U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 11:12 AM

32,471 posts, read 50,942,073 times

Advertisements

anyone in Hurst area have ATT U-verse for TV/Internet combo?

we are getting installation tuesday--just wanted to know if anyone knew where the "nodes" were in area....

did you have any problems with your installation

ours will be in house that we bought but don't live in right now--
no equipment there--and we are buying some new media equipment to be installled....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2008, 02:29 PM

1,383 posts, read 3,164,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post

we are getting installation tuesday--just wanted to know if anyone knew where the "nodes" were in area....

no equipment there--and we are buying some new media equipment to be installled....
I have a distant cousin that lives in Hurst and they have ATT U-verse and said it is really good. They said the Internet is fast and the TV works good. They also said the installation went fast and the customer service is good. Hope this helps!

Old 12-01-2008, 06:18 PM

11,878 posts, read 34,521,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post

We have U-Verse and it's been outstanding. No outages to speak of, great quality, and it's relatively inexpensive.

Old 12-01-2008, 08:30 PM

have you had any trouble getting different parts of your home system--like computers or tvs and the dvr in synch?

do you know where the node is that feeds your house?
have read that has lot to do with how strong your bandwidth holds up when you are using 2 HD streams...

Old 12-01-2008, 09:59 PM

3,087 posts, read 6,959,658 times
Look for boxes that looks similar to this one and you'll have at least some idea of where yours might be. It won't necessarily be the one closest to you, as the wires could be running in an opposite direction.

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t...user/vrad3.jpg

The way it is now, if you can get Uverse, you will have no problem with the DSL part. Also, the HD is already limited anyway as to how much you can view at once-something they should explain upon installation. For instance, each HD more or less counts as 2 viewing lines, so here we have access to 4 at a time, which means if we were watching two separate HD shows at the same time, no other TV viewing would work.
However, none of that affects the DSL

Old 12-02-2008, 06:27 AM

yes--I looked up what the boxes look like--I thought you might have asked where your signal originated
when the tech came to install your system

actually I have been reading info on the ATT forum for u-verse and most people there say that you should be able to access two HD streams (separate channels) and two of SD streams (separate channels)
they also mention problems getting all parts of their hook-up working in synch--like getting the XBox and sound system and the DVD player and if you have a monitor that you also use for watching tv --getting all the bits and pieces linked so that they work like they should...

if you can only watch 2 HD programs at the same time and thus use 2 tvs at same time then your set-up may not working for max bandwidth--I don't think I would pay a lot of money each month and only having access to two individual channels at a time-- why pay for HD upgrade if you basically can only watch SD channels when you have more than two people watching separate channels at a time...

some posters said that if STBs were left "on" that would mean they were taking up a channel and lowering the viewing capacity of sets in home...or if they were set to tape to the DVR they could be taking a channel up--
there are two ways to configure the system and the one called 25/2 is supposed to allow 4 channels--

also your distance from the node has effect on strength of the tv stream as well since internet and tv streams are both digital--they both come to the house on one line and are separated at the main house junction box into two individual streams--but they are still both digital vs analog as cable is now...

Old 12-02-2008, 01:29 PM

The VRAD box is about 4 houses away and the switching station is about 1/2 mile away, which we already knew, however that has no bearing on your particular house....which is what I thought you were asking about? Neither were ever referred to as a 'node', so I am not sure if you mean something different than either of those?

Our TV viewing has always been problem free, other than the limit on the lines....which I suppose can be different for each location/package and something you'd be better off asking the techs, since they are the ones familiar with the location and the cable being used.

Plus, since we don't suscribe to the actual HD package, it's bascialy a non issue for us, unless we are recording more than one program at the same time and wanting to watch something different on all three TV's that are hooked up.

We had no problem whatsoever getting everything hooked up and running regarding the TV's. One (old analog TV) has a Playstation and VHS player, another (HD) has the Playstation 2, DVR, and surround sound and the third (also analog) has just a DVD/VHS player.

The only issue we had, as I mentioned before in our previous exchange about this, was with the wireless and one of the computers....that took some time to get it up and running, while the others had no problems.

Old 12-02-2008, 09:11 PM

tech came today and because of the way the wiring was put into the house he had to use the coax cable for the STBs for tvs--I did not want to have ethernet cable running around the basetrim to where the tvs are going to be...
he said that if the upstairs closet where the "smart" box is (junction box) had an outlet to plug in the main receiver it would have been feasible to just run ethernet cable to all outlets...
maybe after we get the electrician in
we looked at some of the channels on a small (older) portable I brought and even the HD channels looked ok on a non-HD tv so I think we can live with what we have
he was able to add cable drop to patio but not my utility room where I wanted the tv so will just have to stick with my portable DVD player and Netflix when I iron...
hopefully when the people come to hookup the new tvs and the other AV equipment they won't have any problems...
painters were done today as well
going to move sooner than we thought probably...

Old 10-20-2009, 06:45 AM

1 posts, read 3,067 times
We decided agianst it since we live in a 50 plus year old home and they were going to have to run "New cable" to every TV! We just replace all the cable with our remodel 6 years ago.. I felt like they were trying to rip us off. Also, I have heard that if TV is down the Internet is down also. With cable that does not happen unless electricity is gone

Old 10-20-2009, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumplinsmama View Post
We decided agianst it since we live in a 50 plus year old home and they were going to have to run "New cable" to every TV! We just replace all the cable with our remodel 6 years ago.. I felt like they were trying to rip us off. Also, I have heard that if TV is down the Internet is down also. With cable that does not happen unless electricity is gone
This thread is a bit old....however, I have to say that when we got Uverse they did have to run some additional cable but there was no extra cost for it. In the two years that we've had it there has only been one time it was down, and that was due to a part in the outside phone box that went out. Tech says they last for about 3-4 years in general. Other than that no down time at all (unless your electricity goes out in bad weather which did happen once last year)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth