U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Considering relocation from Kentucky to Fort Worth Texas, retail management position, friendly people, Sundance Square proximity, information needed on Seattle, NYC, and Houston

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 12:02 AM

4,114 posts, read 9,736,875 times

Advertisements

I must say that the one time I visited Texas in 2001 rendered such a great impression on me (statewide, not just your city) that I've wanted to live there ever since. Just as equally I want to get the #*$* out of Kentucky!

I've been given the option of pursuing a retail management position. My company will allow me to choose an assortment of metro areas in which I am willing to work.

I am 22, male, single, no children, and a recent college grad. I'd like to live in a city with people friendlier, less "standoffish," and, well, not as, uhmmm...white trash and scroungy (in dress, attitude and behavior) overall than much of Kentucky. (Mind you, I'm not pretentious; I'm not scoping out the Dallas forums! )

I'm a friendly guy, great with people, and have plans very soon (18 mos. or less) to pursue a Master's degree conjunctively while working. The job would start at $40-48K yearly and would be near I-20 & I-820. I'm not a heavy-duty partier (in fact, kinda reserved,) but how close is that to Sundance Square, TCU, and other apparently gravitational areas for 20-somethings?

Any and all help is appreciated in advance. I'm trying to gather info about Seattle, NYC and Houston, among several other cities, but can honestly say that something about Ft. Worth really, truly intrigues me. I'll have plenty of questions!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 07:20 AM

11,878 posts, read 34,552,972 times
Fort Worth is a great city. The area around where you will be working is about 15 minutes from Sundance Square and maybe a few minutes more to TCU. For a single person making 48K, you will be able to live nicely.

Out of the other cities on your list, if you were making 48K, only Houston would be liveable on that kind of salary.

Good luck!

Old 07-06-2008, 08:01 AM

362 posts, read 1,609,003 times
I think that Fort Worth is a great city that may fit what you're looking for. I think Seattle could be great too. NYC would be a struggle on your budget. Although Houston has some great museums, I'm not a huge fan of that city aside from that. Too humid and too much traffic and smog for me.

Old 07-06-2008, 09:44 AM

Location: DFW, specializing in NE Tarrant County, Southlake, Westlake, Keller, Grapevine, Trophy Club, Roanoke
77 posts, read 308,205 times
Synopis nailed it!

I lived on the east coast for twelve years as a single guy and cannot even fathom trying to support my modest lifestyle on $48K in NYC or Seattle!

You can be quite comfy in the Ft Worth area on that kind of budget.

Old 07-06-2008, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Fort Worth is a great city. The area around where you will be working is about 15 minutes from Sundance Square and maybe a few minutes more to TCU. For a single person making 48K, you will be able to live nicely.

Out of the other cities on your list, if you were making 48K, only Houston would be liveable on that kind of salary.

Good luck!
Yeah, I figure I'll be able to live quite nicely on 40-48K in places like Houston and Ft. Worth, as well as practically any Southern and Midwestern city (save for Miami and Chicago.)

Mind you, if I were to end up in Seattle or NYC, the income would be adjusted for the cost of living. Still, the dollar would still go considerably far in Washington b/c they have no state and local income taxes and I won't own property.

Anyway, back on topic. What would be the best areas for a 20-something to live in where apartments run less than $900/mo.? Sundance Square/Downtown? TCU area? Stockyards area? Camp Bowie Blvd.? I've heard those are all nice areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honu1 View Post
I think that Fort Worth is a great city that may fit what you're looking for. I think Seattle could be great too. NYC would be a struggle on your budget. Although Houston has some great museums, I'm not a huge fan of that city aside from that. Too humid and too much traffic and smog for me.
Yeah, that's my only concern with Houston is the massive humidity and general lack of public rail transportation--which they are improving over the next four years. Hey, Fort Worth has great museums, too.

I'm used to traffic. Many people don't know this, but Lexington, KY has remarkably bad rush hour traffic for it to be a city of only 270,000 people. It's actually more like a sprawling suburban small town. I've seen better flow in rush hour traffic in Dallas and Atlanta!

On that note, what is bad traffic by Fort Worth standards?

Old 07-07-2008, 12:50 AM

4 posts, read 10,887 times
You would most likely enjoy living in Fort Worth. I grew up in IN so I know what you mean about the area (KY). I lived in Atlanta for many years and just LOVE the south. You could not pry me out of Texas. It is the BEST place I have ever lived by FAR!!!!! But it is HOT here!!! LOL

Old 07-07-2008, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodIsLove View Post
You would most likely enjoy living in Fort Worth. I grew up in IN so I know what you mean about the area (KY). I lived in Atlanta for many years and just LOVE the south. You could not pry me out of Texas. It is the BEST place I have ever lived by FAR!!!!! But it is HOT here!!! LOL
Yeah, I too love the South. There are a few places in the North and West that I think would be interesting and with great people. Mostly, though, I like the feel of the South. Kentucky gets very hot and humid, too, but it just doesn't stay that way as long as it does farther South.

Side note: I've read a little bit about the Crosstimbers region in western Dallas and eastern Tarrant Counties. I guess that helps to dispel the myth that the Metroplex is nothing but flat, barren prairie!

Old 07-13-2008, 08:07 PM

22 posts, read 81,546 times
I am from Washington and am very familiar with Seattle if you have any questions on that area.

The outdoor recreation and scenery is great in the Pacific NW, but I don't think Seattle is the right fit for the type of person you are. My husband and I are young and fairly conservative, non-partiers, that believe in values, but are in no way staunchy, or narrow-minded. Well, Seattle is about as liberal as it gets and I think you'd be in for a shock. We love visiting Seattle every once in awhile to shop and do some sight seeing, but to live there, yikes, that's a whole other story. They rally in protest (constantly) on the streets and scream (literally) at people about political agendas and politics. Usually, very flamin' liberal view points and if you don't agree, they aren't happy. I have even seen them verbally bash and gang up on people during street protest who don't agree.

It's very immature in ways, but is a beautiful area. The cost of living will be higher than in the south, but I'm not familiar with the different taxes you pay so it's hard to compare those. There is sales tax, but no state income tax. It's about 8-9%. I do know rent will be more expensive and depending on whether or not you're actually working in Seattle, the commute won't be fun. It's known for it's terrible commute. Where exactly is this store located?

Old 07-13-2008, 08:11 PM

22 posts, read 81,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm1986 View Post
I must say that the one time I visited Texas in 2001 rendered such a great impression on me (statewide, not just your city) that I've wanted to live there ever since. Just as equally I want to get the #*$* out of Kentucky!

I've been given the option of pursuing a retail management position. My company will allow me to choose an assortment of metro areas in which I am willing to work.

I am 22, male, single, no children, and a recent college grad. I'd like to live in a city with people friendlier, less "standoffish," and, well, not as, uhmmm...white trash and scroungy (in dress, attitude and behavior) overall than much of Kentucky. (Mind you, I'm not pretentious; I'm not scoping out the Dallas forums! )

I'm a friendly guy, great with people, and have plans very soon (18 mos. or less) to pursue a Master's degree conjunctively while working. The job would start at $40-48K yearly and would be near I-20 & I-820. I'm not a heavy-duty partier (in fact, kinda reserved,) but how close is that to Sundance Square, TCU, and other apparently gravitational areas for 20-somethings?

Any and all help is appreciated in advance. I'm trying to gather info about Seattle, NYC and Houston, among several other cities, but can honestly say that something about Ft. Worth really, truly intrigues me. I'll have plenty of questions!

I forgot to mention, Seattle is known for it's rudeness, although you cannot stereotype everyone into that category. We've encountered lots of friendliness, but there's no southern hospitality so to say. People are more pragmatic there. No one will go out of there way to help you.

And there's lot of homeless people too. They are definately not afraid to approach you either! We have many transient stories in our file. So, you'd have to learn to work with that as well as get use to that.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:34 AM

32,541 posts, read 51,077,194 times
when you say 20/820--there is the SW part of FTW and the SE part of FTW that meet that intersection--SW being the Benbrook area w of Hulen and SE being the Lake Arlington/Pantego/SE FTW area
personally the SW is much better location although you might conside some parts of it are similar to how you described KY

living on less than 900 a month in NICE apt is probably doable---
go to Google maps--find your business location and then check for apartments--will show ones closest and there are usually links to sites with comments/reviews--pretty easy and current info for most part as well
like around the SW 20/820 intersection Coffee Creek apts and River Place are first two to come up--
beware that any apartment complex that has 2 and 3 bedroom apts COULD have some section 8 residents--that seems to be way many management companies are helping out their bottom lines since there are tax abatements that come with hosting section 8 renters--I don't know if you can find out by asking if complex DOES rent that way...
Hulen--Bryant Irwin area is upscale/retail/commercial/residential area--

SE part of FTW around 20/820 has big pockets of low-income, minority households--apts with section 8 residents--
you could live in N Arlington which has some more up-scale apts and commute
or live in Mid-Cities like Grapevine/Bedford/N Euless and commute to that area
or even in Sundance Sq
The Historic Electric Building Apartments (http://www.hebuilding.com/modules/web/index.php/id/1 - broken link)
some awesome apts/views but nothing on site about the rents...

Hillside apartments get some good reviews off links on Google map--they are off to east of Sundance SQ--have townhomes as well as garden homes--no prices on website--could be pretty noisy because of location

not recommending any--just saying you have lots of options depending on where you ae working--
remember public transport within FTW city limits--SW part by Benbrook has bus service and inside the Loop on SE side--not sure how far it goes
Sundance Sq is very walkable/liveable but it is urban--noisy even on weekends--not that convenient for some type of shopping like groceries--few places to walk pets if you want/have a dog...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth