U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2008, 02:30 PM

32,615 posts, read 51,211,433 times

Advertisements

I am moving next month and need to have a serious garage sale...the problem is that I don't go to garage sales...
have no idea how to price clothing or household items I don't want to take...

everything is in good condition but just not new--no missing buttons or tears or sheets with torn hems or anything...

does anyone have any experience either having or shopping garage sales to give me an idea...I don't want to overprice but I don't want to give the items away either...I know that some people shop garage sales and turn around and sell what they buy vs using it themselves...

also any suggestions about how to mark items--I know that some people like to switch tags and stuff...

thanks for the help...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2008, 03:33 PM

357 posts, read 990,609 times
Hi Loves2Read,

I am so with you....regarding not doing garage sales. Have you tried craigslist? There's also a neat yahoo group that you can use to sell your items. It's DFWOnlinegaragesale.com I see many people get rid of things on there as well.

I hope that helps.

Are you staying in the area? I enjoy reading your posts.

Old 10-08-2008, 04:01 PM

thanks Mom24kids
will check out those sites
I really wish I had a teenage daughter at home again--
she would do it for a split of the money

we are moving from Bedford to Hurst--not a long distance but we have lived here for over 20 yrs
don't know if I will ever get used to living someplace else
but the floor plan for this house is just not working for us now...
to redo it would just be too much money for the comps...
guess we are doing our thing for the economy...

Old 10-08-2008, 04:34 PM

3,087 posts, read 6,982,012 times
I think it depends on your mindset regarding what your selling. If you want to simply get rid of it, then you price it to be considered a 'steal'. If you value it and want to make a little money off it, then you price it with the understanding that either you may not sell it at all and have to take it with you, or you sell it for far less than you originally priced it.

Having said that...here's my suggestions, based on my experience having garage sales.
First-make sure that all items are in working order, in addition to in good condition. (provide electricity/batteries so that the shoppers can check this)

Then for those items that could be considered 'big ticket' items, either price them at no more than about 1/4 the original cost, or do some research and see what similar items are being sold for on ebay, craigslist or other auction site.
So, if you are selling a window unit air conditioner and paid $100 for it, price it at $25.
Furniture, unless an exceptional quality is present, probably won't sell for 1/4 the original cost, but instead less than that. You can always price at a higher dollar amount and bargain down.

For items like sheets and towels, sell them as a set and price them at a set price per piece. Depending on size and condition this could be from .50/piece to $2/piece. So a set of king sheets (4 pieces) could be priced from $2 to $8. most people won't pay much more than that as it's items that have been personally used in ways differently than clothes.

Clothes, it's best to put a sign out for them stating group prices instead of trying to tag each one- everything except coats and perhaps specialty higher quality items for .25-$1 per piece. Other items need to be displayed in a completely separate area than the general clothes.

As far as items having stickers swapped, it's never happened to me. However, I would only worry about that with items that are $5 and higher, and those I always kept a list of, and on occasion I'd actually write what the item was on the price sticker. For instance, I sold a really old stove, so the price sticker said stove-$25. Can't swap that one successfully. haha

If you can do as many tables as possible, price point each one. For instance, have a $5, $3, $1, .50 table and when you start setting things up you might see where a price seems out of line in comparison to everything else priced. You might have a knick knack priced at $3 to start with, then seeing all the items that are priced at $5 you decide it fits better with those, or with the $1. I always priced coffee mugs (that just seem to accumulate) at .50 each and had lots of people tell me that was too much, yet I sold every single one every time to other people for that price.

Other things are better sold in lots. If you have scrapbooking things, for example, put lots of things in a box/bag and price it as one item.

Collectors items are tricky. If you don't consider their actual worth you can part with them more easily, however these are the things that the 'hunters' are looking for and if it's priced too high, they will just keep right on walking. These are your early morning shoppers who seem to be dawdling around, when they are really looking for a steal. I sold a couple of record albums to someone who thought they got a great steal, however I didn't buy them to begin with, didn't care for them personally and really had no place to store them, so I didn't care either way!

All that is what comes to mind at the moment....haha

Old 10-08-2008, 04:38 PM

thanks
that was kind of where I was going with prices...
I just have so much stuff--easier to accumulate than dispose of...although I have given lots of clothes to Good Will over the past couple of years..

Old 10-08-2008, 09:54 PM

3,087 posts, read 6,982,012 times
It's definitely easier to accumulate! haha

We moved in 2006 and I had been living in that house since 1979. It was amazing what all we had crammed into a tiny house where 6 of us at the time had been living. I gave away some, trashed some then had a garage sale both before we moved and after we moved. We still have too much stuff!

Old 10-08-2008, 11:06 PM

I was thinking to have one Halloween Friday-Saturday--right after we close since Sunday is the 1st--do you think it would be better to wait until the next weekend--which would be the first Friday--
and then have one later--maybe first weekend in December...if I still have stuff to pull out
we have a storage rental with furniture we have been stashing thinking we would get a lake house at some time in the future but it never worked out...don't know exactly what is in there--but don't think I can do the house and that in two weeks...
I can't do this all day--it just makes me depressed somehow...

Old 10-14-2008, 11:14 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,924,318 times
Go to local thrift shops to get an idea of prices for items, then mark yours slightly less.

Old 10-15-2008, 12:12 AM

5,412 posts, read 14,864,574 times
I've never participated in a garage sale but I second craigslist that someone else mentioned. That's a great free way to move products, unlike w/ Feebay's hefty charges.

Old 10-15-2008, 10:07 AM

but I am going to Vegas in Nov--I want to make money--not give stuff away...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth