U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-13-2008, 02:29 PM
 
3,087 posts, read 6,960,603 times
Reputation: 4459

Advertisements

Anyone been out there, or following it at all? It's not all that far from me.

I don't know the family, it's been interesting to talk with others who know someone who does know them....that 6 degrees of separation at work again!

I've been watching some of the stuff from a Star-Telegram reporter on site, and a couple of other sites with some updates. It's quite interesting and a pretty neat deal.

In a way I'd love to go watch for a bit, however I'm content to watch it through others. haha
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-14-2008, 10:21 AM
 
Location: Irvine, CA to Keller, TX
4,830 posts, read 6,411,241 times
Reputation: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
Anyone been out there, or following it at all? It's not all that far from me.

I don't know the family, it's been interesting to talk with others who know someone who does know them....that 6 degrees of separation at work again!

I've been watching some of the stuff from a Star-Telegram reporter on site, and a couple of other sites with some updates. It's quite interesting and a pretty neat deal.

In a way I'd love to go watch for a bit, however I'm content to watch it through others. haha
My wife works for Wall Homes but is not involved with the project. She has went over a couple of times, and she said it was fun. She took some pictures for me since I hate crowds. My son knows the older boy casually. I think it is great! The family seems to be deserving and won't lose the house by morgaging it to the hilt like some have. The house is nice but will stick out like a sore thumb where it is, especially with the style roof. If you want to go over at night after 7:00pm you can get in without having to take a shuttle.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2008, 11:54 AM
 
Location: Irvine, CA to Keller, TX
4,830 posts, read 6,411,241 times
Reputation: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
Anyone been out there, or following it at all? It's not all that far from me.

I don't know the family, it's been interesting to talk with others who know someone who does know them....that 6 degrees of separation at work again!

I've been watching some of the stuff from a Star-Telegram reporter on site, and a couple of other sites with some updates. It's quite interesting and a pretty neat deal.

In a way I'd love to go watch for a bit, however I'm content to watch it through others. haha
They were just filming Ty Pennington skate boarding down around the pond at the entry to Crawford Farms. My wife and daughters were down there screaming and making fools of themselves but having a great time.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2008, 11:01 AM
 
Location: TX
3,029 posts, read 11,015,542 times
Reputation: 1369
I took my daughter and her friend over on Sat afternoon. They got to be extras in the auction scenes and met Paul and Kristen(?) two of the designers. Paul was VERY nice and acommading and took photos with them etc... They had a Blast. They are doing the reveal at 3pm today. (burrrr)

Yes, the house is BEAUTIFUL but I agree it will stick out like crazy on that street. I sure hope they put in radient barrier and UV window etc... There are NO trees over there and the summer utility bills could be astromnomical. Old house looked to be about 2400 sqft new house is 5000 easy.

I was also wondering what work they did to ensure they won't have a future flooding problem, it would be a shame if after all that work etc...it get flooded again.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2008, 11:15 AM
 
Location: Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex
1,298 posts, read 3,998,092 times
Reputation: 358
I didn't hear about this. Anyone know when it airs?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2008, 02:07 PM
 
3,087 posts, read 6,960,603 times
Reputation: 4459
The home has a certification being an effecient and green home, according to the Star-Telegram reporter covering it. She actually has the certificate pictured on the site she's keeping up with.
Check this link to see some of what she's been posting and some neat pics. As I type this they are getting ready for the reveal she posts....haha

Twitter / andreajares

That's neat that you went out there 5stones!

Oh, it's supposed to air in Feb/Mar.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2008, 07:04 PM
 
Location: Irvine, CA to Keller, TX
4,830 posts, read 6,411,241 times
Reputation: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskies49 View Post
I didn't hear about this. Anyone know when it airs?
You can see photos etc.. @

Wall Homes Extreme Makeover: Home Edition
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2008, 08:51 PM
 
Location: Aurora, CO
7,326 posts, read 11,591,054 times
Reputation: 11666
Ok I'm gonna be a wet blanket, but...shows like Extreme Makeover: Home Edition have a huge downside. Sure you get a fancy home out of the deal but most of the folks who have their homes turned into McMansions don't have the wherewithal to pay the massively inflated property taxes or the capital gains taxes associated with the new home construction and they end up either losing the home to foreclosure or they're forced to sell it to pay the bills.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2008, 10:08 PM
 
3,087 posts, read 6,960,603 times
Reputation: 4459
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Ok I'm gonna be a wet blanket, but...shows like Extreme Makeover: Home Edition have a huge downside. Sure you get a fancy home out of the deal but most of the folks who have their homes turned into McMansions don't have the wherewithal to pay the massively inflated property taxes or the capital gains taxes associated with the new home construction and they end up either losing the home to foreclosure or they're forced to sell it to pay the bills.
I heard this discussed once on one of the news shows. It seems that the show/network actually purchases/or acquires ownership of the property for the week or so it's working on the house and then reverts it back to the original owners so that they avoid any caiptal gains...or something along that line.

This particular house, they've said, will not have any higher utilitie bills due to it being built 'green' and highly efficient, so the only real issue might be the property taxes. In many cases the mortgages are paid off for them, so they no longer have to worry about that. Have no clue whether that might happen for this family.

The two recent Makeover homes that are in danger of foreclosure are that way because the families RE-financed their mortgage and put themselves in jeopardy with inflated payments, just like most of the other foreclosures going on across the nation. So, it's not due to the show's contribution.

Just some extra food for thought....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2008, 06:31 AM
 
Location: Irvine, CA to Keller, TX
4,830 posts, read 6,411,241 times
Reputation: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
I heard this discussed once on one of the news shows. It seems that the show/network actually purchases/or acquires ownership of the property for the week or so it's working on the house and then reverts it back to the original owners so that they avoid any caiptal gains...or something along that line.

This particular house, they've said, will not have any higher utilitie bills due to it being built 'green' and highly efficient, so the only real issue might be the property taxes. In many cases the mortgages are paid off for them, so they no longer have to worry about that. Have no clue whether that might happen for this family.

The two recent Makeover homes that are in danger of foreclosure are that way because the families RE-financed their mortgage and put themselves in jeopardy with inflated payments, just like most of the other foreclosures going on across the nation. So, it's not due to the show's contribution.

Just some extra food for thought....
At the beginning of the series there were some problems but ABC worked them out. You are correct the problems of late have been with people getting loans that they could not afford to pay back.

I have also heard that the show is no longer looking for poor families to help but families that have had a rough time, families that despite their own problems have still reached out to help their communities. I do not like the show as much as in the beginning when they actually renovated existing homes rather than demo and build new. They did some incredible things with existing homes in the beginning of the series. It was more interesting then.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top