U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2008, 09:24 PM

15 posts, read 69,537 times

Advertisements

Hello Fort Worth. I've just accepted a job offer and will soon be moving to Texas from Wisconsin. When I came down for my interview I was only there for 24 hours so I didn't see much. At the airport I picked up a couple apartment magazines and with that and the internet I have started an apartment search. I'd rather rent for a couple years before buying. There are a lot of nice apartments that I'm finding but I was a little dismayed at the ratings and reviews people have posted. Even of the nicer more expensive places like the Berkleley and Trinity Bluff. Things like car break-ins, terrible parking, fighting, cheap construction, lack of maintenance, loud rowdy tenants giving security codes to non tenants and even gun shots. There must be nice clean, quiet, safe places out there. Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong place.
Can anyone suggest a nice neighborhood to look in. Downtown would be nice or maybe the area around the art museum or the botanic gardens. An area where one could walk to places like restaurants and shops and not rely on a car for everything. I am a 50 year old artist and an old coverted loft space would be great. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 10:25 PM

140 posts, read 367,126 times
What about renting a condos. There are a few of them for rent. What is your price range? There are also allot of homes for rent.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:07 PM

32,494 posts, read 50,965,633 times
are you working in downtown FTW--are you a single or have significant other that also will be job shopping?

I would not put too much faith in what you read about apts on-line--
I would look for a online site with map of FTW that has crime info tied to police statistics--they are out there...
from what I have seen going into downtown FTW at night I think it is really a safe location for much of downtown/Sundance Sq area--there are private security police on bikes and city police...most people feel very safe going to eat or to Bass performance and walking streets to parking...we park on the street all the time over the years when we go to Bass/Sundance and while we don't leave anything valuable visible in the car--we have never had any vandalism...
main inconvenience seems to be lack of grocery and dry cleaners in downtown for condo dwellers

Trinity Bluff because it is isolated from much of the other condos being built and because it is in area that was not considered very viable before the redevelopment could be more of an iffy situation than something in Sundance Sq area..there are fewer restaurants close to it and the jail is not that far away and that is a 24/7 facility....it is close to the I35 freeway going north and train tracks and the north part of FTW is mainly lower priced homes and commercial before Stockyards area...
but Google maps has some pretty good reviews of the apts...

The Firestone apts are on edge of downtown--have you checked them out? They are Lincoln Property management...they have several apts in Fort Worth
http://www.lincolnapts.com/communiti...rchResults.cfm

or the ones in the Historical Electric Bldg--managed by Alexander co...
The Historic Electric Building Apartments (http://www.hebuilding.com/modules/web/index.php/id/1 - broken link)

the condo market is soft since it is overbuilt at the time and cash is not as plentiful as it was --possible that you could find one to rent in downtown that is not selling...
Neil T bldg was running behind on leasing a month or so ago...

the area by the Zoo and Museums is attractive but that is also a very busy area of town--close to TCU and has commercial bldgs as well as restaurants/retail...
Hulen/Bryant Irwin area also has apartments but that is further frm downtown and while there is bus service don't know how convenient it is...
downtown is expensive--further out you go rents probably drop---don't know if they will deal on a lease in downtown area...

or on craig's list for FTW there is this house for rent in TCU area
PRIME ~TCU~ LOCATION ~~ RECEIVE FREE LAWN CARE FOR A YEAR (http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/apa/871306200.html - broken link)

or this apt north of the Firestone
Downtown Fort Worth Nov. 1st Only $650 per mth (http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/apa/845028463.html - broken link)

this is expensive but looks fairly unique
Top Floor, Loft-Style, Open Floor Plan, 1/2 of Historic Duplex (http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/apa/870455197.html - broken link)
out of downtown a short distance but nice area

or this that is probably the bottom floor
Historic Duplex Near Downtown-Ground Floor Apt w Open Floor Plan (http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/apa/870449742.html - broken link)

Old 10-10-2008, 04:25 PM

15 posts, read 69,537 times
OK, here's a little more info. I will be moving to Fort Worth myself. My wife and daughter will be staying in our house in Wisconsin which I will continue paying the mortgage on. The salary and schedule of my new job should allow me to go home once or twice a month. So, I would like to keep my rent under $1000 but I would go a little over for a fabulous place. My job is not downtown, I just thought it would be exciting to live there. I'll be working on the west side of town.
Loves2read, those links you put in your message look very intriguing. Yes a house, duplex or condo for rent in a nice neighborhood would be fine.
Thanks very much!.

Old 10-11-2008, 11:45 PM

at least if you drive E2W in the morning and W2E in afternoon the sun won't be a problem--it is a killer doing the other way...

Old 02-13-2009, 03:46 PM

2 posts, read 3,595 times
We too are looking at moving from Wisconsin to Fort Worth. We have two small children, oldest in preschool, and were wondering which schools and areas are better. We are looking for newer subdivisions (we'd like to build) and the more ammenities in the subdivision the better, but we want to make sure we are in a decent school district. Any info would be much appreciated. Thank you soooo much!!

Old 02-14-2009, 07:23 PM

mommy
start your own thread
but first you need to set some parameters
like where is the job--cause drive time can be the pits in the FTW area
what is the price range because there is also lot of variety in that for same sq ft in Metroplex
do an MLS search for homes in your price range/sq ft and see what the area has to offer
the ones that catch your eye--do a search for those neighborhoods/towns on the forum and see posts that come up
most any area has several posts and some have LOTS
you can get a lot of info from just reading about other people's trading of info...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
View detailed profiles of: