Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2008, 08:49 PM

1 posts, read 8,519 times

Advertisements

Hi there, my name is Curt. About a year and a half ago my company transferred me to the DFW metroplex from Santa Fe, NM. At that point, I had just turned 27 and I had always wanted to buy a house. So, thinking it would be a smart financial investment, purchase a house I did. I moved to Mansfield, Texas! (great schools (though I have no kids), great neighborhood, hopefully great resale value, etc.) However, I did not realize what I would be giving up by moving to the suburbs and owning a house as a 27 year old, non-married, young professional. Basically, what a gave up was a social life! And in turn I picked up a second full time job in dealing with my home and the jungle some people might call my yard.

I have been dating a great girl until recently and she was extremely helpful in taking my mind off of the boredom of suburbia. (She lived in Uptown Dallas, so with her I was able to experience the best of both worlds.) However, I am once again single and my most recent promotion has landed me working in downtown Fort Worth. Despite being potentially the worst time in US history to try to sell my house, I am ready to get back to city life.

So, long story short, I am trying to figure out what areas and more specifically, what particular condos / apartments / flats would be a great place to rent. I would like to be within walking distance to bars, restaurants, stores, etc. I would also like to be in an area where I will have an opportunity to meet similar, educated, fun young professionals. There is a possibility that I might look to buy something, however, in an area similar to what I just mentioned I have a feeling prices might be quite high. So, chances are I will likely rent for the time being.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you! And if any of you happen to be OU fans, BOOMER SOONER!! Hey, I am an OU alum and we are playing TCU this weekend...

Curt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 05:58 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,585,380 times
condo market in downtown FTW is showing softness since it has gotten built out and market is slowing--they are not new any more--you might be able to get a good deal on a lease there...

If you could stand being around college students you could look around TCU-- that is certainly area with singles...

Old 09-24-2008, 06:26 AM

11,821 posts, read 26,709,231 times
Downtown Fort Worth and Arlington Heights are both great areas for singles. I personally would avoid TCU area since it will be more expensive, have more traffic, and you'll have to out up with college kids' noise!

Yeah, whoever told you to move to Mansfield at age 27 should be shot. That is VERY much a family-oriented 'burb, and a young, single person would be SO out-of-place there!! The problem is going to be that there are TONS of houses for sale in Mansfield, and many foreclosures, so you're probably going to have a difficult time unloading yours, even if you just want to rent it out.

Old 09-24-2008, 11:31 AM

140 posts, read 403,087 times
It is not a bad time to sell a home in the Dallas-Fort Worth area. If you price it right it will sell.

That being said i would search Fort Worth Condos on Google. There are several website at the top that have all the listings for condos in the area. Depending on price, you might look at Westveiw Condos, or the T&P lofts. Both are priced really good.

Old 09-24-2008, 07:45 PM

6 posts, read 30,647 times
OK well I'm a TCU grad...............so Give 'em Hell TCU!!!! I am very familiar with the area, considering that was my stomping ground! There are a lot of new things going on downtown. I have some friends in the loft area a love it! Moderator cut: advertising/soliciting

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 09-24-2008 at 11:23 PM.. Reason: Advertising/soliciting not permitted per ToS

Old 01-16-2010, 12:08 AM

1 posts, read 7,457 times
So far you've gotten some great advice. Our 30 yr old son recently moved to The Lofts in downtown Ft. Worth and loves it. He can walk to the bars, restaurants, and coffee houses. Friends use his place as a meeting place since he's already downtown where the action is.

Old 01-16-2010, 09:10 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,585,380 times
the downtown area of FTW and the area being called SO of 7th--by the Montgomery Ward conversion seem really popular gathering spots

selling a house in Mansfield so soon after purchase probably means you will likely lose money--yu might consider renting although that can be a chancy proposition

we know people who moved from Shreveport (mature couple--no children at home but two large dogs) they tried to buy in Hulen area of FTW and in Colleyville and North Richland Hills before the market turned south and were outbid several times so they moved to Mansfield where market was softer
They ignore the amenities of the area and bought house they like in Mansfield golf community--but now after more than a year they are regretting that choice because they like to go out, have nice dinner, go to bars/clubs and there is nothing like that available to them...
and now she has had to take work out of town back in Shreveport--he drives into downtown ftw daily--so they probably regret it even more...

buying a home is not like investing in stock market where you can sell your shares fairly readily if you think you are not getting result you envisoned--MOST single people are really better off not buying a home...sorry that your decision has come back to bite you (somewhat)...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth