U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 07:39 PM

15 posts, read 47,208 times

Advertisements

Hi -- My husband and I are relocating to FW next year and we do not enjoy living in surburbia. We prefer historical areas that have character, not areas where every house looks the same. However, we also are looking for an area that is well-kept and safe. We also will be starting a family soon and would like to know information on whether any of the historical areas have good schools. From our experience, the historical areas typically have the worst schools.

Any information would be very helpful. Thanks in advance!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2007, 07:44 PM

2,214 posts, read 6,709,977 times
Juliana,

You will get better responses if you include more detail such as price range, type of housing needed (bedrooms/baths, etc.), job location, etc. Otherwise, you may get great suggestions on historical areas, but they may be way out of your price range. That's never fun.

Old 01-29-2007, 07:53 PM

15 posts, read 47,208 times
Thanks for the tip!

We are looking at spending between $350K and $400K. Would prefer 4 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms at a minimum, but would consider less rooms if we can't get that much house for our price range. We will be working in/near downtown FW, so near downtown would be great.

Also, is TCU near the downtown area? I had heard the TCU area had some historical areas.

Old 01-30-2007, 08:43 PM

3 posts, read 19,657 times
A more historical area for you would be Mistletoe Heights. It has many beautiful old homes of varying sizes. It is just to the east of the TCU area and on the edge of downtown. TCU area does not really have any "historical" areas - just a lot of beautiful homes that vary in size and price. I think the Mistletoe Heights area would be more in line with what you are looking for. The main road way through this area is Forest Park.

Old 02-02-2007, 09:50 PM

2 posts, read 16,990 times
Would you consider living downtown in a condo? There are some great ones there !!

Old 02-06-2007, 09:13 AM

23 posts, read 128,353 times
What kind of prices are we talking for a town house in or around the downtown area?? Nothing really big, 3 bedrooms 2 bathrooms would do, two car garage, small yard.... I'm relocating there this summer. Thanks for any info.

Old 02-07-2007, 02:50 PM

11 posts, read 54,600 times
Good grief, for that budget ($350-400k), you could pretty much buy a mansion in the general Fort Worth area. Seriously people.

Yes, the area near TCU is a great historical district.

Old 02-22-2007, 02:26 PM

3 posts, read 39,641 times
You can contact FW Historic Preservation Society or www.fwweekly.com has old homes for sale in Ryan Place neighborhood. Many historic neighborhoods exist in FW, but most are in blighted areas with bad streets. Attempts have been made and continue to be made to do overlays and give tax relief but paying $200,000 for an old home with a crumbling foundation is hardly a bargain when you find out what hoops you have to jump through to make modifications.

Old 03-02-2007, 11:26 AM

32,627 posts, read 51,232,810 times
agree with scruffy's mom--if you are hoping to make a deal on a restored historical home for under 500,000 and probably more, you have not considered the market--you might consider towns outside fort worth if you are willing to make a drive---there are some older homes in Grapevine that come up for sale and there is neat downtown/historical district there....Cedar Hill has same situation but I would consider the type of air quality there from the cement plants further south....
Granbury is small town but an hour's drive from FTW--great historical district and homes...

Do MLS search for home built before 1950 and you should get idea of what is on the market...

Old 09-23-2009, 03:22 PM

17 posts, read 51,677 times
I wouldn't count out Cedar Hill if the drive is not too far for you. I lived in the town just southeast of Cedar Hill all throughout high school and the air is better there than in the DFW area. No polution from cement plants that I ever noticed. The air feels fresher to me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth