U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2008, 09:17 PM

93 posts, read 436,926 times

Advertisements

Any recommendation of decent house/townhouse will also be appreciated. Can't do much handy work so prefer that windows do not leak! How can I make sure of things like this?

My price range: 150-250K, size 1000-1600SQFT, location: Downtown Fort Worth, or mid cities. Prefer smaller size but safety/feel safe is very important.

I have looked at 76012 North Arlington, Euless, Irving, Bedford. Is 76012 a good area?

I will be a first time homeowner so I don't know where to start. Any tips on house buying please?

I so have two general questions---

1. Which month tends to have most supply/least demand, thus potentially cheaper price?

2. How much time, in hours, should I invest, from knowing not much about this, to finally close a house/townhouse/condo, including doing research, talk to agents, and all those crap?

Thanks so much guys!

CR
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 07:35 AM

10,571 posts, read 22,495,214 times
There are a LOT of homes on the market in your price range in those areas!! You need a Realtor to help you in your search. They can answer all of your questions, and help you find the right house.

Old 09-17-2008, 07:55 AM

32,612 posts, read 51,207,313 times
the zip code for Bedford is 76021--not 012--
76012 is NOT a zip code I would be looking in if I could afford downtown FTW...

have you done an MLS search
there are a couple at the high end in your price range in downtown FTW that are 2/2--one that is supposedly really discounted in the conversion by the railtracks--some that are 1/1s in other locations, some in the Hulen/Museum areas that are a little less expensive

Bedford has lots of condos for sale in development off Forest Ridge but they do not come up on MLS I used--
there are also some townhomes off Bedford Euless Rd--called Durango Ridge--
but frankly I would buy in FTW over ones in Bedford it I were single, especially if I were working downtown

Old 09-17-2008, 10:25 PM

HI -

how are the Durango Ridge townhouses, in terms of quality and safety, etc? is it gated?

What are helpful websites that I can use to search for listings?

Thanks a lot!

cr

Old 09-19-2008, 01:07 AM

4,192 posts, read 14,075,594 times
Hello CR,

The Villages of Durango are built by Portrait Homes who has been a decent builder in the Metroplex. Townhomes was their specialty until recently (a few years ago) they started to build single family homes too.

This particular community is not gated. The HOA takes care of the yard maintenance too.

Also, keep in mind that townhomes and condos do not appreciate very well in the DFW area. If you are spending that much money, you may want to consider a single family home unless it really is a lifestyle you are seeking. The HOA in this community is $180 a month too. They do have a garage which is a plus.

Are you looking strictly at new construction? If not, may I suggest The San Marino Villas in Euless that are gated, north of 183 and west of 360 built 2002-2005 and in North Richland Hills, there is the Home Town TH built in 2005 located off Davis.

Naima

Old 09-19-2008, 01:13 AM

5,412 posts, read 14,864,128 times
Where will you be working? You'll want to consider the daily traffic and sun blinding.

Old 09-19-2008, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf7 View Post
Where will you be working? You'll want to consider the daily traffic and sun blinding.

I will be working in downtwn fort worth, and north fort worth after 2011.

Any more recommended safe/feel-safe property/subdivisions?

Thanks so much folks.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:09 AM

32,612 posts, read 51,207,313 times
you say I which to me means you are single--do you have plans to marry soon which could cause a property purchase rethink

my daughter married someone who lives in FL south of Sarasota--he moved there from Atlanta and bought a small 1/1 condo because his job involves traveling m-f and he wanted to relax on his weekends--he bought in condo where there are mainly senior citizens but he did not care because it was jsut across street from the beach--when he started dating my daughter he did not want to consider selling the condo eventhough the market at that time probably would have allowed him to do so with a profit--they married and still stayed--market slowed--now there are like 300 condos for sale in his town--they want to start a family but not possible where they live---stuck with that condo for foreseeable future--a long time in my opinon because of excess inventory and fact that some have gone to foreclosure or cut prices way down--he has equity he does not want to walk away from---
no grandkids for me for long time I think---unless they try to turn it into a rental unit and buy second home which means more mortgage debt--again not an idea I really favor...

how secure is your job -- if there is likelyhood that you will be moving within 2-3 years you probably just need to rent--you definitely probably don't want to get a townhome in mid-cities--there is just not strong market or much upside ...

you probably would see more uptick in property bought in downtown FTW than in a townhouse in the Mid-Cities
while the values in Hurst-Bedford area have not really dropped, they do not see the % uptick that Colleville/Grapevine do...

if you are willing to drive a little farther--I would say look at Grapevine-
Good school district if you do marry/have kids in future
good economic prospects
downtown area has positive vibe==good restaurants/entertainment
getting into north part of FTW later would not be that much of problem from Grapevine...
but there is no public transport in Tarrant co except for the TRE which does not go into north FTW

Old 09-19-2008, 12:18 PM

5,412 posts, read 14,864,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossroad View Post
I will be working in downtwn fort worth, and north fort worth after 2011.

Any more recommended safe/feel-safe property/subdivisions?

Thanks so much folks.
You'd probably be best off looking for a condo in downtown FW.

I live on the NW side of town and that is relatively safe and has many new homes, too. It's about a 20-25 min. drive to downtown and 15 min. to the Fossil Creek area (820/35 intersection).

Good luck with your search.

Old 09-19-2008, 04:58 PM

140 posts, read 368,089 times
I would look at the Texas Pacfic loft or westview condos if you are thinking a condo. Both are really nice and in your price range. We dont have two many good townhomes developments in the Fort Worth area in that price range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth