Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 10:15 PM

2 posts, read 13,649 times

Advertisements

I have a 4 year old son with autism. We now live in hurst and he has been in the H.E.B isd since he turned 3. H.E.B. isd has programs in SOME of their elementry schools, But most classes are overly full and are not autism specific. I, myself don't feel like it's enough. My husband met the Specail education director of H.E.B today. (He works with her mother). She expressed that she also has an autistic son and she moved to Keller. They have much smaller classes and are specific to autism. Keller is kinda bad with traffic during rush hour it wouldn't take more than 40 min to get from keller to the airport during rush hour give or take. Only 20 to 30 min without traffic .I drive through the traffic every friday and I think the traffic is worth the advantage. I will be looking for a home there after the holidays. If you need more info let me know stylebyalicia@yahoo.com.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 10:41 PM

2 posts, read 13,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnnovak View Post
I have a 5yr old autistic child as well and I know how hard it can be, the right school in the DFW area is what I am still searching for. Currently we are in the FWISD and although I have a Dr. which Dx my son with autism the school completed their evaluation 2yrs ago and decided they did not feel he was autistic although he had speech delay, developmental delay, and behavior problems. This is his 3rd year in the FWISD school at JT Stevens and now I'm not sure he is getting all the help he needs, the school still states that in their opinion he is not autistic, even with a Dr. medical dx go figure. To the mom that was getting ready to move this is a school to stay away from. After talking to some girls at work as I am a nurse they have told me to check out Lake Worth and Keller schools which would be within the distance you are looking for they are to have good programs for special needs children. If anyone knows any other schools for me to check out please let me know. Thanks rnnovak

I have come to learn that the public schools won't admit there is a problum unless you DEMAND it. If they suggest that your child has a disablity they become liable for the cost of evauating him. It takes any where for 5 to 7 people to take time out with the school has to PAY FOR. they don't want to do that. You have to make them do everything. You have to call the school and tell thwm you want an eval. After they do that you call up the ISD that you live in and tell them you request an A.R.D meeting. They have 30 days to give you a meeting by law. You can let them know that you know that...It makes them move faster. At the A.R.D meeting all the people that did the eval will be there. They will go over they're findings. BE CAREFUL. They will tell you to your face that "yes, your child has speech delay" and in the paper work it will say something diffrent. IF YOU DON'T AGREE DON'T SIGN IT. demand that they change it. you have to force thier hand. After the A.R.D and you have proof of your child's disabilities in your hand wrote by them. Then you tell them to put your child in the programs that fit you childs needs. They all have other programs that you don't know about, they don't tell you about. It's all up to you, how much you fight for it. The law is important to know. Read "Rights of parents of students with disabilities" by texas education agency. Its very helpfull.

Old 01-29-2008, 08:46 AM

1 posts, read 6,760 times
Default Nisd

I know your post was a while ago, but you said you weren't moving for a year. I have the answer for you: Northwest Independent School District. My 6 year old daughter is bipolar & PDD. The school district has been fantastic and very accommodating to her (she is high functioning as well). I've been told by our therapist that NISD is one of the best for dealing with special needs children (and they are high ranking as far the best school districts overall in Texas). This area (just on the outskirts of Fort Worth and Keller) is growing very quickly and there are lots of businesses and large companies in the area (like AT&T and Fidelity Investments), so finding a job might not be too hard. Best of luck to you!

Old 03-24-2009, 10:27 AM

14 posts, read 52,832 times
Cool Schools for children w/ special needs in/around Ft. Worth

Hi,

I just happened to stumble across this thread and have my own questions. My daughter actually has attended the Ft. Worth ISD, first in Campfire Child Development Center and then at M.G. Ellis in Northside. I was on my way to withdraw her and stopped to look up Birdville ISD's phone number because I have heard some things about their special education services and the way they have the classes set up, etc. FWISD leans toward an "inclusive" classroom setting for the children which was great when she was in Campfire. Yes, I have had to finally hire an advocate to get an actual (though, still not thorough) autism evaluation. Although, I had been requesting one since she started at 3 years old. It's incredible how you can be in the meeting and think you are requesting an evaluation and by the time they are done talking circles around you it's changed to an autism assessment. So, what they did was just take her original evaluation (when she first trasnsitioned into the school district) made new observations and attached that to the original evaluation. Yes, they say she doesn't have autism either. Well, she has something everyone agrees but nothing that required anything more than speech therapy. Though every teacher has had to implement strategies in their classroom so they can work with her. So, we were finally able to get services with OHI - ADD.
Anyway, doesn't the HEB area fall into the Birdville ISD? Is anyone familiar with the BISD? Which are the good schools for children with special needs? I hear when they identify a child with something like dyslexia, autism, lets say, they pull them from mainstream and put them in classes with other children who have similar learning styles/differences. They then teach them learning strategies, coping skills, etc. and the goal is by the time they reach 4th grade they can be returned to mainstream classrooms. Is this correct?
I saw some people mentioned Lake Worth? (surprised) and Northwest ISD. I would appreciate any input/opinions/experience.
Thanks!

(Sorry for all the icons, she wanted to help with my message)

Old 03-05-2012, 06:52 AM

1 posts, read 3,789 times
I have a 10 yr old daughter with Asperger's as well who is coming to live with me. Any recommendations on Dr's/ Psychologist? in the North Fort worth area?

Old 03-05-2012, 07:59 PM

690 posts, read 1,729,309 times
To jwcox903;

You may consider checking with your insurance company on who they will work with or recommend.
You can do a internet search: SAMHSA Publications
maybe one of these locations may work for you.

Old 04-04-2018, 08:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,066 times
I too have a son who gas attended fwisd since kindergarten. The summer before first grade he was diagnosed autistic and adhd. I took that diagnosis from the child study center to the school they did thier own evaluation and said he didnt have autism. So he only qualified as ohi for adhd and speech. I disagreed but it didnt change anything. I just continued to raise my son as i already had been. Kept helping him. He is now in 9 th grade and just had another autism evaluation through fwisd and is finally going to get his autism code. Pretty ridiculous to me he is about to be in 10 th grade
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth