U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 10:36 AM

16 posts, read 57,715 times

Advertisements

Hi, my name is Julia and I plan on moving to Texas next summer. I currently live in North Louisiana. Moving with me would be my four year old son and my boyfriend. I have been struggling to decide between living in Dallas or Fort Worth but I feel like Fort Worth would be a better choice with it being a bit smaller, plus Dallas would be close enough for me to visit when needed. However, here is my dilemma. The reason I chose Texas is because I grew up in Fort Worth for the first nine years of my life. I've been back to visit my dad over the years and I really love the area, although I haven't stayed there enough to truly know my way around. We don't have the BEST relationship and I prefer to not live too close to him because he tends to attempt to have a say in everything that I do--which is one of the reasons I am moving farther away from my family in North Louisiana!! He lives in Aledo, which I know is a very awesome community. However, I don't want to live that close to him as I don't want him in my business all of the time! Can you suggest to me any other areas in Fort Worth that I should check into? Nothing outrageously expensive cos I'm not sure how great of a job I will be able to immediately find and I receive very little support from my son's father. But I'd like to find a nice area for a working class family that is located in a good school district. Hope this isn't too much to ask!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2008, 12:12 PM

3,029 posts, read 11,018,432 times
look in the mid cities area, Hurst or Bedford. Good central location for job hunting, good schools, mix residental as in some big new homes, some smaller older homes and apts. Good community facitilies, sports complexes, parks libraries etc... pretty low crime rate, community involved police force etc...

And it will take about 45 minutes or more to get to Aledo (more if traffic is conjested)

Old 10-01-2008, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5stones View Post
look in the mid cities area, Hurst or Bedford. Good central location for job hunting, good schools, mix residental as in some big new homes, some smaller older homes and apts. Good community facitilies, sports complexes, parks libraries etc... pretty low crime rate, community involved police force etc...

And it will take about 45 minutes or more to get to Aledo (more if traffic is conjested)
Thanks! I will add those to my list. My brother also suggested Azle and Keller, but he doesn't know much about any areas cos he has pretty much stuck to Aledo and only ventured into Ft Worth for entertainment. He lived in Arlington and didn't like it much and is staying in Denton now but doesn't really like it there either.

Old 10-01-2008, 12:29 PM

140 posts, read 367,249 times
I would look at Sendera Ranch in Haslet Texas. It is easy access to Dallas down 114 and easy access to Fort Worth. Far enough away from Aledo. It is in the Northwest ISD which is very good

Old 10-01-2008, 02:57 PM

3,029 posts, read 11,018,432 times
Azle is pretty close to Aledo. Also I don't know about the job base in that area as well as schools.

Sendera ranch is very nice but it too is kinda out of the way esp if you get a job east of Ft worth. And again it's fairly close to Aledo. (not much traffic out there)

Keller is growing, and there ae some older neighborhoods that have excellent schools, but the price in most of Keller will be higher than other areas.
Less expensive would be to look in NW Ft worth but Keller schools. But again that puts you on the west side of Ft Worth.

with out having a job yet but looking for one was why I suggested the mid cities, it's very centrally located so you won't get stuck with too horrible commute. Aslo is close enough to Aledo for a sunday visit but far enough way that you won't have the surprise pop in for lunch!

Old 10-01-2008, 04:14 PM

Thank you so much for your suggestions. I have a bit of time to research it but I wanted to go ahead and decide on a good area so I could look into houses and start looking at companies as well. Unfortunately, the company I work for doesn't have any plants in the area so I can't transfer. Bummer. I have a Marketing degree but apparently so does everyone else in the DFW area because I rarely got any callbacks from any of the jobs I applied for in previous times. Oh well, gotta take it one step at a time I guess!

Old 10-01-2008, 05:21 PM

3 posts, read 13,053 times
Look into Mansfield. It's a great community for young families: good schools, ballfields, water park... It's also close to the shopping and entertainment in Arlington. The people I know that live there really like it. Good luck!

Old 10-02-2008, 12:43 AM

32,505 posts, read 50,986,809 times
people don't want to talk jobs with someone who lives out of state and has no serious plans about when they are moving...
economy is going to be getting tight--better make sure you can live on less --this is more expensive area than N LA--need to get some savings to be ready
what about your boyfriend--what type of work for him

Old 10-02-2008, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
people don't want to talk jobs with someone who lives out of state and has no serious plans about when they are moving...
economy is going to be getting tight--better make sure you can live on less --this is more expensive area than N LA--need to get some savings to be ready
Well I moved to Texas after I graduated from college in 2006 and even while I was living there, I was unable to find a career. I had a job working part time at Pac Sun only because it's ALL I could get at the time. And I'm aware that it's more expensive than where I live right now, but it's actually about the same price as Shreveport, where I spent some time as well. Well, at least the places in Texas I have researched so far are about the same price--I know that there are def. some places more expensive than others. As far as savings, I'm already doing that plus I am going to use my income tax money for that purpose as well. As far as my boyfriend goes, he will be looking for a labor job--such as construction or oil field type work.

Old 10-02-2008, 07:37 PM

1,383 posts, read 3,165,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Oh don't listen to loves2read. She is very good at making things seem worse than they are and she's always negative. . For her, the glass is half empty instead of half full.

The Dallas/Fort Worth areas is one of the best places to be right now as we have not been hit very hard economically compared to some areas. I have friends up in the North East and in California who talk about how bad the economy is there, but here it is much better. And believe me, the cost of living is much cheaper here than in most places. You can get a lot more for your money here. I really don't think you will have that hard of a time finding a job. There is a ton of companies here and the whole area here is growing fast. If your boyfriend is in construction and oil field, then he will have no problem either. There is construction going on everywhere here and there is many oil companies drilling in the area since we have the Barnett Shale.

I hope this helps! And if you need anymore info, just ask me and I will be more than willing to help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth