U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2008, 02:53 PM

295 posts, read 877,618 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I have been a resident of the DFW area (specifically Keller) for the past 6 months. We bought a house back in March and I need help identifying a few bugs...

First, the other day we saw tiny little insects that were so small they looked like dust. I saw them moving around the tiles in the living room floor and for a minute I thought it was grout residue/grout dust. Then I realized it was insects and I vaccumed them. Any idea what these are?

Also, I have seen a good number of spiders. The typical brown spider I have seen in the past. I guess I have not seen one that looked different and with the stories I've heard on brown recluses I wonder what they look. I will google them but are there any rules of thumb I should know as far as recluses goes? I have killed 3 black widows BTW. I have sprayed with the Ortho home defense spray but I'm not sure that is doing much. Any recommendations as to what I can do to keep them away?

And last, the crickets drive me insane. Just last night I had one chirping outside of my bedroom window so loud I could not sleep. I applied the year-round insecticide on the lawn and they did go away for a while but now they're back like crazy. Do you apply this stuff more than once a year? or any other ideas to keep crickets QUIET??

thanks!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 04:17 PM

11,878 posts, read 34,568,990 times
Ortho Home Defense is some pretty good stuff, but it may not kill everything. It sounds like you may have mites or something. I see those very small (are they red?) insects outside in the rocky area around my pool; my guess is they are some kind of mite. I'm no expert. I recently bought some stuff from Bayer that you can spray around the outside of your house that takes care of a wide range of bothersome insects and it seems to work very well. As for Black Widows or Brown Recluse (fingers crossed), thankfully we've seen none of those around here.

Old 07-01-2008, 07:36 PM

3,043 posts, read 11,036,474 times
in OK we had brown recluses. I was bitten by very tiny nymph ones. I still have a scar from one. They are NASTY, but easy to Identify... have a dark fiddle shape markings on thier back. AKA... the fiddle back spider, they will hide in dark places, closets etc... we had some hatch in a sofa that had been in storage. (not a pretty story)

The black widows are also easy to ID..very shiny black and have a red hour glass marking on thier back. They jump when threatened.

We use a bug guy that sprays every season...so far just a few dead spiders, and silverfish (I hate them)...but he sprays the inside and the outside.

Next time take a picture of the mite things....can't help you on that one.

Old 07-01-2008, 08:00 PM

32,557 posts, read 51,151,280 times
brown recluse are BAD__BAD---if they bite a child take to emergency room ASAP--much protein/tissue/nerve damage...
yuck...
black widows are bad too
did you not have your house treated before you moved in--we don't much like exterminators coming seasonally--contact spray as needed really but we ALWAYS have the exterminators come in before we move into a house -- new constructin or resale--our real estate agent always took care of it for us...
that way the house can be sealed and no furniture or clothing to get in the way--spray pretty heavy and then it will air out when movers are bringing stuff in---

Old 07-01-2008, 08:05 PM

5,296 posts, read 12,239,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5stones View Post
The black widows are also easy to ID..very shiny black and have a red hour glass marking on thier back. They jump when threatened.
Actually it's the female black widow who has the red mark, most usually in the shape of an hour glass, but it's on her abdomen, not her back. The male BW has light streaks on his abdomen, but he is rarely seen as the female eats him after mating. The female is the only dangerous one to humans.

The black widow is not aggressive. It will, however, bite instinctively when touched or pressed. I have never heard of them jumping so I did a search and can't find that they do.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
Actually it's the female black widow who has the red mark, most usually in the shape of an hour glass, but it's on her abdomen, not her back. The male BW has light streaks on his abdomen, but he is rarely seen as the female eats him after mating. The female is the only dangerous one to humans.

The black widow is not aggressive. It will, however, bite instinctively when touched or pressed. I have never heard of them jumping so I did a search and can't find that they do.
I killed two black widows (about the size of a dime including legs) but the other day I was trimming my yard and came across a HUGE one (about the size of a quarter) and literally jumped at the trimmer when I went by. I tried to kill it but ran off. Fortunately, it was not near the house but on the fence.

I did not have the house sprayed prior to moving in. I did have a termite inspection done prior though and passed it with flying colors. The house is new construction so not sure what to do besides what I have already done: sprayed around the house with ortho, spreaded two bags of insecticide, one for all kinds of insects, the other specific to fire ants. I have not seen a single fire ant mound in my yard (and it's pretty big, about .20 acre).

But the little insect thing definitely bugs me. I'll take pictures next time .

Thanks everyone!

Old 07-02-2008, 09:43 AM

38 posts, read 181,540 times
When we lived in a brand new house, we found Black Widow, mice, and all kinds of insects. After exterminator treated inside/outside the house, they still managed to come back. Especially the pincher bugs and spiders

Our current house is not brand new, but has Built-In Pest Control System. There are tubes inside the wall that exterminators can spray between interior/exterior walls. In addition, the previous owner sealed everywhere with silicon. So we are bugs free We also have a lizard, gecko and frogs that eat bags. As long as they stay outside, we try to not disturb them

Old 07-02-2008, 10:59 AM

3,043 posts, read 11,036,474 times
Quote:
female black widow who has the red mark, most usually in the shape of an hour glass, but it's on her abdomen, not her back.
thanks for the correction...I was going by memory. I did find out that they can be orange and yellowish as well. young black widows will have orange markings.
But the one we killed did jump.

here's a site that's fun and informative... What's That Bug? (http://www.whatsthatbug.com/index.html - broken link)

Old 07-02-2008, 09:08 PM

1,538 posts, read 6,710,476 times
Is it a new house you moved into? Pests are pretty common in new construction. Bugs can squeeze in just about anywhere, but keep you eye out for any places they can be getting in. Perhaps under a door or window that does not close tight enough. Check the pipes ender your sink, sometimes there is gapping where the pipe goes through the wall.

If you don't have any outdoor pets sprinkle a good pesticide around your foundation.

Old 07-03-2008, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryS80 View Post
Is it a new house you moved into? Pests are pretty common in new construction. Bugs can squeeze in just about anywhere, but keep you eye out for any places they can be getting in. Perhaps under a door or window that does not close tight enough. Check the pipes ender your sink, sometimes there is gapping where the pipe goes through the wall.

If you don't have any outdoor pets sprinkle a good pesticide around your foundation.

Hi Mary,

Yes, it is new construction. Like I mentioned before, I have sprayed the ortho stuff around once (and will do it again this weekend) and also spreaded two bags of insecticide. One for all kinds of insects and the other specific just to fire ants.

if you know of products in specific you think I should try, please let me know! again, I'm new to the area and whatever solutions are proven to work. So if you can make a recommendation, I will appreciate it .

thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
View detailed profiles of: