U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 03:27 PM

5 posts, read 11,780 times

Advertisements

We are moving around the Glen Rose area with two very small children that will start school in the next year. We are having trouble finding more information about the area and surrounding communities. Looking at living around the following areas: Glen Rose, Granbury, Stephenville, Cleburne, Clifton and possibly Meridian. Bosque county land prices are very reasonable compared to Somervell, does anyone know about the schools? We like the country and like the rivers, would like to get some land for a good deal, but need to make sure the schools are good. Any advice, suggestions would be very welcome. Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2008, 06:58 PM

96 posts, read 397,555 times
Quote:
We are moving around the Glen Rose area with two very small children that will start school in the next year. We are having trouble finding more information about the area and surrounding communities. Looking at living around the following areas: Glen Rose, Granbury, Stephenville, Cleburne, Clifton and possibly Meridian. Bosque county land prices are very reasonable compared to Somervell, does anyone know about the schools? We like the country and like the rivers, would like to get some land for a good deal, but need to make sure the schools are good. Any advice, suggestions would be very welcome. Thanks
Us too, we like to visit that area with the hills and rivers. My young kids are really into dinosaurs, camping, enjoying fossil rim safari park and playing in the Paluxy, to name a few!

Glen Rose schools are rated academically acceptable. However, parents I know are very pleased. Comments I've heard is the kids are taught good manners and are well behaved. Well that's what I've heard so will just pass that along. I work in Cleburne but live in Metro with my young family and someday will like to move down that way too and Glen Rose is high on our list. As a bonus, Somervell taxes are about half of what homeowners in Johnson and Hood pay. In large part thanks to the nuclear power plant.

Meridian schools are rated academically recognized. Crime is practically non-existent.

Check out: Great Schools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community
or:

Welcome to the Texas Education Agency

Cleburne, I've heard from some locals of problems they've had.
I heard Granbury schools are having problems too.
Don't know anything on Stephenville or Clifton.
I heard Tolar near Granbury has good schools.

Hope that helps.

Old 11-26-2008, 10:04 PM

Oh and here is another website I found quite useful with city and neighborhood crime rates, school ratings, and more:
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed
Good luck, and Happy Thanksgiving

Last edited by Yac; 12-18-2008 at 09:31 AM..

Old 11-26-2008, 11:21 PM

4,187 posts, read 14,037,430 times
You may want to post your question in the "Texas" forum as well. You may get a better response since Fort Worth is pretty far and the frequent subscribers are too close to the Metroplex.

Naima

Old 11-27-2008, 09:28 AM

5,296 posts, read 12,215,811 times
Bosque County is one of my favorite "near-by to where I live" counties. It's still not over populated, quite pretty, and with lots of unspoiled land still to be had.

Clifton and Meridian are both very nice small towns but to find out more about the ratings of the schools, you might want to check greatschools.net I love the Cranfills Gap and Walnut Springs area in Bosque County, but Cranfills Gap is so small and the school was in danger of shutting down last year (I think I have that comment right). Walnut Springs as well is tiny, but raising kids in a small town is so great.

Glen Rose (because of the Comanche Peak Nuclear Power Plant) is a little "richer" area and therefore, I imagine the difference in the prices of land. I believe that Power Plant contributed to the fact that Glen Rose schools have nicer facilities and the like than a lot of fairly small schools. Granbury is very nice but in my opinion, Stephenville is too large and with Tarleton University there, there are way too many people to be found.

Cleburne I wouldn't pick. There is just something about that place I don't like over and beyond the fact that the population is about 30,000. It's a bit trashy, in my opinion.

Crime is everywhere but according to Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed, the towns of which you speak rate in the following order with the most overall crime starting with the highest:

Granbury
Cleburne
Meridian
Stephenville
Glen Rose
Clifton

Those stats don't necessarily agree with other crime stat pages though, so who's to know for sure. Good luck.

Last edited by Yac; 12-18-2008 at 09:00 AM..

Old 11-27-2008, 03:23 PM

1,383 posts, read 3,165,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonniesmile View Post
Out of all those cities/towns you listed, I would go with Granbury or Cleburne, as those are the only ones where you actually have a lot of stores and restaurants. And they are close to Fort Worth. The other choices are way out in the boonies and very small towns, which I never have liked.

Old 11-27-2008, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by $DFW8$ View Post
Out of all those cities/towns you listed, I would go with Granbury or Cleburne, as those are the only ones where you actually have a lot of stores and restaurants. And they are close to Fort Worth. The other choices are way out in the boonies and very small towns, which I never have liked.
The poster is concerned about country, rivers, and good schools. Nothing was mentioned about stores and restaurants. To many, they are not of importance. Granbury's population is about 8,000 as opposed to Cleburne's near 30,000 but yes, Granbury is close to Fort Worth if that matters to the OP.

Old 11-27-2008, 10:43 PM

5 posts, read 11,780 times
Thank you all for the great advice. There is something to be said for raising your children in a small town and we really like being out in the rural countryside. We've lived in the city and convenience is nice, but you cannot buy peace of mind from a store, especially when it comes to doing what is best for your kids. I really appreciate you all taking the time to respond. Hope you had a great Thanksgiving:-)

Old 11-28-2008, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonniesmile View Post
Thank you all for the great advice. There is something to be said for raising your children in a small town and we really like being out in the rural countryside. We've lived in the city and convenience is nice, but you cannot buy peace of mind from a store, especially when it comes to doing what is best for your kids. I really appreciate you all taking the time to respond. Hope you had a great Thanksgiving:-)
Amen!!

Old 12-02-2008, 05:36 PM

A comment made about Cleburne as trashy is not shared by most people I work with there. There are a couple of moms and dads I've met who haven't had good experiences with the school system though. Seems like the parents don't get much a say on their childrens education. Where is that not a problem though.
I would just add that Cedar(junipers) allergy issues becomes a bigger problem if you live near them and this is mostly a problem in the winter months. Hope that helps. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth