U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2021, 05:36 AM

233 posts, read 270,445 times

Advertisements

We’re relocating back to Tx from Ga. We want to buy but know that renting might have to be done first. My husband will be working in Temple and although we lived in the Austin area before with the current housing prices we’ve been priced out of the city for what we need and want. Plus the 2.9 tax rate makes us want to go further and my hubby commute on off days. It’s not ideal but what we may have to do. So I’m looking for suggestions on cities that will put us within a 2hr or less drive from Temple. We want good schools, recreation, safe, diverse and what can be deemed “affordable” housing. We also would like a lower tax rate. We’re trying to stay around $430k. Do you have any suggestions for cities? Please help!!! This move is happening much faster than I expected.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2021, 09:45 AM

10,651 posts, read 22,763,834 times
I would strongly discourage you from making your husband “super commute” just to save a little on property taxes. In the long run, the cost of maintaining two households, or additional maintenance on his vehicle, will be much higher than just paying the property tax on one. And then you’ll have him spending a lot of time driving that could be spent with you and the family. Yes, property taxes are high in Texas. That’s true everywhere in the state, and with the budget you’re looking at, the difference between one city and another is negligible.

If he’s working in Temple, then you need to look close to Temple. Don’t be tempted to look at Killeen or the area around Fort Hood; the higher crime rate and iffy schools there are not worth it.

Old 04-03-2021, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
I would strongly discourage you from making your husband “super commute” just to save a little on property taxes. In the long run, the cost of maintaining two households, or additional maintenance on his vehicle, will be much higher than just paying the property tax on one. And then you’ll have him spending a lot of time driving that could be spent with you and the family. Yes, property taxes are high in Texas. That’s true everywhere in the state, and with the budget you’re looking at, the difference between one city and another is negligible.

If he’s working in Temple, then you need to look close to Temple. Don’t be tempted to look at Killeen or the area around Fort Hood; the higher crime rate and iffy schools there are not worth it.
I understand. Houses we are looking at in Georgetown are $560k and higher which is a big difference and tax rates are also higher. My husband won’t be commuting daily and we also won’t be maintaining 2 households. Killeen area and Temple were already not an option due to what you stated. We are looking at all options right now in order to make a decision.

Old 04-03-2021, 12:56 PM

10,651 posts, read 22,763,834 times
The closer you are to Austin, the more expensive the houses will be. And yes, Georgetown is a very popular suburb, so finding something in your price range is going to be tough. With the popularity of the Sun City retirement community, and the short commute to Austin, it’s growing like crazy.

I’d honestly recommend renting for a year so you can get familiar with the current market and changes that have happened while you’ve been in GA. This will give you more time so you don’t rush into a decision.

Old 04-05-2021, 08:13 AM

1,069 posts, read 1,152,831 times
Have you thought about Belton?

Old 04-07-2021, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
The closer you are to Austin, the more expensive the houses will be. And yes, Georgetown is a very popular suburb, so finding something in your price range is going to be tough. With the popularity of the Sun City retirement community, and the short commute to Austin, it’s growing like crazy.

I’d honestly recommend renting for a year so you can get familiar with the current market and changes that have happened while you’ve been in GA. This will give you more time so you don’t rush into a decision.
We considered renting and may still have to but not wanting to switch our kids schools again plays a big part. We lived in Georgetown for 2yrs and although we loved living there it is very pricey right now like you said and renting a year doesn't mean prices will be less next year which in turn could mean moving again. We have 5 kids and 4 will be home and our oldest a freshman in college. So the need to stay put is strong. My hubby is also looking at companies in the DFW area so being there from the start is best to avoid school changes again. Having friends in Georgetown I have been able to stay up to date on what's happened since we left last year and it's crazy.

Old 04-07-2021, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Movingeast View Post
Have you thought about Belton?
We have but Belton prices aren't much different than Georgetown. Also I'd rather be closer to a large city because of the many choices we have. We have 5 kids and 1 will still be in HS and plays baseball so the opportunities when it comes to extracurricular activities is much better in a larger metroplex.

Old 04-08-2021, 12:25 AM

313 posts, read 258,190 times
Hewitt was a nice little suburb when I went to school in Waco.

Old 04-08-2021, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naterator View Post
Hewitt was a nice little suburb when I went to school in Waco.
Yes Hewitt is but the housing prices there are also soaring and it's not much available either. It also doesn't offer much in terms of travel baseball.

Old 04-08-2021, 06:00 PM

17,421 posts, read 2,797,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccoutofsc View Post
Yes Hewitt is but the housing prices there are also soaring and it's not much available either. It also doesn't offer much in terms of travel baseball.
Name one city within any metro anywhere in the US where housing prices are not soaring right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth