Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 05:15 AM

45 posts, read 167,416 times

Advertisements

My Wife and I are moving to one of the small towns near to Granbury, I would appreciate some information about either Tolar or Glen Rose and also while it's easy to get information about the daily temperature and humidity, it's more difficult to get information about BUGS Snakes etc.

We're both from the South East of Ireland - warm and humid - and are looking for a drier climate

Jonathan

Last edited by Jonathan.Lowe; 02-27-2007 at 05:17 AM.. Reason: Spelling errors
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2007, 08:03 AM

4,610 posts, read 11,099,798 times
I live in Granbury. It gets very humid in the summer here. There are bugs here and they all seem to bite. What made you decide on Tolar and Glen Rose? Look at the map of the United States and draw a line down the middle of it. The west of the line is Arid the east of the line is Humid.
This link will help you with the humid information.
[url]http://arapaho.nsuok.edu/~ziehr/virtual/human_wg/agric/guided.html[url]

If you have any other questions regarding Granbury, I will try and help you with them. I have only visited Glen Rose and Tolar. Hope this helps!

Last edited by Roma; 02-27-2007 at 08:44 AM.. Reason: add something

Old 02-27-2007, 08:16 AM

Hi Roma,

Thank's for your quick response. I was drawn to the area by an add for a small farm near Tolar, perhaps you know it. It was priced a little high for my budget so I had to look further.

The reason why I'm interested in that area, I suppose it's the warm to hot conditions with little rainfall. Granbury is placed very close to Fort Worth and just under 80 miles from DFW international airport. Just two flights will get me to and from DFW. What I have tried to establish is the availability of public transport to get me to the Granbury area. I plan to stay in Granbury to go to view properties around Glen Rose and Tolar.

Perhaps you would let me know if the Rail track that passes through Granbury and Tolar is still open?

Jonathan

Old 02-27-2007, 08:35 AM

Hi Jonathan, Here is a link to Granbury.
[url]http://tx-granbury.civicplus.com/[url]
I never heard of a train comining thru here from Dallas. There are no Taxis here either. I would think your best bet is to rent a car at the airport.
I live on the lake but yes there are lots of farms out here and plenty of land and space.
Good Luck!

Old 02-28-2007, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma View Post
I never heard of a train comining thru here from Dallas. There are no Taxis here either. I would think your best bet is to rent a car at the airport.
I live on the lake but yes there are lots of farms out here and plenty of land and space.
Good Luck!
Thanks Roma for your reply. Just as I thought, a rail line but no service. Some sort of silly grin is needed. Well I suppose I shall have to get a local drivers lisence as I don't think my Irish one will do for longer than a few months. That shouldn't be hard.

I wonder if we will need to use mosquito nets at night, suppose that depends on where we end up.

Jonathan

Old 02-28-2007, 09:42 AM

Jonathan,
The worst problem for us in Granbury and surrounding areas are "Fire Ants". We also have mosquitos (I don't think a net is needed but it would depend how bad they are in your area), and we have Wasps and Bees in this area to name a few.
This area is in the country and with that you get more bugs. Not only are we in the country but we have a large lake and a river and many creeks and ponds. So with all this you have more bugs/fire ants then you would in Dallas or someplace.
The ones I hate the most are the fire ants. But with everyone out here having so much land there is no controlling them. In my subdivision on the lake the lots are on a acre or more. We have 5 acres. Behind us is a Golf Course, next to that is horse property. Not all the lots are built on. So you can see how it is hard to control the bugs in the country. But you probably already know that, I am assuming you live on one in Ireland.
All the Best!

Old 02-28-2007, 05:36 PM

Roma,
Fire Ants, didn't know they were as far north as Texas. Mosquitos, I know about those as there is a warning on the weather channel that I look at every now and then to see what the temperature is in Tolar. Do the ants come into your home and get in the sugar etc?

We have Bees, they build in the roof of our house and can cause a lot of trouble. The only difficulty I may have is the heat in the middle of the summer, snakes and scorpions etc. Oh, do you have kissing bugs in your area?

Jonathan

Old 02-28-2007, 06:54 PM

Jonathan,
The fire ants don't come into your home (thank God) but are outside in your yard. Bad, bad guys they are.
When you said you would need nets at night did you mean while you sleep you would have a net over your bed? You will not need to do that here. It's not that bad. But when your outside you would want to put on some special lotion to keep them off of you when they are around in the spring and summer.
I never heard of Kissing Bugs, so I'm not sure if we have them here. But we do have Brown Recluse and Black Widow spiders, they are poisonous, so watch out for them.
This area is growing fast. We moved her 2.5 years ago from California to retire on the lake. We are planning on moving back to Ca. The weather and bugs are to much for us. (Not our cup of tea). We are water people and lived on the ocean before (the lake is not the same) and miss it so we are returning.
I think it is a good time to buy out here. Like I said it is growing fast. Prices are only going to go up. This area has been found and people are moving here from all over.
You might like it and it does have plenty of land for whatever your heart wants to do with it. It still is cheap compared to some other states. And like you said it is close to Fort Worth and the DFW Airport.
Also Jonathan, Get educated on Mineral Rights. Alot of money can be made out here on them. About a year ago everyone was starting to getting signed up with natural gas companies. Check to see if you will have some or all the mineral rights to them when you buy your property. If you do not have any then try and negotiate your price. We own 3 properties out here. 2 of the properties we own half of the mineral rights and 1 we own none of the mineral rights. The 1 that we own none we negotiated that in the price and got it for much lower. So do your homework.

Last edited by Roma; 02-28-2007 at 07:11 PM..

Old 02-28-2007, 09:23 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,331,767 times
Are kissing bugs maybe Love Bugs? I haven't seen them in Texas but we sure had them in Florida.

Old 03-01-2007, 03:26 AM

Default re Kissing Bugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTraveler View Post
Are kissing bugs maybe Love Bugs? I haven't seen them in Texas but we sure had them in Florida.
Hi Austin Traveler,

The kissing bug (Kissing bug, conenose bug, masked hunter) if you google kissing bug you will find lots of info about them, the normally are no problem if you home is in the open, however if there is a lot of undergroath around the house they may become a problem. About an inch long flat with wings.

Seen as nobody has seen them they my not be a problem around fort worth.

Jonathan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth