Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 05:41 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,840,314 times

Advertisements

silverfish get pretty big adult about an inch. I've only seen them on at a time. (hate them)

since they come out when you spray the baseboards.....
Is your baseboard wood? they might be nymph termites.
http://http://www.entm.purdue.edu/entomology/urban/new_urban/images/urban_pics/termite01.jpg (broken link)

NOT to scare you etc...
But since you are concerned, next time you seethem put them in a baggie and call a pest company to come out...They will come out for free.

If you can pull your baseboard away you can see if they are indeed termites, they will have burrowed through the back of the baseboard.
Even if not you should be able to see what it is since they are living back behind there.

They look way too small to be silverfish...but maybe you are having a nymph silverfish invasion!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2008, 01:01 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,222,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcamber View Post
hmmm to be honest I'm not sure. They're so tiny I would have to look with a magnifying glass. I will do it next time and confirm this... are silverfish incredibly small? notice they are laying on the grout between my tiles which can't be wider than 1/4 inch.

thanks!
From what you describe, I don't believe they're silverfish. I've never seen one I couldn't detect right away what it was. They're definitely not incredibly small and do get pretty large as one poster indicated.

Old 07-20-2008, 01:00 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,079,672 times
I don't think they are silverfish either. I haven't seen silverfish very often, so I don't have any particular feelings about them. I have a friend who likes to go to "Long John Silverfish", as he calls it!

Old 07-20-2008, 04:57 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,222,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I don't think they are silverfish either. I haven't seen silverfish very often, so I don't have any particular feelings about them. I have a friend who likes to go to "Long John Silverfish", as he calls it!
That's cute, but hearing that turns me off to their food. Just kidding; I'd go anyway.

Old 07-22-2008, 12:03 PM

295 posts, read 945,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5stones View Post
NOT to scare you etc...
But since you are concerned, next time you seethem put them in a baggie and call a pest company to come out...They will come out for free.
Exactly what I will do next time I see them.

Thanks!

Old 07-22-2008, 02:00 PM

Will they "come out for free"? I didn't think they would do anything free of charge.

Old 07-22-2008, 04:48 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,840,314 times
Quote:
Will they "come out for free"? I didn't think they would do anything free of charge.
Yep The majortiy will come out and do a "free estimate".
I had 2 local companies come out as well as Orkin and Terminix. We went with Terminix. They all looked at my bug and did a whole house inspection, inside and out, garage and attic etc... then gave me a written estimate.

The prices and redimies all varied greatly...but the conclusion was ALL the same. I had termites, but caught it early and only a "localized" area.

Old 07-23-2008, 10:24 PM

Sure, they'll do an estimate for free. I didn't realize that was what you were talking about. Mea culpa.

Glad to hear it was just a 'localized area'.

Old 07-24-2008, 07:33 AM

5 posts, read 10,253 times
Sure looks like silver fish. Very common in Florida and along the Gulf Coast. You can controls them but very hard to get rid of them. Don't keep paper bags or news papers lying around or in the garage. They love to nest in them.

Old 07-24-2008, 08:08 AM

22 posts, read 132,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kowpot View Post
Sure looks like silver fish. Very common in Florida and along the Gulf Coast. You can controls them but very hard to get rid of them. Don't keep paper bags or news papers lying around or in the garage. They love to nest in them.
I live in FL and have never seen silverfish that small. They are number one on my list of bugs I absolutely can't stand right alongside cockroaches and palmetto bugs (giant flying FL cockroaches). The silverfish around here are about a 1/2 inch long, or at the very least, 1/4 inch. The ones in the picture look like they are just above microscopic...which really creeps me out being that I'll be living in that area in a week.

Please tell me that not all TX bugs are shrunken like this. As much as I hate roaches, I'd much rather deal with one 2 incher that I can see versus a million tiny ones that look like moving dust. YUCK!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
View detailed profiles of: