Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2021, 04:16 PM

2 posts, read 2,030 times

Advertisements

My SO of 2 years and I are starting to think about the future and buying a house together, probably around a year from now (late-Spring/early-Summer 2022) so it will be between school years for our kids. We're trying to find somewhere geographically between where we currently live (Fort Worth and Plano) that will meet these factors:*

REQUIRED
- 30-45 min from Plano - where my SO's child/ex and parents live
- 30-45 min from Fort Worth Cultural District - where I work
- A good elementary school*for my child who will be going into 1st grade
- Price range ~$7-800K (could do $900s for something we LOVE that is completely move-in ready)
- At least 3 bedrooms + a study (1 additional bedroom*+ playroom for kids*would be ideal)*
- Has a pool or space to build one

OTHER WISHLIST FACTORS
- Near trails or greenbelts
- We're strongly considering new construction but have no idea how to go about doing that or how it would fit in our timeline and financing.*Can we work with a realtor on this or do we have to go straight to a builder?
- Our style is more light and modern than a lot of the more dark wood and ornate architecture styles I've frequently seen in Colleyville or Southlake.*
- We aren't religious and not crazy about living in a place where the church is the primary way to become accepted into the community.*
- We would love to be near cultural things like concerts (we love going to Granada, Kessler, etc), events, and good local restaurants. That seems to be a unicorn though with the above wishlist unless we can find something in Dallas that*fits the above. I currently live in FW Cultural District (which is my ideal place) and it's going to be hard to move so far away from the action and vibe.

Here's where we've considered:
- Grapevine: we've gone to some open houses on Zillow here, but the neighborhoods we've found either have tiny lots or are 1 street over from rundown housing or trailer parks.*
- Southlake: Not sure how much of our wishlist we can get for our price range there. I think it's possible*but maybe just need some direction. Also not sure how I feel about raising children in such an affluent culture. Would like more diversity.*
- Coppell: I've never really been here, but know it has great schools and farther from work.
- North Dallas: (like Preston Hollow and west of that) love this area, but probably too far of a commute for me
- West Dallas (like Bishop Arts): love this area, but lacking a good school. Not sure if there are alternative school options I'm not considering that would open this up as an option.

Any suggestions out there? Where to look in the above-listed*places more on the micro-level? Which neighborhoods within*those cities? Any places that aren't on my radar?*TIA!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2021, 09:52 PM

11,819 posts, read 26,692,438 times
Southlake will be a horrible commute to your job. And yes, your price range won’t go far there. Affluenza is a real thing in Southlake, too.

Anything in Dallas County will be too far for you to commute. The only way you could make that work would be to live close to the TRE Rail line and take the train to downtown, but then you’d have the “final mile” problem of how to get to work.

Honestly, north Euless with GCISD schools, and Colleyville make the most sense for what you’re wanting.

Old 06-07-2021, 10:02 PM

988 posts, read 3,243,774 times
Check out the Kessler area of North Oak Cliff. Close to I-30 and a direct shot to the Fort Worth cultural district in 40 mins, even pre-pandemic. It’s about 30 mins from Plano but when traffic gets back to normal, that will increase.

Schools, Rosemont elementary is rated decently or go private to the Kessler School but it may be too late to register now.

Maybe Viridian in Arlington could work? Lots of threads about that here.

Old 06-09-2021, 04:53 PM

618 posts, read 649,115 times
I was also going to recommend North Oak Cliff - Kessler Park area. I know several families who love Rosemont elementary and the neighborhood is gorgeous and upscale. Rosemont now goes through MS, although a lot of families move to a magnet middle school. Kessler School looks nice too.

Old 06-09-2021, 06:34 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,521,798 times
Kessler 100%. You would be miserable in Colleyville or Southlake. Grapevine is a little better but new construction is going to be small lots as you have found.

Old 06-10-2021, 07:45 AM

2,413 posts, read 3,464,399 times
I don’t think you’re going to find everything you want within your desired commute times. Kessler Park and the areas adjacent zoned to Rosemont seem to check most of the boxes but that area always has a limited amount of listings because it’s so popular and so small. One big benefit to that area is that it’s so close to 30 and there are actually people there that do commute to Fort Worth. An east west commute is also nice because you’re not driving into the sun.

If you didn’t have a job in Fort Worth the M streets and Lakewood would be my first suggestions. They have excellent elementary schools and great options for housing in your budget. Plus, I think you’d have a lot of like-minded neighbors.

Old 06-10-2021, 03:56 PM

2 posts, read 2,030 times
Ahhh this is all very helpful. Culturally, the Kessler Park area seems most appealing out of realistic options. Wondering if it will be a reasonable drive to Plano. I think we either have to drive up to 45 min each (each way) or live in a place that won't be quite as good of a fit. This has given me a lot of good insite to think about! Thank you so much everyone for your insite.

Old 06-11-2021, 05:56 AM

11,819 posts, read 26,692,438 times
Kessler to Plano isn’t going to be an easy drive. If you’d live somewhere along the PGB Tollway, that would lessen the pain of that drive.

Old 06-11-2021, 08:02 AM

Kessler to Plano is where the ex/child lives
Kessler to FW Cultural District is the commute

Old 06-11-2021, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latikeriii View Post
Check out the Kessler area of North Oak Cliff. Close to I-30 and a direct shot to the Fort Worth cultural district in 40 mins, even pre-pandemic. It’s about 30 mins from Plano but when traffic gets back to normal, that will increase.

Schools, Rosemont elementary is rated decently or go private to the Kessler School but it may be too late to register now.

Maybe Viridian in Arlington could work? Lots of threads about that here.
Genuinely interested to learn more about what makes living across the street from a landfill tolerable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth