Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 12:47 PM

60 posts, read 252,775 times

Advertisements

I have lived in the UK, Australia and most recently California and was wondering if there were any major law differences between California and Texas ?

Specifically I am looking at driving laws and general laws that would affect you on a day-to-day basis.

Are there things I should not do here in TX that I could do in CA or vice versa ?
I heard the gun laws are different as well as trespass laws ?

Alcohol sales seem to have different laws here too especially here in Tarrant County.

If there are reference websites I could go to that would be great.

cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 06:20 PM

1,379 posts, read 6,423,963 times
From what I have found there aren't that many differences between TX and CA.

The one that stands out most is that you don't have to wear a helmet while riding a motorcycle where it is law in CA. Also, tractor trailer rigs are allowed to drive in fast lanes (left most lane) where in CA it is against the law.

The gun laws are much different as conceal and carry permits are easier to get here in TX.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:51 PM

11,852 posts, read 26,850,435 times
For the average employee, Texas is an emploER-friendly state, while California is an employEE-friendly state. In Texas, an employer can fire you for "good cause, bad cause, or no cause" and they aren't required to give you your last paycheck as they walk you out the door like in California. Texas also only has the federal minimum wage, not a state wage like in CA, and only has the basic FMLA leave, not other leave laws like in California.

Unlike California, in Texas, just about anyone can own whatever kind of gun they want to, and it can be kept in their house, or their car, and use it to defend themselves. If you want to carry a concealed weapon on your person, you'll need to get a CHL permit.

Liquor in Texas can only be bought at a liquor store, not in the grocery store like in CA. Most towns sell beer & wine in the grocery store, but some do not.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:01 AM

5,412 posts, read 15,917,184 times
^ ChristieP, that last part is incorrect. In TX, one can buy liquor in a grocery store as well.

Another big diff. is CA bans smoking in public places throughout the state. In TX, however, it depends on the local laws. For e.g., FW just passed a law effective 1/1/08 that smoking is prohibited in restaurants, but allowed in bars.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:23 AM

60 posts, read 252,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
For the average employee, Texas is an emploER-friendly state, while California is an employEE-friendly state. In Texas, an employer can fire you for "good cause, bad cause, or no cause" and they aren't required to give you your last paycheck as they walk you out the door like in California. Texas also only has the federal minimum wage, not a state wage like in CA, and only has the basic FMLA leave, not other leave laws like in California.

Unlike California, in Texas, just about anyone can own whatever kind of gun they want to, and it can be kept in their house, or their car, and use it to defend themselves. If you want to carry a concealed weapon on your person, you'll need to get a CHL permit.

Liquor in Texas can only be bought at a liquor store, not in the grocery store like in CA. Most towns sell beer & wine in the grocery store, but some do not.

Having been at the short end and a couple of occasions I would say CA is an empolyER friendly state as employment is "at-will" and they can terminate your emplyement without any reason. I know, I was once when a manager decided I was a threat to her job !!

Also, I understnd that liquer laws are set at the COUNTY level in TX so each county is usually different ?

Anyone know of any major driving rule differences ?

Old 02-06-2008, 09:57 AM

397 posts, read 1,025,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post

Yes, employment law in TX is an entirely different beast. The body of employment law in CA is significant in scope, with many protections that do not exist in TX. I have seen some very interesting employment situations coming out of TX, and if you plan on working in TX, you should be very sure about your contract, benefits etc.

These are general observations only and do not constitute legal advice in any way, nor does it create an attorney-client relationship.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guingirl View Post
From what I have found there aren't that many differences between TX and CA.

The one that stands out most is that you don't have to wear a helmet while riding a motorcycle where it is law in CA. Also, tractor trailer rigs are allowed to drive in fast lanes (left most lane) where in CA it is against the law.

The gun laws are much different as conceal and carry permits are easier to get here in TX.
Yes, I must say the "no helmets" rule has always astounded me. I've been told that TX also used to ban riding without a helmet, but that the law had been repealed. Whoever was responsible for that....

Old 02-06-2008, 04:12 PM

1,379 posts, read 6,423,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen_SDCA View Post
Yes, I must say the "no helmets" rule has always astounded me. I've been told that TX also used to ban riding without a helmet, but that the law had been repealed. Whoever was responsible for that....
Well Texas is very much of a take responsibility for yourself state. If someone wishes to be an idiot and not where a helmet, well then there is Darwinism at its finest for ya. And honestly, I love not being in a nanny state.

Old 02-06-2008, 04:18 PM

23 posts, read 164,624 times
In Fort Worth the city highway speed limit is 60 MPH while in southern CA it's 65 MPH. In CA we all know 65 MPH means 75 MPH is OK. But in Fort Worth they'll nail you.

Old 02-06-2008, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guingirl View Post
Well Texas is very much of a take responsibility for yourself state. If someone wishes to be an idiot and not where a helmet, well then there is Darwinism at its finest for ya. And honestly, I love not being in a nanny state.
That's interesting logic. This form of reasoning has never stopped Texas from enacting, later found to be unconstitutional, anti-sodomy and anti-abortion laws. I'd personally rather live in a safety-conscious "nanny state" than one where the popular "religious concensus" dictates how individuals live their lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth