U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2008, 09:51 AM

5 posts, read 11,813 times

Advertisements

Leaving California this Saturday and driving our Family of 5 to Fort Worth to live. Nathaniel 8, Maisy 6, Nash 3 and me John (older then dirt) and my lovely wife Suzie.

Never thought this would be such a big ordeal, trying to figure out all the logistics of such a big move. Ended up buying a car trailer in California and plan on selling in Fort Worth after getting a bid for 650.00 rental from U-haul I decided could do it cheaper. It would be nice to have unlimited money but we are tapped after down payment on house in Fort Worth trailer purchase and supporting bills on 2 homes for 3 months I'm hoping we don't get stuck out in the desert out of cash . Driving a pickup and have an exhibition which is pulling the loaded trailer.

We are in Northern California, up by the wine country, we have debated on best way to go and I suppose recommendations from more knowledgeable people may alter our present plans. Heading down 5 to 10 then first night in Palm Springs, second night in El Paso, arriving at home in Fort Worth 3rd day of travel. We thought of going 40 but don't like idea of crossing high altitudes and towing a trailer alongside grand canyon.

The kids are excited, wife and I are scared to death, as we cast our fate to the wind

Anyway comments on travel plans would be appreciated ....

thanks John and Suzie
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2008, 03:00 PM

32,505 posts, read 50,982,290 times
Buy some walkie talkies to use to talk back and forth between the cars...

If you don't have one, but a cheap dvd player that runs on car charger for the kids--worth its weight in gold cause where you are going is not too scenic once you hit el paso

stop there--do the sky ride up to top of the mountain at dusk
beautiful scene

stop at balmorea state park and swim in the hugh pool if you can

wish you could take more time

Old 09-19-2008, 03:32 PM

1,379 posts, read 6,044,881 times
We moved from Sacramento to Fort Worth via 40 almost two years ago. We did it with a 26' Penske truck, trailer and me driving behind my hubby and 2yr old.

You do hit some altitude, but it is manageable (we did it at night) and it still is an hour south of the Grand Canyon, so you aren't transversing the canyon at all .

Definately have dvds for the kids.

Old 09-19-2008, 05:04 PM

140 posts, read 367,206 times
Have a great trip. I used to live in Az when i was a kid. It is a long drive but fun.

Old 09-20-2008, 10:26 AM

5,296 posts, read 12,215,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harte View Post

We are in Northern California, up by the wine country, we have debated on best way to go and I suppose recommendations from more knowledgeable people may alter our present plans. Heading down 5 to 10 then first night in Palm Springs, second night in El Paso, arriving at home in Fort Worth 3rd day of travel. We thought of going 40 but don't like idea of crossing high altitudes and towing a trailer alongside grand canyon.
I'm from the Los Angeles area and although I haven't taken a road trip back and forth since 1984, we always took I-10.

Old 09-20-2008, 10:27 AM

44,257 posts, read 56,779,973 times
Have a great trip. The weather is fantastic in DFW...just to welcome you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth