Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 07:08 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times

Advertisements

5Stones--consider the source for that info on GCISD
I think poster is concerned with maintaining the "cultural identity" of Southlake
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2008, 08:59 AM

34 posts, read 156,129 times
This is really helping me to understand. Thanks for breaking it down like this. We really do like the Grapevine area but I'm not sure we'll find a home we want there. I'm looking, but nothing is peaking my interest.

We prefer a one story home on 1/2 of an acre or bigger in a established, well kept neighborhood/area.

I'm targeting a couple of neighborhoods that I really like and that feed into Keller High School. And may add some Southlake and Grapevine neighborhoods to the list.

We are also still considering Southlake but I'm still not sure if I want to invest that much in my primary residence.

All of these posts are so very helpful, thanks again for your time!

Old 08-30-2008, 09:52 AM

if you want and won't settle for less than half acre lot you won't find it in Grapevine

you MIGHT find it in Keller in older home that needs some updating
and in Southlake it will be an older home that probably needs MORE updating

we looked at home in north Keller yesterday off Mt. Gilead rd east of 377 that was on a one acre lot--
part of the home had some updating but some had not--we just did not care for the floor plan--it was 412 I think but owners were getting ready to spend their money to do more updating--if we bought it we would have gone in about 25K less and said STOP updating since there were other things we would have done...
it had a really nice lot--pretty level but part of it backed to creek and there were homes in area with horses that were visible from the back--we were concerned about the smell effect as well as the floor plan---

Old 08-30-2008, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5stones View Post
yes and the elementary's north Keller (as in near westlake not NW FTworth) are exemplary. Keller Harvel and Florence.
so is the intermediate (Bear creek) and the MS (keller MS) and the HS is Recognised so just looking at that pyramid the district is actually better than GCISD.

And they won't be in Elementary forever.

I was just pointing out that you can't make a blanket statement like...GCISD is better than Keller ISD, "check the stats"
The "Stats" are the same both districts are recognised.

Your OPINION may be that GCISD is better and that's fine but say it's your OPINION.

My opinion is that they both are good solid ISD's. GCISD have a better rep than Keller, as a whole and it's smaller and has less econ. diversity etc...

Also the OP wasn't even asking about GCISD. it was North Keller or Southlake. and that would depend on where your more comfortable with... Keller is more laid back than Southlake.
No one can argue with the excellent ISD in southlake, it's great. But it's very competitive..sports,band,academics etc... Keeping up the "JONES'" is big time.
Southlake HS is comprised of 2 campuses the 9&10 HS is north of 1709 off of White Chappel and the Senior HS is on 1709. They shuttle kids back and forth for classes during the day.
Keller HS is a tradtional 9-12 building. it's crowded and it's older. the crowding will lessen in the next few years after the new HS is open. (2009)

You can get more house for your money in Keller verses Southlake.
5stones, you really net this out well for me. All of this info was floating around in my head but I was having difficulty sorting it out. I guess it is what my ski intructor calls "analysis paralysis."

These are the reasons I keep coming back to North Keller and the exemplary elem, middle and recognized high. Grapevine is great, but I think we'll get more of the kind of home we are looking for in N. Keller.

My husband wants us to learn more about how the top end of the schools compare. He guesses that kids from Keller, Grapevine-Colleyville and Southlake will have excellent resources, opportunities and academics to make it to good colleges.

My next step is to review the school report cards in more depth and to learn which colleges the kids from each of the three districts are going to. Also I'm going to learn more about the A/P programs, advanced math and other resources available at the high schools.

That's all for now...just wanted to let you know where we were in our thought process.

Old 08-30-2008, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
if you want and won't settle for less than half acre lot you won't find it in Grapevine

you MIGHT find it in Keller in older home that needs some updating
and in Southlake it will be an older home that probably needs MORE updating

we looked at home in north Keller yesterday off Mt. Gilead rd east of 377 that was on a one acre lot--
part of the home had some updating but some had not--we just did not care for the floor plan--it was 412 I think but owners were getting ready to spend their money to do more updating--if we bought it we would have gone in about 25K less and said STOP updating since there were other things we would have done...
it had a really nice lot--pretty level but part of it backed to creek and there were homes in area with horses that were visible from the back--we were concerned about the smell effect as well as the floor plan---
We are prepared to update as needed if we buy in Keller or Southlake. We want to make sure we get the right schools, neighborhood/area and the house needs good "bones"...Oh probably good to be concerned about he smell effect...my in-laws have horses and there is a smell and fly effect (horse folks, don't get mad at this...this is just what I find at my in-laws).

Last edited by TamiS; 08-30-2008 at 10:00 AM.. Reason: missing word

Old 08-30-2008, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberland View Post
I live in Southlake. I really do not think that with your budget you can afford Southlake. The median home price is $600K.
I also think that if you could find a home within your price range, you would grow tired of being a "have not" among the rich in this community.
Southlake has awesome schools- Colleyville does as well. The biggest difference is that Carroll ISD-Southlake has about 8,000 students. Colleyville-Grapevine has about 80,000.
If we decide it is worth it...we can adjust our requirements and our budget for a home in SL.

Old 08-31-2008, 08:59 PM

1,383 posts, read 3,432,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamiS View Post
Hello. We are considering a move to North Keller or Southlake. I have two girls ages 4 and 6 and what to create a good educational environment for them.

We would like to keep our home purchase price in the mid to high $300's. We know that our dollars will go further in Keller and that it will be difficult to find something in Southlake that we like at that price.

My delima is...should we spend more money (and have less to live our current lifestyle - basically extra income for trips and investments) or should we take our extra money and put it into a home in Southlake to be able to attend Carroll schools and not have as much extra money to spend?

Thanks for helping me sort this out.
I would go with Keller over Southlake as you can get a big nice house for less than you can get one for in Southlake. If you spend too much on a house, then you will not have any extra money for trips and stuff like you said. Keller is very nice and is growing A LOT. Keller is very new and there is a ton of stores and restaurants there, and more on the way. There is a ton of new housing developments with houses in your price range. The schools are really good and it is a very safe area. Hope this helps!

Old 09-02-2008, 11:19 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,883,491 times
North Keller is very pretty and that's where you will have the best bet finding a 1/2 acre place. There is also a neighborhood east of rufe snow off of simmons rd that has 1/2-1 acre lots very pretty back in there.

But... for under 400k even in Keller a 1/2 is hard to come by. Southlake EVEN harder...and I too don't know of anything in the 400k range on 1/2 in Grapevine. Colleyville will have a few as they have bigger lots there than Grapevine.

We too wanted a 1/2 acre (we had one in PA) and had a tiny lot in VA. but we had to compromise...as is life and ended up witha 1/3 acre corner lot...bigger than most but smaller than we really wanted.

Research the net, I believe last year there was some flooding along Melody lane and that area. (I look at the local paper on-line and research the archives)

Good luck...

Old 09-07-2008, 02:09 PM

22 posts, read 64,165 times
Tami, there is a lot to consider. Do you have a realtor? There is a difference at the high school level when you are considering the kids. There are also differences in the property between the two. It's also important to understand that not all areas within Keller are the same, and the same goes for Southlake. There are going to be tradeoffs either way, so it's important to understand what is most important for you. A realtor could help walk you through this process and show you the differences.

Old 09-08-2008, 06:47 AM

Frankly there are not a LOT of sit-down, nice restaurants in Keller--
for a long time Mezza Luna on 1709 was the ONLY one...
there are some fast food places and a couple of Mexican restaurants that are more than fast food type Taco Bells on Main St--
there are restaurants in the AREA that are close and good but they might be in Southlake or Roanoke (like Babe's fried chicken) or Wautauga

and it is right on target to say that not all areas of Keller are equal--but that is true about almost any town in the Mid-Cities--including Southlake...
the important ranking comes from knowing which is which and definitely which house is overpriced for its area...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth