH. (Call them. They will tell you nobody should be on that rate - but THEY ARE THE ONES that put you on it!) So you get maybe 3 bills that are $420, or each about $200 more than the contract rate. If they gouge for only 3 months, that's about $600 extra bucks. If you had a 6 month contract plus 3 months gouge, that is an effective rate of $0.144 for the 9 months - not the $0.11 you thought you were getting!They just made their fat profit on the other end of the contract and you were stuck because you already bought their product! Worse the Texas PUC can't seem to understand the game and so lets them get away with it! Throw in a few disconnect fees, late fees, etc and now you really have a cash cow - your cash, their cow! See [url=http://www.gexa-gouges.com]Home[/url].

Old 04-05-2009, 08:31 AM

32,596 posts, read 51,179,354 times
seems like this is person with ax to grind--maybe former Enron employee--
not to say that Gexa is not guilty of bad practices cause I don't know--
but to pull up a thread that is almost a year old now and only to dump on the CEO...that is little shady in and of itself...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
View detailed profiles of: