U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 02:33 PM

29 posts, read 65,025 times

Advertisements

I'm in the market to buy a new home. I'd like to purchase a home from a builder from scratch. Has anybody else done this recently and if you did, did you negotiate with the builder?

What were you able to get thrown in for free or was you able to negotiate final price with them and where did you build at? Who built your home and do you recommend them?

We are in Keller and would like to stay here. Just looking to get the most for my money.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2008, 04:53 PM

140 posts, read 367,126 times
You have to know how to ask for it, The good thing you have going is. It is the end of the year for most builders. Some builder will give alot some wont. I work with alot of builder, and have had pretty good luck.

The way to get the most money is by buying a spec home though. One that is already complete.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:03 PM

29 posts, read 81,484 times
What price range/area are you looking at?

Old 09-20-2008, 12:23 AM

Around $250,000 is what i'm looking for.

Old 09-20-2008, 08:12 AM

140 posts, read 367,126 times
You will have penty to choose from. What type of home are you looking for. Do you want detail or are you looking for a alot of space. Are you just wanting Keller ISd or Keller city limits

Old 09-20-2008, 04:08 PM

We were looking at the Meritage homes in Marshall Ridge. We liked the model we saw there and it was $236,000 but with the additions we'd like to include it wouldn’t leave us much left over to do many of the upgrades.....so I was wondering if anybody has negotiated with them or if there was another area similar to Marshall Ridge around here that may be up for negotiating.

Would it be totally off the wall to ask for them to pay full closing costs and 15,000 or so in upgrades?

We'll most likely use a buyer’s agent to do the negotiations but was see if anybody else had any luck out there with new home construction negotiations.

Thanks!

Old 09-20-2008, 05:20 PM

119 posts, read 473,426 times
well, it never hurts to ask. but the market is not bad here at all. i wish you the best.

Old 09-20-2008, 11:28 PM

Are you saying you don't think the builder will budge? I'm trying to gauge what would an appropriate amount to ask for, heck I don't know if they'll negotiate at all.

Not saying the market is bad...but there are plenty of homes to choose from...and they have to realize that.

Thanks for the well wish though

Old 09-21-2008, 03:35 AM

4,185 posts, read 14,034,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buyerdawn View Post
Are you saying you don't think the builder will budge? I'm trying to gauge what would an appropriate amount to ask for, heck I don't know if they'll negotiate at all. Also, if they have premium amounts on some lots, you can get them to waive the premium fee in case the lot is bigger, or a corner lot, or is heavily treed etc...

Not saying the market is bad...but there are plenty of homes to choose from...and they have to realize that.

Thanks for the well wish though
Marshall Ridge is not anywhere to be a close out community which is when you can negotiate on a home to build from scratch. You will very likely be able to get about 5-8K in upgrades from the builder but they will keep the base price the same. Since the home is not built, it's not costing them anything right now.

What are they offering you if you use their mortgage company? I hope that it's not just the title policy... ask them to pay for your closing costs and prepaids.

If you really want a deal, I recommend that you look at inventory homes. You would be able to negotiate much more. However, I think they only have the Estates series in inventory right now which are much higher priced.

This would be the same scenario with any builder unless they are in a "close out" phase and have only a handfull of lots lefts.

Naima

Old 09-21-2008, 09:27 AM

Thanks Naima, this is the kind of feedback I was looking for.

I knew I couldn't get any off the base price and wasn't going to ask for any off because I don't want to lower the property values of my home or any surrounding homes. I was going to ask for an upgrade allowence to use in the home since alot of the times that's where they would be most likely be able to negotiate with me. I just didn't know what the appropriate amount that I may be able to ask for.

They never mentioned using their title agency...he did say $4,000 towards closing costs but not once said I had to use their agency...but i'd assume that's probably part of the deal.

Yeah, unfortuatly it's pretty new and still in phase 1 so they have no inventory homes. I still have to finish my house and put it on the market and sell it before I go in to talk to them any further so who knows what stage they'll be at when I'm able to sell mine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth