Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2008, 06:48 PM

23 posts, read 73,761 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I lived in Tarrant County before and I am trying to get a job and move back to the area. However, being an out of state applicant (Indiana) is really hurting my chances.
I have a CDL Class B with "X" endorsement (Hazmat plus Tank) and I see several job openings online, but nobody is interested in hiring me because I live in Indiana. What should I do? Any ideas? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2008, 10:01 PM

48 posts, read 182,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynwms View Post
Hi everyone. I lived in Tarrant County before and I am trying to get a job and move back to the area. However, being an out of state applicant (Indiana) is really hurting my chances.
I have a CDL Class B with "X" endorsement (Hazmat plus Tank) and I see several job openings online, but nobody is interested in hiring me because I live in Indiana. What should I do? Any ideas? Thank you.
First of all, what exactly do you mean that no one is interested in hiring you? Are you just not getting any calls, or do you get them and then they tell you no because you are out of state?

If you aren't getting any calls, I would use a friend or relative's address and get an 817 phone number through Vonage or something. If a recruiter is looking to hire someone local, they aren't going to call you with an Indiana phone number. Also, you need to be prepared to relocate yourself because most companies aren't going to pay for this except for at a "director" level position or higher. So, once you get a call, let them know that you are in the process of moving back down to TX and tell them not to worry about relo expenses and that you want to get something lined up for when you get to TX. You also may need to travel down here for interviews.

The other option is if you have a friend or relative to stay with, to move down here and get a job after you arrive. However, you would really need to research the job market for your career field to make sure it's not going to be a problem.

Good luck

Old 08-13-2008, 09:54 AM

8,307 posts, read 38,666,280 times
Quote:
Check out Frac Tech, Weatherford, Halliburton and Schlumberger. You will have to make an appearance at any of the above district offices, but you will be hired on the spot. Relocation will not be covered, but you will start at $13-$14/hour and probably get 85 hours each week. You will have to move up to a class A, but the company will train you in-house and it will be at no expense to you. Already having a Hazmat guarantees that you will be hired immediately.

This will be hard, hard work but good pay and good benefits. Most of those guys make around $75K to $80 first year. DM me if you want more information.

Old 08-19-2008, 10:50 AM

67 posts, read 131,685 times
Quote:
Are you an indpendent trucker or do you work for a trucking company? We moved here from Indiana, and my husband has a CDL with endorsements. We can try to answer your ques with more info.

Old 08-25-2008, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntlucy View Post
Are you an indpendent trucker or do you work for a trucking company? We moved here from Indiana, and my husband has a CDL with endorsements. We can try to answer your ques with more info.
No, I'm not independent; I only have a Class B so I can't go OTR or anything like that. I'm looking for a construction dump truck job or maybe propane or oil hauling. But I'm open to pretty much anything that's out there, but I know my options are somewhat limited with a B.

Old 08-25-2008, 02:40 PM

I should also add that I don't have anyone to stay with in TX, and I don't mind if I have to pay for relocation. I just want to get down there and start a decent paying job. I appreciate all the help so far.

-Ryan

Old 08-26-2008, 07:42 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,504,574 times
we drove through north- east TX area in past couple of weeks and saw several trucking companies with drivers wanted signs

have your check the texas workforce commission on line--there are plenty of job links there...

Old 08-26-2008, 10:27 AM

24 posts, read 75,375 times
I live in Tyler, my husband has a Class A, plus operates heavy equipment. Do not come to East Texas. He has been driving and operating for 20 years..He is only making 12.50 per hour and that seems to be high. They don't pay crap here. We just moved to Tyler in June from Nevada, and we are considering moving closer to DFW. There are a lot more opportunities all the way around. East Texas is absolutely gorgeous, and the people wonderful, but you can not make a decent living, unless you go OTR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth