U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2008, 10:32 PM

13 posts, read 96,096 times

Advertisements

To those who attended the Fort Worth Annexation meeting tonight at Trinity Middle School, let's get organized! I want to build a web page for us to unite and share information with each other. Drop me a line at natefromri at yahoo dot com if you are interested in joining our group!

To those that are not in the know, Fort Worth is planning to likely annex a few areas in the north-east portion of the city adjacent to Keller, including the area of Wilshire Valley - Meritage Homes where I live. When they do, our taxes will go up on average between $1300-$1800 and maybe more, depending on the value of your home. We're not getting any additional services that are worth the money we will be spending. We already have police service and fire service. Our private trash service is excellent...you can leave anything out and it will be picked up. The roads belonging to Fort Worth just outside our neighborhood are awfully maintained...while the roads in unincorporated Tarrant County where we live are in much better shape.

If you are interested in joining forces to oppose this annexation, drop me a line and I'll provide further information about the web site I mentioned above once it's online.

Thanks...NatefromRI
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2008, 04:47 PM

32,505 posts, read 50,982,290 times
at least if you are taken in you can vote and hassle city hall as a resident

there are enough people living there for the land grap to be profitable...

Old 11-06-2008, 01:23 AM

29 posts, read 72,477 times
I am in two schools of thought about large cities annexing smaller neighborhoods. If the smaller neighborhood refuses to become a small city itself, then I agree with annexation. A city cannot annex a city in Texas without a vote. In my opinion those living outside the city use the city assets as well. Either they work in the city, shop in the city, or party in the city. I have yet to see anyone in the county not use the city's radio or television stations. Maybe not directly, but indirectly they are members of the larger city.

Old 11-25-2008, 05:08 PM

4,623 posts, read 7,752,682 times
Fort Worth has big things in mind. The fact is tarrant county is Fort Worth. That includes Arlington, southlake, keller, etc. It really is not a big deal and I applaud Fort Worth because the city to the east Dallas decided to let its suburbs close them in preventing the city from expanding but Fort Worth is smart not to let that happen.

Old 11-29-2008, 08:09 PM

356 posts, read 431,999 times
Default Welcome

We welcome you to Fort Worth, Your tax bill is in the mail, we need the tax base to keep my taxes down. If your taxes go up as much as you say you must have a realllllly big house and therefore can afford it, or you are in over your head. I have a house worth 125 or so and my tax bill including school district is 2500 a year. City taxes as I recall was not that much of the whole.
No sympathy here.

Old 12-22-2008, 03:04 PM

295 posts, read 876,160 times
The only beef I have with being annexed is that Fort Worth does not provide services in alignment with what they charge you on property tax. This includes their crappy, substandard highways (read 820 and 35W), four-way stops galore, patched and re-re-patched streets, 2 lanes where there should be four, etc. I will cough up the dough, but I demand services that match my contribution!

Old 01-05-2009, 07:53 AM

Default Highways you mentioned

Those highways you mentioned are the responsibility of the state. Texas politics is not as much Republican vs Democratic but country boys vs city boys. 82.5% of Texans live in urban areas with the bulk in Houston, San Antonio-Austin, El Paso and DFW. We do not get our share of road funds from the state because we are stupid voters. We have allowed the 2 most powerful offices in the state to be filled by west Texas country boys. This session looks like a city boy will be speaker, the most powerful office. Hope that helps.

As for any blocking of annexation, get mad, yell and scream, stay in a dither for months, will not matter, you WILL be annexed like it or not, organized or not. It will happen.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:27 AM

7 posts, read 30,076 times
Dont list to the horse. Do what you can. If it helps, great. If it doesn't, atleast you tried. Better than sitting on your couch and crying about it. I applaud you.

Old 01-10-2009, 09:20 AM

32,505 posts, read 50,982,290 times
does ftw have designanted vs at large city council?

that is your best bet for getting your voice/vote heard
if FTW does not then you should try to get that type of city council organization

at large positions let people w/mainstream backing get in over people with more specialized area backing--not necessarily minority constituents --but localized

Old 01-14-2009, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baubkatt View Post
Dont list to the horse. Do what you can. If it helps, great. If it doesn't, atleast you tried. Better than sitting on your couch and crying about it. I applaud you.
No other neighborhoods have had any luck with stopping annexation if the are in the ETJ. The citys hold all the cards. I watched Houston annex Clear Lake, a massive area and there was NOTHING they could do about it. Annexation is inevable if you are in the ETJ of a city.

Clear lake was a community-city in its own right. Had fire and other protections. They waited too long and then it was too late to incorportate. They had lots of money and political influence and it did no good. Small neighborhoods or subdivisions just cannot effectively fight it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth