U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2008, 02:47 AM

10 posts, read 24,100 times

Advertisements

Greetings,

My husband and I are looking forward to relocate to Arlington area. We currently are living in NJ, close to NYC. I have been reading mixed reviews on the area. Some people say its a good place while others say its not a good place. My question is can it be that bad of a place compare to Bronx and Newark, NJ? Also, I hear a lot of complain about traffic, how bad is the traffic? Can it be bad as traffic in NYC? Anyone who has been in the city will tell you the traffic is a hassle.

Anyways, I have two questions.

1- His uncle will be opening a clothing store by the Cowboy Stadium, is that area safe?
2- How do people commute to college/university and etc considering there is no mass transit?

Thank you
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2008, 10:32 AM

1,383 posts, read 3,165,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ojosasixoxo View Post
Greetings,

My husband and I are looking forward to relocate to Arlington area. We currently are living in NJ, close to NYC. I have been reading mixed reviews on the area. Some people say its a good place while others say its not a good place. My question is can it be that bad of a place compare to Bronx and Newark, NJ? Also, I hear a lot of complain about traffic, how bad is the traffic? Can it be bad as traffic in NYC? Anyone who has been in the city will tell you the traffic is a hassle.

1- His uncle will be opening a clothing store by the Cowboy Stadium, is that area safe?
2- How do people commute to college/university and etc considering there is no mass transit?

Thank you
I am originally from NYC and still go there all the time for business trips and visits, so hopefully I can help you with comparisons to the DFW area and stuff.

Arlington is a very nice and fast growing city that has its good and bad areas, just like every other city. As far as being comparable to the Bronx and Newark, I would say that it is not. There is crime in Arlington, but nothing like that.

Traffic is certainly not as bad as NYC. There is back-ups and stuff, especially during rush hour, but it is still pretty good compared to NYC traffic. Traffic in NYC is horrible and not even on the same scale as the DFW area.

Public transportation is not very good here in the DFW area. Only certain areas have it, and Arlington is not one of them, atleast not right now. Maybe in the future! But your options will be either to drive or drive to a DART station(depending on where your going to college) and then ride it to the college.

Old 12-23-2008, 04:57 PM

10 posts, read 24,100 times
Thank you very much for your reply.....

Old 12-23-2008, 08:13 PM

394 posts, read 1,141,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $DFW8$ View Post
I am originally from NYC and still go there all the time for business trips and visits, so hopefully I can help you with comparisons to the DFW area and stuff.

Arlington is a very nice and fast growing city that has its good and bad areas, just like every other city. As far as being comparable to the Bronx and Newark, I would say that it is not. There is crime in Arlington, but nothing like that.

Traffic is certainly not as bad as NYC. There is back-ups and stuff, especially during rush hour, but it is still pretty good compared to NYC traffic. Traffic in NYC is horrible and not even on the same scale as the DFW area.

Public transportation is not very good here in the DFW area. Only certain areas have it, and Arlington is not one of them, atleast not right now. Maybe in the future! But your options will be either to drive or drive to a DART station(depending on where your going to college) and then ride it to the college.
I just moved here from NJ and lived several years of my life in the Bronx and in the shadow of Newark, NJ for the past 13 years.

Arlington is a wonderful wonderful place compared to the urban wastelands of NY/NJ. There is absolutely NO comparison. It is not even close to an apples vs. oranges comparison. Folk down here just don't live like that. Seriously.

I work in Arlington and am on the verge of moving to North Richland Hills, TX. I am new to the area, but spent many formative years down in Houston and many more in both the Bronx and Newark. Just like the poster just above, I imagine that I can answer any question you might have about the area.

Let us know what you'd really like to know.

-Eric

Old 12-24-2008, 12:28 AM

307 posts, read 1,107,158 times
The area where they are building the new stadium is getting a total overhaul, Collins St just south of I-30. They've demolished a lot of old apartments and businesses where the stadium is. Lincoln Square, which is just by the stadium, is nice and has many restaraunts and shops, that might be a good place to open up. Some neighborhoods to the west of the area are pretty old, but they aren't rough or anything. Generally speaking, the area is fine.

If you go to Arlington PD's website you can watch active calls in real time if you want to get an idea of what goes on in the city. You can do extensive searches for on their site for crime stats as well.

Old 12-24-2008, 09:52 AM

1,383 posts, read 3,165,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric S View Post
I just moved here from NJ and lived several years of my life in the Bronx and in the shadow of Newark, NJ for the past 13 years.

Arlington is a wonderful wonderful place compared to the urban wastelands of NY/NJ. There is absolutely NO comparison. It is not even close to an apples vs. oranges comparison. Folk down here just don't live like that. Seriously.

I work in Arlington and am on the verge of moving to North Richland Hills, TX. I am new to the area, but spent many formative years down in Houston and many more in both the Bronx and Newark. Just like the poster just above, I imagine that I can answer any question you might have about the area.

Let us know what you'd really like to know.

-Eric
Oh ya I definitely agree that there is no comparison at all between NYC and the DFW area. It is like night and day differences.

Old 12-31-2008, 07:51 AM

634 posts, read 1,438,268 times
Once the stadium is built the traffic problem will probobly get better. There are lanes blocked and I30 is under construction. Many people live in South Arlington just because it is easier to get around and that is where the shopping is: Arlington Park Mall.

I think you will like the wide open spaces! Welcome to Arlington!

Old 12-31-2008, 10:37 AM

1,298 posts, read 3,998,092 times
I live near all that construction by the new stadium and I can't wait till it's all done. It should be very nice! I second Lincoln Square. It's a very quaint and busy shopping area with restaurants and retail shops along with some big name anchor stores. Northwest Arlington has nice neighborhoods as well as the central/west portion of the city south of I-30 and south Arlington, south of I-20, is also good. Lots of shopping, lots of restaurants. Joe Poole Lake is in south Arlington/south Grand Prairie. Of course, Six Flags is here (the original) and also Hurricane Harbor which is a large water park. East Arlington where it comes up to Hwy 360 between I-30 and I-20 is an area I wouldn't live in.

Well, I was trying to attach a pic of the fountain with the horses in Lincoln Square but it isn't working. I've done it before. Maybe I'll try another time.

Old 01-02-2009, 12:18 AM

7 posts, read 16,652 times
any word on the Arlington transit system?

Old 01-05-2009, 07:37 AM

356 posts, read 431,839 times
Default Mass transit = pickup truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ojosasixoxo View Post
Greetings,

Thank you
Generally speaking you need to stay away from east Arlington. There is a lot to think about if you are buying a home. If schools are an issue then go to AISD website and go over that and post specific questions, this will limit your choices some what. If you want to go to UTA or Tarrant County College then commute will be important, but nothing like NYC. Generally moving east and west is easy in Arlington and north and south is hard. Personal vehicle is the only way to get around in Arlington and generally speaking Texans do not speak "mass transit", it is a foreign dialect. There are apts available that puts you in easy bicycle distance of both Cowboy Statium and UTA.

Safety is not really much of a concern. There is some crime but nothing like some areas of NJ even though about 1/2+ autos are likely armed, and legally so in Texas. That is not altogether a bad thing.

I have been here since 1986, my children graduated from HS and UTA my wife is an AISD teacher with a masters from UTA. I worked as an outside telephone man for 15 years in the area, so I have the local knowledge. Ask away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth