U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 10:29 PM

2 posts, read 3,458 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Terre Haute, IN and want to GET OUT! It's not a horrible place to live, but I've pretty much been here for most of my life and have always wanted to move and experience other places. Also, I HATE cold weather with a passion and would be fine to never see snow again! Always thought Texas would be a fun place - it's warmer and has friendly people (from what I hear).
My husband is a recent college grad, looking for a job in marketing/advertising. Right now, our income is around $70k combined, but will go up quite a bit when he quits his bartending job and gets a "real" job (not knocking bartending, but we both want 9-5 jobs). Anyway, we have a 1 year old and 7 year old, so schools are important. We don't want to spend more than $130-140k on a home and are looking for good public schools. Hopefully that price range for a home isn't too low, but I don't want to be house-poor. Most likely my job will be in downtown Ft Worth, at the Federal Building on Taylor St. How is traffic there? That's one thing I can't complain about here, with a 12-15 min. commute to work.
I want to live in a subdivision with close neighbors (since we won't know anyone) and preferably one with a community pool and play area. There is NO culture or entertainment here of any kind - I'd like to go to museums, ballet, and plays. Would I have to go to Dallas for that, or does Fort Worth have anything? Also, we'll be looking for a good place for my daughter to take ballet. I'm just wondering what areas I should focus on to move, since the area is so big (it is Texas!). I love the beach...what are the best/closest beaches to Fort Worth? If anyone can give me some information (any at all), I would appreciate it. I just found this website today and am so excited about it!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 12:10 AM

7 posts, read 16,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuzz View Post
I currently live in Terre Haute, IN and want to GET OUT! It's not a horrible place to live, but I've pretty much been here for most of my life and have always wanted to move and experience other places. Also, I HATE cold weather with a passion and would be fine to never see snow again! Always thought Texas would be a fun place - it's warmer and has friendly people (from what I hear).
Overall, the weather in the DFW area is nice. The summers are hot. Not humid, but a dry heat often over 100 degrees. And you will definitely see snow in the winter! Im sure not as bad as IN, but its get cold, but not unbearable. Also, the residents are very laid back and are generally friendly.

Quote:
My husband is a recent college grad, looking for a job in marketing/advertising. Right now, our income is around $70k combined, but will go up quite a bit when he quits his bartending job and gets a "real" job (not knocking bartending, but we both want 9-5 jobs). Anyway, we have a 1 year old and 7 year old, so schools are important. We don't want to spend more than $130-140k on a home and are looking for good public schools. Hopefully that price range for a home isn't too low, but I don't want to be house-poor.
The area has many career opportunities especially for college grad, even an HS grad can do ok! I don't know much about the public schools. IMO i think its a perfect time to buy a house in this buyers market and you will get plenty of home with 130-140k, if you can get financing of course...

Quote:
Most likely my job will be in downtown Ft Worth, at the Federal Building on Taylor St. How is traffic there? That's one thing I can't complain about here, with a 12-15 min. commute to work.
The traffic is like any typical major U.S city busy 8-12 and 4-7 are the most populated times I noticed while living int here area.

Quote:
I want to live in a subdivision with close neighbors (since we won't know anyone) and preferably one with a community pool and play area. There is NO culture or entertainment here of any kind - I'd like to go to museums, ballet, and plays. Would I have to go to Dallas for that, or does Fort Worth have anything? Also, we'll be looking for a good place for my daughter to take ballet. I'm just wondering what areas I should focus on to move, since the area is so big (it is Texas!). I love the beach...what are the best/closest beaches to Fort Worth? If anyone can give me some information (any at all), I would appreciate it. I just found this website today and am so excited about it!
The entire Dallas/Fort Worth metropolitan area contains many great attractions! From zoos, museums, there are two large lakes (1 NW of FW and the other SW of Dallas), sports, plays, ballet, martial arts, plus so much more. I would recommend the Arlington area. It's experiencing great growth, the city gov is making sure it stays clean and safe, its right in between Dallas and Fort Worth. Its the best of both worlds IMO. I hope i helped.

Old 01-03-2009, 02:08 PM

11 posts, read 38,687 times
Is Fort Worth a good place for a divorced woman? I am thinking of heading out that way in a few months. I am looking for a townhome or condo, that will accept a dog. Any suggestions on where to look?

Old 01-03-2009, 03:41 PM

The DFW metropolitan area has about 2-3 million people. I'm sure you will find a place to fit in! Depending on your price range, you should find a nice place that will accept pets. I had a 100 lb Rottweiler in my 2 bedroom with no problems

Old 01-03-2009, 03:52 PM

10,501 posts, read 22,335,634 times
Fort Worth is MUCH better for museums and culture than Dallas. The Kimbell Art Museum is world-class, and so are the Amon Carter and Modern Art museums. The Bass Performance Hall gets major theatre touring companies. The one thing that Dallas has that Fort Worth doesn't is an opera.

Nearest beach is Galveston, which is a 5-hour drive, and it's not really pretty... South Padre Island is a 10-hour drive or a quick Southwest Airlines flight away!

Look in the Hometown subdivision in North Richland Hills. It might fit your price range, and it has all of the other things you're looking for.

Old 01-03-2009, 04:42 PM

I agree North Richland Hills is a nice area.

Old 01-04-2009, 04:42 PM

2 posts, read 4,186 times
I currently live in Ft Worth (just passed 10 years) and love it. I agree that N. Richland Hills is a nice area, and Tarrant County is both family-friendly and single-friendly. I currently live off 820 and Trinity and love my neighborhood, even though it's considered the east side. There are several new housing areas being developed, and my neighborhood even has a really nice lake, complete with walking trails.

Old 01-05-2009, 12:51 AM

23 posts, read 67,984 times
I just moved from Indiana to Fort Worth recently. I love it down here but I can't seem to find a decent job. They are available, but there are a lot of people moving down here looking for work right now, which means you have a lot of competition at the moment. Good luck.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:14 AM

356 posts, read 431,709 times
Stuzz:

You have been given excellent advice. Schools are going to be your driver here. Stay away from East Fort Worth. That is changing and is going to change but you have immediate need. That leaves lots of choices. Suspect you need flexability so you need striking distance to Dallas and Fort Worth with 2 workers. That means look at the map. Go to the school websites. There are good schools in all districts and not so good in all districts. Ask me. Wife teaches and I have 15 years as a street telephone man in this area. I know where the stumps are in this lake.

Old 01-05-2009, 12:01 PM

295 posts, read 875,776 times
Hi Stuzz,
I moved to the Fort Worth area from Indianapolis a year ago. I've been to Terre Haute and I understand what you say. Indy is probably more comparable to FW than Terre Haute is. I would warn you though, the traffic situation in and out of downtown Fort Worth is TERRIBLE compared to Indy (let alone Terre Haute). I think the highways going into the city have been outpaced by the growth seen in the area. If you can't help having to work downtown, I would say expect at least a 30-45 minute commute each way, probably more if you live further north or south of the city.

There are a lot of options for housing but in your budget I'm sure you could find something in North Richland Hills, Watauga, Keller, Haslet or North FW (north of 820). Be aware as well that property taxes here are in many cases close to or right at 3%. This was significantly higher than the 1% I paid in Indy (I'm sure Terre Haute is about the same).

Good luck with your search and let me know if I can be of any help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth