U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 02:41 PM

3 posts, read 21,447 times

Advertisements

Hi ladies...I am also a new teacher relocating to the DFW area from Chicago and was offered a job by the Fort Worth ISD. I noticed, love2read, that you said you'd never work there and I was wondering why. I don't take offense to your comment but want to ensure that I know exactly what I am getting into.

A bit of history on me that may help...I am a military veteran with a long standing relationship with kids in a variety of arenas (as a camp counselor for the disabled, as a treatment counselor for drug/alcohol addicted teens, as a preschool/daycare owner). I think that I can make a difference in the lives of the Fort Worth ISD student population but don't want to enter with rose colored glasses on. My expectation is that I will be working with many impoverished hispanic students with very little family support...is that about right? Is there a big drug/violence issue in the schools at the elementary grades that I should be aware of? I do not wish to work in the older grades due to those issues but figured I was fairly safe in the elementary schools.

Your thoughts are truly appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2007, 03:27 AM

62 posts, read 257,266 times
Default New Elementary Schools

We just added a school bond and they are building a bunch of new schools here in the North Fort Worth / Keller areas and they will need more teachers .

Old 03-11-2007, 03:38 AM

26 posts, read 118,390 times
I'm hearing rumors that there are 3 new schools in the works in Aledo. I'm not sure of the time frame, but it's an awesome district and the teachers and office staff all seem very happy to be there.

Good luck!

Old 03-11-2007, 10:51 AM

21 posts, read 126,939 times
Thanks for the info. I knew there are atleast two schools opening in Fort Worth. If you here of any more job openings let us know. Thanks

Old 03-13-2007, 05:59 PM
mlr

13 posts, read 46,716 times
Default Teacher Positions

I know the Northwest ISD is a good school district and is expanding and has several openings.
You can view information on schools at: http://www.greatschools.net/
I also know that there are some builders that offer special incentives to teachers moving to the area.
Please feel free to contact me if you need any info.
Good Luck!!

Old 03-16-2007, 10:22 PM

32,689 posts, read 51,372,828 times
have not been checking this board lately--sorry I missed your question mother of 5---
background: the first high school I taught at in Houston over 30 years ago was exactly like the stereotype inner city ghetto school--real eye-opener for a small town/small college girl like me--- I had some wonderful experiences/students and some awful ones--one went to Vassar on full scholarship and one wound up killed for being the Herman Park rapist--I learned to deal with almost any kind of problem that showed up but I could not fight the Houston ISD which at that point in time did not care about serving the needs of children in that school and only cared about its image --
I left when I had my first child after teaching 5 years there--and I don't think I was a better teacher at end of the 5 years--no one really taught me how to be or cared if I was--basically they just wanted someone at the front of the room taking attendance and trying to keep kids in their seats...I tried to do more but it was hard...
I think a similar situation exists in FWISD--there is much talk about accountability for the teacher in the classroom all over the state but in reality too much politics and bad decision making in administration of FWISD and the board and a lack of oversight from parents who could make a different but who really aren't invested in the district --

I am sure that there are some schools who are doing a good job trying to keep their students' heads above water and I know that there are probably good teachers/administrators in every school--that is the law of averages when it comes to educators who care--

but it is frustrating enough when you teach in a district that has a good school board and active parents and kids who want an education--there are still problems outside a teacher's control that cause all kinds of grief...
I just think smaller districts do a better job of policing their money, their teachers, and their students---Keller is going to be having some significant problems in couple of years because of its terrific growth and the types of housing that builders are bringing into their district--same with Birdville district and its growth in last two years that will continue for few more--

Carroll ISD has done so well because of the type of houseing that the city of Southlake has allowed to be developed...much like Colleyville...no apartments and no low income type housing---makes a big difference in schools...

Old 09-17-2008, 04:55 PM

69 posts, read 227,466 times
Memorial Christian Academy was looking for some teachers a few months ago. You may want to ck with them. As far as I know they still do not have any new ones.

Old 06-30-2009, 01:20 PM

3 posts, read 4,090 times
kblume has posed such a good question! as a 24 year old with a bachelor's, i am looking to teach as well and i have attended many job fairs and applied for school districts all over with no luck. i am now trying to teach at primrose. does anyone know what the salary would be for a preschool/kindergarten teacher with a degree and experience would be in the dfw area? that might be an option worth looking into.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth