U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2008, 01:50 PM

93 posts, read 436,454 times

Advertisements

Howdy,

What are the pros and cons of living in a gated community (single family homes or townhomes)? Insurance? HOA? Resale? Security/privacy?

Can someone recommend a good gated community in NE Fort Worth, or the HEB area?

Thanks very much. Have a good one!

CR
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2008, 06:15 PM

140 posts, read 367,555 times
Pm sent

I live in Santa Fee Enclave right off 35w, it is a great place to live. Even in a down market my home is still going up. i bought it for 185k 2 years ago this week and now the base price is around 213k or so.

Old 10-12-2008, 06:48 PM

32,541 posts, read 51,077,194 times
one negative with a gated community is that the roads are property of the HOA--that means when it is time to resurface, the city does not pay--the homeowners pay...special assessment and usually more than that HOA has in its account

there are rules in place in some cities that any new subdivision with gated entry must have homes with not just fire alarms but sprinklers--much more expensive to build...
Rolling Wood (I think that is the name) which technically is in Keller is off Precinct Line south of where it merges with Davis...it is gated and I believe those houses had to have sprinkler systems for fire safety...

Old 10-12-2008, 06:56 PM

The one i am talking about is off 183, they run around the high 240k range and higher. Also we dont have to have them where i live. She is not wrong about the road thing. The How will be higher to cover the repairs to the roads. In this neighborhood they run 750 a year

Old 10-12-2008, 09:05 PM

10,537 posts, read 22,423,690 times
Bedford has several gated communities off Cheek-Sparger and 121.

IMHO, there is NO REASON to live in one. Crime in NE Tarrant is not bad at all, and there is no reason to lock yourself in behind a gate. These communities also usually have HIGH HOA dues, like over $1000 annually. It does decrease your resale value because the drive-by looker market is basically eliminated, and there are many people who are not interested in living behind a locked gate.

Old 10-12-2008, 10:43 PM

Really is that a fact. Seems like houses here are selling fast. As soon as the build one it is gone.

Old 10-13-2008, 07:09 AM

32,541 posts, read 51,077,194 times
about the gated communities off Cheek Sparger -- the one by WalMart is in Bedford, the one E of 157/121 Bear Creek is in Euless, the ones North of Cheek Sparger are in Colleyville...

franly I think people are looking at location, price, quality--
the gated community on Pool and Glade has super high monthly HOA fee because it has manned gate house security...but those are expensive homes...

there are only a few gated new developments in Colleyville and they are using security code gates

think Highland Park off Pool will be gated...and RockRimmon (I think that is the name)...which is off Glade I think...
Keller has Twin Lakes which is about 12 yrs old that is gated -- don't think any new developments there are...
Southlake has one that I know of but most are open...

if you are seeing town home developments that are gated, then I think that is deliberate attempt to try market it as more upscale than it is...to give it some exclusivity...but it is only a security code gate--apartments have those--so there is not that much exclusivity there--frankly I would make me wonder who was living there and question the location more than if it were not gated...

and I wonder what development you are referring to when you say as soon as it is built it is gone...check the resale market--sales are stalling there and I don't think new sales are as busy as you say...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth