Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2009, 08:21 AM

39 posts, read 118,054 times

Advertisements

Hi - we are probably going to be moving to FW in the next 6 months. So...we will be taking our family vacation sometime after we get there. Can you give me some ideas of a great place to go for some R&R?? Galveston? Corpus Christi? We would love some kind of body of water...would you suggest a lakefront or oceanfront location? Help!!

ETA: We have three kids under 7 yrs. old....

Last edited by Dsmall; 01-03-2009 at 08:22 AM.. Reason: Forgot some details..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 12:01 PM

95 posts, read 256,119 times
I would suggest staying away from Galveston since they are still trying to deal with the clean up from the hurricane from last year.

Corpus Christi and Port Aransas are definitely good beach/water destinations in TX.

Old 01-06-2009, 06:15 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
frankly I would suggest LAKE vs OCEAN/GULF for water vacations

consider Lake Travis in Austin or one of the Highland Lakes--make sure that the one you pick is a constant level lake--they all are not--rent a house as close to the water as you can afford--there are usually quite a few side trips that you can take in the area--go to Austin--check out the state capital and other sites--good restaurants
check out the state park that is the Canyon of the Eagles--think it is lake Buchannan

or go to New Braunfels area--rent place on the river--go to Schlitterbaum water park--
go to San Antonio--Canyon Lake area (that is not a constant level lake but it usually has accessible water for skiing/swimming--you can rent private home or "cabin resort" type
lots of stuff to do in SA for kids

Beach in Corpus can be disappointing to people who have been to Pensacola/Destin area or Hawaii
check out S Padre Island--but that too can be disappointing--sand is not the same and water quality can be tainted because it has the shipping channel so close...

Old 01-08-2009, 08:11 PM
pfw

186 posts, read 848,915 times
We went to Horseshoe Bay in July on Lake LBJ. We all thought it was really nice and my daughter (3yo) had a great time. They had a big courtyard with a big checkerboard, had tons of kids activities, and you had access to 3 pools. One was located at the Marriott where we stayed which had kids pool. There was another pool that was at the lake and they had a "beach" so the kids could play in the sand.

From Horseshoe Bay, you could easily drive to Fredericksburg or even Austin.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:29 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,287,734 times
What type of R&R?
The Palo Duro Canyon up by Amarillo is the 2nd largest canyon in the US, 2nd only to the Grand Canyon.
There is Big Bend National park, famous for it's ecosystem's diversity
There is Guadalupe Mountain National park famous for its abundant fossils (and slightly to the north in New Mexico there is Carlsbad Caverns)
There is Corpus Cristi, which is a pretty nice beach.
There is Schliterbahn (sp?) some water park in San Antonio, it supposed to be the biggest in the nation or something like that.
There is the NASA center in Houston

But I would say, it sounds like Corpus Cristi is what your looking for.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:33 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
Corpus does not have a good beach--IMO
think you are better off going further south to Padre Island or maybe to Port Aransas--don't know how badly it was hurt by the last big hurricane--don't think nearly as bad as Galveston
but in TX the beach is not the best

Old 01-10-2009, 04:33 PM

39 posts, read 118,054 times
thanks guys...I am going to print out the thread so that I have all the info for when we are ready!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth