U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 10:06 AM

47 posts, read 158,968 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I've been reading these forums for about a month now and decided to register. My wife and I are thinking of moving somewhere outside the DFW area like Ranger, Garland etc. We would have to rent a home since we have 2 homes here we are paying on, I've found tons of rentals on craigslist the problem I am having is employment. I currently work for Caterpillar rebuilding engines, transmissions and pumps. 8 years in the Marine Corps working on Heavy Equipment. I currently make around 45k a year. I've searched job boards, but believe not all jobs are posted on those. Also my wife has a B.S. in Psychology and will be going back to school to get here Masters in teaching. She has worked as a director for a daycare, para professional, county juvinile corrections and is currently a substitute teacher. Any help would be great. I'd prefer to work outside of Fort Worth, I'm not a fan of big cities.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2008, 03:19 PM

1,383 posts, read 3,165,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caturpilar View Post
Hello all, I've been reading these forums for about a month now and decided to register. My wife and I are thinking of moving somewhere outside the DFW area like Ranger, Garland etc. We would have to rent a home since we have 2 homes here we are paying on, I've found tons of rentals on craigslist the problem I am having is employment. I currently work for Caterpillar rebuilding engines, transmissions and pumps. 8 years in the Marine Corps working on Heavy Equipment. I currently make around 45k a year. I've searched job boards, but believe not all jobs are posted on those. Also my wife has a B.S. in Psychology and will be going back to school to get here Masters in teaching. She has worked as a director for a daycare, para professional, county juvinile corrections and is currently a substitute teacher. Any help would be great. I'd prefer to work outside of Fort Worth, I'm not a fan of big cities.
Ranger is way outside of Fort Worth over in rural Erath County. You go through Ranger Hill on I-20. It is probably a little too far out than what you are wanting. Garland is a big Dallas suburb not too far from downtown Dallas with a population of about 250,000. If you are wanting something close to Fort Worth, but not too big, then really neither one of those will work. I'd suggest looking at some of the Fort Worth suburbs that are good size, but not like Garland, like Decatur, Weatherford, Aledo, Burleson, etc. Or you can also check into some of the smaller Dallas suburbs.

Old 11-27-2008, 08:28 PM

10,505 posts, read 22,346,689 times
Ranger?!? You've got to be kidding. Ranger started dying about 30 years ago when the oil field there dried out, and it is still on the way down. They have a HUGE drug/methamphetamine problem, and the crime rate is actually pretty high for such a small town. It's also quite a distance from Fort Worth, so if you were thinking of commuting into town for work, you'd spend a LOT of time on I-20...

DFW8 suggests MUCH better places to live. I agree that Garland is not a rural place at all...

Old 11-28-2008, 07:44 AM

Thanks for your replies. I really have no idea about any of the towns in that area all I know is what I read on their demographics. The town I live in now has a pop. of around 70k, too big for me. I'm a rodeo fan so that's why I chose the DFW area. The only problem is housing prices. Once I can get one of my houses sold, I plan on buying another. All the reading I have done suggests getting at leas 40 min away from FW. I grew up in Pasadena as a kid and I think we moved around but the only thing I remember about TX was chasing lizards on the front porch and scaring my mom with them. Thanks again, the TX folks posting on here are very cordial.

Old 11-29-2008, 07:02 AM

After looking over much of the mid to northern half of tx, I think my wife and I will try abilene. They have a Caterpillar dealership there where I could probably find work. All the things I've read on here about Abilene suggest it is a decent size town with friendly folks. My wife is very community oriented and that appeals to her. With our 3 kids from 7-13 she is always involved in the PTA, teaching Sunday school, youth sports, dance, school book fairs etc. I just want to live in TX! Cost of living in Abilene seem to fit our lifestyle as well.

Old 11-29-2008, 02:22 PM

356 posts, read 431,839 times
Default Cat

I have lived in Texas all my life. Raised in Tyler, lived in Houston, Arlington and Fort Worth. If I had a choice right now I would go to San Antiono. Better than Austin on house prices and not as clogged. You are an hour and 1/2 from Corpus and that means GREAT fishing and beaches you are surrounded by lakes in the hill country and the place is bigenough to pay well but small enough to not have too long of a commute in. Everything you could want is there. Educational opportunities abound.

Abilene, Witcha Falls, Lubbock always made me think of kissing your sister, just not very exciting. Fort Worth is pretty mobile, only 35W is in trouble for traffic, Houston and Dallas are about the same...clogged! 80mph to 0 for no apparent reason. Garland is just more of Dallas. If it were not for the signs you would never know the difference. BTW on the gulf coast if you leave a coke botle in the yard over night it will rust.

Old 11-29-2008, 03:35 PM

Never thought of San Antonio. How are the people there? Friendly? I want to be able to be mowing my grass and see my neighbor out and stop and chat with him, maybe share a beer. We would like to have a tight community where we end up.

Old 11-29-2008, 04:13 PM

4,184 posts, read 14,032,175 times
Finding a place to live will not be a problem. You may want to concentrate on where your job is so you don't end up spending too much time researching a particular area and then having to move somewhere else.

May be you want to check a couple of headhunters in different markets. Monster and careerbuilder are good sites for jobs...

Good luck,

Naima

Old 11-29-2008, 04:45 PM

356 posts, read 431,839 times
Quote:
Never thought of San Antonio. How are the people there? Friendly? I want to be able to be mowing my grass and see my neighbor out and stop and chat with him, maybe share a beer. We would like to have a tight community where we end up.
After you settle on a comunity, the real research begins if you have children, quality of public school districts vary widely. The people are great, very Texas friendly. Lots of openings for diesel guys too. Better thing of listening to Spanish tapes to learn the language, especially your wife.

Old 11-29-2008, 08:04 PM

1,383 posts, read 3,165,201 times
Quote:
You do know that there is places like that here in the DFW area. No need to go way off to Abilene. And as far as getting a job, you will have much better luck here because the job market is still pretty good here compared to other areas that have been hit hard by the economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth