Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2008, 06:25 AM

446 posts, read 552,662 times

Advertisements

Just curious if anyone has any perosnal information about these two developments. I know there will be quite a bit of "looking on the outside in" type opinions, but I want information from either someone who lives in these nieghbohoods or someone (realtor) who has extensive knowledge of the neighborhoods.

Looking to do a custom build in either one, and since I don't live there I am just trying to get more than a days worth of insight on these areas.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 01:23 PM

Location: DFW, specializing in NE Tarrant County, Southlake, Westlake, Keller, Grapevine, Trophy Club, Roanoke
77 posts, read 333,924 times
I'm familiar with Clariden Ranch and have viewed at least a dozen homes there. I have a whole stack of builder brochures from Clariden Ranch sitting in my office. Lot sizes range between 1/2 and 1 acre and prices range from $600K up to $3M. A 12,000 sq/ft home on Coyote Rd was just sold by an agent in my office. The newest area, the Cliffs, has quite a few new homes under construction and a variety of lots from secluded wooded cul-de-sac to prominent hilltops. Most, if not all of Clariden Ranch is in the Caroll ISD. It sits between Trophy Club to the west and Bob Jones Park to the east, with a nature preserve running along the southernmost lots.

I'll be glad to answer any specific questions you may have... or lead you to someone who can.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:39 PM

My wife has a meeting with a couple builders to look at Clariden Ranch, Stone Mill Custom Homes and Venetian Custom Homes. If you know anything about either I would appreciate the help.

Also, do you know (or know anyone who might know) anything about Putrick Custom Homes? We are looking at them in Southern Hill is Keller.

Feel free to DM me or reply here with any info you have.

Thanks!

Old 07-07-2008, 01:48 PM

Location: DFW, specializing in NE Tarrant County, Southlake, Westlake, Keller, Grapevine, Trophy Club, Roanoke
77 posts, read 333,924 times
Stone Mill and Venetian are both top notch in my opinion. I'm really don't know much about Putrick. I'll get you some more info.

Old 07-07-2008, 03:31 PM

Appreciate any help you can give me about these builders!

Old 07-13-2008, 10:24 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
look at the areas they are in--
to me Clariden is out in the middle of nowhere--there is significant noise from planes making descent into DFW out that way--the area does not have any close grocery stores and the surface roads are not up to a lot of traffic -- mainly four-way stops and open drainage--that might change but Southlake likes to keep it simple and if they do rework roads/drainage there will be tax bill to pay...
there are some big homes in Clariden ranch though--Garabedian lives there--and Southlake schools are attractive and likely to continue to be so
Keller schools are more iffy than Southlake--taxes are about the same on homes of similar value--
there will be more million dollar homes in Clariden--which could be +/- because it could make your home's appreciation go up

Southern Hills has TREES on many of the lots and so does Clariden on the more expensive lots

while Shady Grove--which I think is the road that leads into Southern Hills is not that great--it is not far to Precinct Line or Davis and the 820 Loop--shopping in that area is more convenient to me--but people will say it is not that bad to get into Southlake from Clariden Ranch--but it is further

If you are going into Dallas to work--Clariden is probably a better choice--if you are going into FTW then Southern Hills makes more sense

IF you are working in Westlake/DFW area it is about even

IF you are looking at long time home-ownership I would vote for Southern Hills because it is a smaller neighborhood and to me would offer a real neighborhood feel VS Clariden which seems too big to really create a neighborhood feel--

I thought the Wright construction company started Southern Hills but not from info on Google--Wright is good builder as well

Partick Homes builds a good product--we have looked at several of the homes he has built that are older--and they hold their value--good trim and foundation work--nice eye for design--

STONEMILL HOMES is branch of Pierce Homes--family company--they have been around for years--but there have been some cases filed where there were foundation problems--you can google and check them out..

my suggestion to get unbiased reviews of the home buiders is to use tad.org--
go to former owners link
Real Estate Search by Prior Owner Name

and put in builders names--get list of people with houses they built that are 2-5 yrs old or older and get their phone numbers --look for homes original owners--if home has changed hands then people might not have much info about building process BUT they might still know if there are problems with foundation/plumbing/other issues
most people are listed--enough to get random sample--check that their house has about same sq ft that yours would --homes that vary too much in size don't have the same construction process and aren't fair comparison----and just tell them what you are doing--builders will provide list of owners but they are not likely to give you anyone who was a problem...

if people like their builder they are more than happy to give your good report and the same with problems--you need to have list of specific questions and not just say how did you like your builder--people are too vague if giving general question

things like what kind of problems after move in--and there will be some
how does builder resolve problems
do they have system of doing change orders--and they MUST or you will pay through the nose because most people want something changed during the process

how often is the actual BUILDER on site vs the foreman
do you have the builder's direct number or have to go through the office/foreman
how important is it to YOU--the buyer--that you do have contact with the builder beause most of them DON"T have contact with the buyers once they get the deal done--the on-site foreman and the subs are who you are more likely to see--builders do most of their talking to bankers and land developers and subs -- not owners

all builders want you to use arbitration instead of suing and most give an insurance policy after taking title to the property--ask each builder if HE honors his own warranty service or if he buys a policy and you deal with that ins company after the first 6 mo or year--that is important factor to me--most builders DON"T want to mess with a house after they have sold it and done the followups from the walk-through before closing--it just costs them money every time they have to go back to do repairs--but a GOOD builder wants to buld a good product--

Ask how long his subs have been with him--there is a real incestuous relationship with most builders and their subs--they feed off each other--so a builder that changes out subs from development to development has problems either paying subs or shopping for lower prices or picking quality people or attitude

Same with construction foremen and office staff--he might have had to add people to handle his growth but getting new people every 6mo to year is not a good reference--THEY run his company day to day and if they change there is lots of confusion and mixed quality--which are bad for YOU...

it might be worth it to YOU to have a third party inspector at different stages -- ask your builders what they think about that...

some builders build THEIR houses and sell to others--they don't like people asking questions and don't like people who want things done a certain way--very proprieterial--and some builders are very service oriented in that it is YOUR house they are building and they want to please you--either one can build a good house or a bad house--
you just need to decide which attitude works best for you

some builders really want a clean job site and some could care less what mess the subs make because they have to work in it--but one set of subs can make a mess for another set that causes problems with the build--so to me--a clean job site is better than messy any day of the week...
walk around a few and see what I mean
check out what the bulding codes are for cities--they are not all the same
what builder builds MORE than code because that is quality--I know one who does but he is not building in either subdivision---
you need a pier/beam foundation--especially if you are looking at house worth 700K or so--it is more expensive but it is just sign of better quality construction for re-sale
go to gardenweb.net and check out the new home construction forum--very informative

Old 07-16-2008, 05:05 AM

Thanks for all the help everyone.

Just wanted to let everyone know we decided to go with Patrick Duffy and Patrick Custom Homes in Southern Hills. Aside from offering the most detailed finish-out of the homes we looked at (a price point thing) he also offered the most attractive structural and energy options.

We put a deposit down for a lot in Southern Hills yesterday (my wife did) and we will start the build process when I return from Iraq. I sent my wife to the builders with a long list of things to ask about and much of the info I wanted was directly from this website. She met with each of the builders and we had much correspondence via email with all the builders. I have nothing bad to say about the other builders, they offered much and were very nice, but for the lot size , location, and cost, Southern Hills was the way to go for us.

Thanks all and I hope this build goes well...I think it will.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:06 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,886,424 times
welcome to Keller.
Southern Hills is in a GREAT location, close to everything but has trees etc...

Old 07-16-2008, 04:50 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
good luck in Iraq---

I think you will be very happy with your choice from the homes I have seen that Patrick has built--you are right--I think you get a lot of house for your money--the only builder who builds a house similar is Bryan Braswell and he builds mainly in the Mansfield and west FTW area now...

tell your wife to check out the site called gardenweb.net--
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/build/
there is a terrific forum on building a home--people who have gone through the process--professionals in HVAC/plumbing/insulation/general construction/building --post and answer questions on products/construction techniques/how to address issues that come up in the construction process...

Most of the info is extremely reliable and non-biased--not everyone is from the DFW area of course but it is still a great resource
she can also check out forums on gardenweb with posts/pictures about kitchens and other parts of the house

Old 12-08-2008, 01:49 PM

1 posts, read 4,417 times
Default Clariden Ranch

I currently live in The Cliffs at Clariden Ranch. They are right about the plane noise, but I work from home and I don't really notice it. I do disagree with the grocery and road condition. I have a Tom Thumb down 114 in Trophy Club that takes a whole 5 minutes to get to. Freeway access is easy if you access the neighborhood from the back side (TW King). I'd be happy to answer any questions if you have any, unless you've already decided.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth