U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2021, 09:25 PM

4 posts, read 2,499 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have just recently moved to DFW and are looking at areas to purchase our home. I have a brother in Southlake and a brother in Roanoke, but with the current market, buying in these areas would push us to our absolute max budget. We are just recently returning to Texas from living in Nevada where we loved having access to National Parks and Public Land. The pandemic (we were able to find new jobs back home in Texas) has brought us to DFW. We are really loving what we are seeing in Mansfield. We are loving all of the parks, the planned projects we are seeing on the City Website, the smaller town feel, less crowds, the adorable downtown, etc.

I have been reading through these forums and I see many people saying things like Mansfield is declining, the schools are not holding their own, etc. I wanted to get feedback on these statements, because after reviewing the TEA website ( https://tea.texas.gov/texas-schools/...-rating-system) the schools in Mansfield are ranked higher than Keller (an area our realtor has pushed for us) in 2019. I’m wondering if I’m missing something? When I look around the area, I see new businesses, homes, parks and community centers being planned and built and not an area declining?

I would love to hear from folks in the Mansfield area and hear what your perspectives are on living in the area and where you think the city is headed.

Thank you in advance for your feedback! : )
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2021, 06:30 AM

75 posts, read 39,578 times
The southern side of DFW (Arlington, DeSoto, Grand Prairie, etc.) is declining and has a stigma of “not being safe” unlike the northern side (which is not true). It has good and bad areas such as the north side and there are many gems for good prices to be had. Just have to pick the right area carefully. Rising prices are trickling down south too and with it I think higher income folks and gentrification/fancier communities. Arlington has Viridian, Mansfield is going to have M3, the next Viridian and school district Mansfield ISD is pretty good. Funny thing is the more south you go, the safer it gets. The South stigma is because of more diversity (lots of African-Americans and Vietnamese) which doesn’t necessarily make it unsafe. IMO, the south is getting better.

Old 02-15-2021, 08:51 AM

515 posts, read 283,329 times
Where are your jobs located? If your working north of I-30 it might be why your realtor is pushing you toward Keller.

The park system in Mansfield is verily nice with the linear trail that goes from one side of the city to the other. Of course there are still sections missing hopefully they will not drag there feet on this chucks like they have been on the rest of it. Your closet state parks will be Cedar Hill (meh) Cleburne (better) Dinosaur valley which is next door to Cleburne (never been, but heard great things) Lake Whitney same as Dinosaur valley and Mineral Wells same as Cleburne after that every thing is 1-1/2 hour drive each way. There are a lot more pocket and small parks like Harold M. Bell being built now.

Mansfield ISD schools are a bit all over the place. You'll get school that are a way up there in the ranks and others that are ): . Would just recommend doing some good research and taking into account that MISD also serves parts of some surrounding cities.

I wouldn't say the city is declining it just has some stiff competition combined with "undesirable" areas close by and it's southern location which is an automatic strike against it. It's a very middle class city same as Keller just a bit newer.

Finally the small town charm is a bit outdated now with a few exceptions (West side) it's pretty much built out. It does still have a smaller suburb feel which is nice, but traffic does exist on the main roads. One of the only go things about Covid is that the traffic issues have calmed down.

Aside from looking in Rendon (both unincorporated Mansfield & Burleson), Joshua or Midlothian which are good choices I'd stick to the west side of the city. It's got more of the small town charm while being close to the downtown and the schools although not the best have a verily good rating compared to the rest of MISD. You'll just have to wait a while before the parks make it out that way.

Old 02-15-2021, 06:46 PM

Thank you both for the input, it is much appreciated! I work fully remote and my husband works from home, but when he does need to go to the office, he will be based out of Oncor’s Lancaster office.

Old 02-15-2021, 07:00 PM

I should also mention that when he was first hired for the job, he was going to be based in the Dallas office. His department has recently been made permanent WFH, so it has opened up our location options. We are finding that it will be very difficult to compete in the Keller area home market and exploring other options.

Old 02-16-2021, 08:39 AM

10,654 posts, read 22,775,400 times
If his work allows him to WFH with the occasional commute to Lancaster, Mansfield makes perfect sense for you. That would be a horrible commute from Keller, and you are correct that the real estate market in the northern cities is much more competitive than it is in the south.

Old 02-16-2021, 12:25 PM

4,223 posts, read 2,510,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahlei325 View Post
My husband and I have just recently moved to DFW and are looking at areas to purchase our home. I have a brother in Southlake and a brother in Roanoke, but with the current market, buying in these areas would push us to our absolute max budget. We are just recently returning to Texas from living in Nevada where we loved having access to National Parks and Public Land. The pandemic (we were able to find new jobs back home in Texas) has brought us to DFW. We are really loving what we are seeing in Mansfield. We are loving all of the parks, the planned projects we are seeing on the City Website, the smaller town feel, less crowds, the adorable downtown, etc.

I have been reading through these forums and I see many people saying things like Mansfield is declining, the schools are not holding their own, etc. I wanted to get feedback on these statements, because after reviewing the TEA website ( https://tea.texas.gov/texas-schools/...-rating-system) the schools in Mansfield are ranked higher than Keller (an area our realtor has pushed for us) in 2019. I’m wondering if I’m missing something? When I look around the area, I see new businesses, homes, parks and community centers being planned and built and not an area declining?

I would love to hear from folks in the Mansfield area and hear what your perspectives are on living in the area and where you think the city is headed.

Thank you in advance for your feedback! : )
We moved to Weatherford, west of Fort Worth - about a 20 minute drive. We really like it here, lots of stores, etc. Quick drive to Fort Worth. Lots of new homes being built.

Check it out!

Old 02-16-2021, 01:00 PM

314 posts, read 260,073 times
You aren't missing anything. Cookie-cutter realtors love cookie-cutter Keller. I don't get it.

Mansfield and adjoining South Arlington is a great place to live. Nor is it in decline - they don't open Sprouts in declining neighborhoods.

Old 02-16-2021, 04:24 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,649,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahlei325 View Post
Thank you both for the input, it is much appreciated! I work fully remote and my husband works from home, but when he does need to go to the office, he will be based out of Oncor’s Lancaster office.
I live in Lancaster and a commute from Mansfield to Lancaster wouldn't be that bad. Definitely reasonable if you really like and choose to settle in Mansfield.

Mansfield is a nice community and definitely not in decline. Significant growth is occurring in the southern suburbs of Dallas and Fort Worth, just not at the pace of the northern suburbs. Developers continue buying up huge tracts of land for employers, commercial projects and residential subdivisions due to demand and a lack of inventory. Home prices and property values have increased as well. The effects of a booming DFW are being felt all over. These areas don't receive much attention in this forum, but that shouldn't be taken as an indicator of decline or stagnation.

Old Yesterday, 09:47 AM

87 posts, read 20,018 times
I'm a Houston native who lived in Mansfield for about a year back in 2003 (worst mistake of my life...but not because of the city ). Back then, Mansfield was just up-and-coming...pretty much only had a Wal-Mart, a high school, a country club, and a couple of banks...but was a very nice and quiet place to live. After recently visiting last year, it's almost totally unrecognizable...but in a good way. It has really come along nicely, and if I ever had to move to North Texas again for some reason that's where I would likely head.

Just my 2 cent!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth