Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2008, 04:46 PM

403 posts, read 935,784 times

Advertisements

Hello, I could really use some honest opinions. My DH just got out of the military and we moved to Charleston, SC for a job offer that I received. DH is still looking. Well, the job market is awful and I don't see much of a future here for us. I absolutely hate my job and it is nothing like I thought it would be. DH wants to move to Fort Worth. He lived there from 2000-2003. I have never been there.

How is the job market? We are considering going without jobs but will have his military income for the next 2 months. Also, if we live in Fossil Creek, can we expand our job search to Dallas or is the commute to awful?

This was supposed to be a very happy time for us (we've been looking forward to being out of the military for so long) but we fear that our move to SC was a huge mistake.

Thanks so much for reading!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2008, 04:55 PM

11,856 posts, read 26,876,979 times
What kind of work do you do? Nursing and healthcare is really hot, while the mortgage industry here is pretty cold.

Old 05-18-2008, 05:07 PM

ChristieP, I work in Higher Education as an advisor. But I am open to an administrative position too. DH is going to be returning to college while finding anything to get us by as he is in school.

Old 05-18-2008, 07:02 PM

1,379 posts, read 6,426,539 times
No way would I want the commute from anywhere on this side of the Metroplex (i.e., Fossil Creek) over to Dallas. You would HATE it!! I have a friend who's soon to be ex used to commute from Keller to Downtown Dallas every day. I would take him an hour and a half each way. Three hours out of your day driving, not to mention the fuel expense...no way!!

It doesn't look very far on the map, but trust me, I was trying to make this very point to a friend of mine that was looking at moving from Maryland down here. We drove just north of Dallas a bit, but came back through 183 and 820 and she was about to pull her hair out. Mind you, this is my friend that used to commute into NYC and lives just outside the Beltway. Even she thought we were flippen crazy drivers down here, which was surprising to me.

As far as the unemployment numbers, I just heard a report the other day saying that the Metroplex saw a 2.5% increase in employment which was much better than the 1.5% national average.

Old 05-18-2008, 07:03 PM

11,856 posts, read 26,876,979 times
There are many institutions of higher education here, so I bet you could find a position at one of them:
Texas Christian Univ
Southern Methodist Univ
Univ. of North Texas
U of TX at Dallas
U of TX at Arlington
Paul Quinn College
Dallas County Community College (6 campuses)
Tarrant County Community College (3 campuses IIRC)
Univ of Dallas (Catholic)
SW Adventist Univ. (I think you have to belong to their faith, though)

Administrative work here usually doesn't pay well here because there are too many people who will do it. You'd be lucky to get $15 hourly for it.

Old 05-18-2008, 07:59 PM

Thanks for the info. The commute to Dallas does not sound fun!

ChristieP, I appreciate the listing of colleges. I am going to go on their websites now

Old 05-18-2008, 08:27 PM

119 posts, read 514,299 times
deeni,

what did your husband do in the military? can he apply that in the aviation field? or technology field?

Old 05-19-2008, 01:08 AM

1,379 posts, read 6,426,539 times
There is definately a lot of avionics and technology here!! Bell, Lockheed, Raytheon and a bunch other subcontractors.

Old 05-19-2008, 06:25 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
FYI--my daughter in law works as advisor at UNT in Denton and has worked at UT Dallas--there is hiring freeze at UNT right now--difficult to get hired at any college in this area--they get LOTS of applicants and are picky, picky...

we were shooping for a new car about two weeks ago and 2 of the 5 salesmen that helped us at different dealerships in tarrant co area were servicemen just released--one was Marine and one was Army airborn--they were combat soldiers in Iraq/Afg so were not higher up the food chain than ss--not much out there for ground troups IMO

driving from the area you mentioned to dallas would be so wasteful in time and gas money--NOT something to consider--

you have a job in hand--that might be worth more than giving it up (which won't look good on a resume) to take a chance on both of your finding jobs here

people say there is good job market but that does not mean it is EASY to get one...
lots of these people are being transferred because company is moving/opening offices here--
recent article in FTW paper was about the growth in jobs--many in hotel/food service--some in oil industry for work neither of you is probably qualified for--
some banks/mortgage lenders are curtailing -- lots of people are trying to get their jobs to allow them to work from home one day a week if possible to save on gas because they had a big commute...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth