U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2008, 06:51 PM

44 posts, read 131,896 times

Advertisements

Hi. I am looking for a charter school close to Euless..not Treetops,as they have no nurse(can't quite believe that).Any help would be most apprecitated. Also,which of the middle schools in the HEB are the safest?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 10:21 AM

32,551 posts, read 51,093,178 times
Harwood is probably the most upscale/white-collar middle school--then Bedford JH--
are you starting to get freaked because your daughter was zoned for Euless---
I think euless is probably way stricter than Bedford jr high
and all middle schools in HEB -- just like any other district--can have problems with fights/drugs/gangs
no matter what the ISD or some parents might say
my kids went to Harwood years ago--and there were teen parties with drinking and drugs back then--not many but some--and not her friends so she did not go--but she heard about them-- I doubt that everyone has totally stopped doing that...

there is a church school on cheek sparger road just east of brown trail
not euless but fairly close since cheek sparger runs into north part of euless before getting to airport property...

Old 07-14-2008, 09:03 AM

Default Yup!

Yes, I am getting freaked out-pretty perceptive of you! I had to laugh!.The only thing that really bothers me is what I have read regarding the "boot camp" discipline there. I am all for discipline and dress codes, but we had the same thing last year, and for a child who virtually does nothing wrong, it was very disconcerting. She was totally unprepared for being treated that way. She loves to learn, and I really felt that there was not much being done to nuture that, too busy yelling and threatening (the kids who needed it), but you get my drift. I just want to have an alternate plan, if need be. We are not white collar-I am a nurse and hubby works at Bell,but education it SO important.Just want her to have a good year. Thank you.

Old 07-14-2008, 10:15 AM

yes--I can see where that type of atmosphere would not be that attractive

what have you read/heard that has caused you to think that--
from what I have heard seventh grade is most difficult because students come from different elementary schools and a variety of discipline patterns--schools are more variable in discipline/policies like homework/tardiness--no dress code--
when they get to 7th grade there is probably a boot-camp attitude because they are trying to get them to shape up and follow the uniform code of conduct---there are lots of failures the first 6 weeks because the kids think they won't really enforce all the rules--they do---BIG surprise to kids and parents--BIG surprise to football players in particular-
8th grade is better--by 9th grade few problems--even though they are starting to feel their oats due to being top dogs in jr high...and frankly many kids who could not conform have left for easier pastures...

What about Bedford (Harwood or Bedford Jr High--there is new principal there this coming year) if you are concerned about Euless--
I live in Bedford and have for more than 20 years--it is a nice town and most subdivisions north of the freeway are in pretty good shape although they are older...I think HEB ISD gets a lot out of its teachers/facilities considering the way the demographics have changed over the past 20 years...

and just because I am curious--does your name have anything to do with Coach Jim Wacker--I went to Texas Lutheran in Seguin he was the football coach the year after I was graduated--it took a lot of character to call TCU's football program into question like he did when he and the school took the blame for what another coach had done--TCU failed to really see the honor in it probably but I thought it illustrated what being a great coach was all about

Last edited by loves2read; 07-14-2008 at 10:36 AM..

Old 07-14-2008, 09:16 PM

Default Not familiar with Coach Wacker

Nope,sorry, I have never heard of him. I am actually a die hard Green Bay Packer fan, but may have to keep it under wraps once we are actually living in Texas! Although, Brett Favre's indecisiveness on whether or not to retire is really irritating, and is making me question his sanity Back to school. I love your screen name-we love to read at our house,as well. I would rather have a good book any day of the week,than cable TV...which is why we have never had cable. I know that my daughter's love of learning comes from the love of reading that we share. In her previous school, I actually like the dress code,but is wasn't enforced very well. When I questioned the administrator about the repeated violations that my daughter and I were observing, his response was as follows: "well,when I call the parents they tell me that that shirt cost 20 dollars and so their child is going to wear it". My response was something to the effect of, "so who is in charge here?" My daughter is already practically "afraid" of teachers. She has respect for them-she would never talk back,etc. I guess my point is that every assembly was a lot of yelling,threatening,etc because of the actions of a few. It wasn't positive for the folks (the majority) who were very well behaved. I just so want her to have a good positive year. The comments I read I believe I found on the "great schools" website. I also am not sure what the "school of choice" is in Texas-can you enlighten me? You sound like perhaps you were once a teacher-or just a very involved mom Anyway, I really appreciate your thoughts and comments.

Old 07-15-2008, 03:39 PM

yes--I taught in HEB -- am retired now--
I don't think you would see an assembly at Euless jr high where the principal was "yelling" at the students about behaving--could be wrong but think it is managed better than that

school of choice:
public schools in TX are funded by money from the state taken from tax levies and money from the district the schools serve--from their tax levies--
a district can have schools of choice if it allows students to enroll who do not live INSIDE its own boundaries and would normally go to another district---

when an ISD accepts a student like that I think it get the STATE's part of funding monies--and recoups from the student what the per-child payment would be...so the parents do pay tuiton to some extent

some people do it if they live in certain area but want their children to have a access to something they think is done better
LD Bell band's is one of the best in the US--and the gymnastics program in both are also excellent--Trinity has a great football program--it used to be cutting edge for its special ed programs--don't know so much about now--HEB has Suzuki Strings in several elem schools but program is in such demand I think only in-district kids can get in--and not all of those--

if students are moving for athletic or UIL sponsored event participation I think they have to be enrolled a year before they can actually play---
if it is for academic reasons -- like the IB program--that is not affected
I have not know many students who actually did that unless their parents were teachers and they lived in another district--when it is children of staff--the tuition is forgiven I think...

if you are able to tour the school I would encourage you to visit Euless and talk with the administration--look at the school web site and the teachers pages and look at how they do their homework--some of the info from last year is still up there

there is apparently going to be a new 9th grade english teacher and because of the way the district does in service I don't know any of the jr high english teachers...

most of the personal web pages I saw showed that teachers have been there more than 5 years and many have masters and were certified in their teaching subjects--that speaks highly for the quality of teaching there...there are some teachers who have taken alternative certification but there are teachers who have done that in almost any district in TX since the policy changed several years ago...

send me a PM if you have any other questions--where are you going to be living--North of 183 in Euless
the district allows inter-district transfers but not sure how the timing on that works and it depends on available space

Old 11-10-2009, 07:59 PM

1 posts, read 6,411 times
Default Charter school info near Euless TX

My brother moved to Euless TX about 2 years ago and is believed to be teaching in a charter school in that area. Our Mom is elderly and misses him terribly. His phone is disconnected and we have no clue where he lives. Would anyone in the Euless area be able to give me a listing of the Charter schools in that area so I may attempt to find him thru his employer? Thanks!

Old 11-16-2009, 08:48 AM

you can google charter schools Tarrant county and get that info

Old 01-20-2010, 07:18 PM

1 posts, read 6,114 times
i am in 7th grade and i failed 5th and 7th im 15 and i was wondering is there any schools that will help me get credits in euless or close to euless besides winfee and keys?

Old 01-22-2010, 10:25 AM

can't your counselor help you with this question
they should know about ALL options
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth