Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 09:12 AM

23 posts, read 164,652 times

Advertisements

I bought a house last year in Benbrook and just a few days ago received an application for Homestead Exemption in the mail. I did some reading but I'm still fuzzy so I'm hoping some of you guys can explain this to me in simple terms (like you did the "winterization" of my sprinkler system - haha).

I understand it will reduce my property taxes. It sounds like a no brainer but since it's not automatic, there must be a catch. What exactly am I giving up in exchange for lower taxes? I mean, is this something wise and wonderful that everybody does?

Obviously I'm still new to Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 12:07 PM

95 posts, read 256,135 times
This should help-http://www.window.state.tx.us/taxinfo/proptax/exmptns.html

Also, be leery of some of the mail that you receive about homestead exemption because my wife almost fell into having a company file the exemption for us and they pocket the fee that you don't need their assistance with.

Old 01-03-2009, 04:29 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,839,259 times
good heads up about being smart about it
the tax office will not send out that type of info from what I remember
you can get the forms on-line I think that tad.org
check it out
there is time window to put in your application--do it at the wrong time and the TAD will throw it away

you don't give up anything but you can only have one homestead exemption--it means that is your primary legal residence

we bought house at end of 2008 and still own our old one--we can't get it for both--and we have to check and see if we can switch the exemption to the new house --which is more expensive-- for 2009

it used to be that you could not take out a second mortgage for your "homestead" which prevented many people from getting line of credit years ago against their equity--the banks and other credit people lobbied the state legislature really hard to open the TX market to that type of credit operation--if the law had not changed TX would not have been hit as hard has it has with foreclosures because people would not have been taking out second mortgages for anything but home improvements

Old 01-04-2009, 05:55 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,252,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post

we bought house at end of 2008 and still own our old one--we can't get it for both--and we have to check and see if we can switch the exemption to the new house --which is more expensive-- for 2009
Yes, when you apply on the form it asks you if you are claiming exemption on another house and when you check the box "yes" they will cancel the old one and put it on your new one.

Just to be safe, write a short note with your app. when you mail it in.

Also, gliebster, don't pay anyone to file a homestead exemption for you. It's free and you only need to do it once for the whole time you own the house and as long as it's your primary residence.

Naima

Old 01-04-2009, 07:41 PM

634 posts, read 1,558,300 times
You can only claim the exemption at certain times of the year for the first time and you must file it every year. I think you have until the end of January. Texas has very unique laws about your home. Homesteading means that this is your primary residence, it also means that only a taxing authority (IRS or non-payment of property taxes) can take your home from you. Unlike other states, if you are in a lawsuit or default credit cards, they cannot take your home with a homestead exemption. A homestead exemption is a good thing for sure and saves you lots of money!

Welcome to Texas!

Last edited by EllenArlingtonPark; 01-04-2009 at 07:43 PM.. Reason: additional info

Old 01-05-2009, 11:08 AM

295 posts, read 949,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
the tax office will not send out that type of info from what I remember
you can get the forms on-line I think that tad.org
check it out
there is time window to put in your application--do it at the wrong time and the TAD will throw it away
I actually got the same form in the mail a few days ago as well and it came from TAD so I know they do send these (I bought my home in march 08).

I still cannot understand why I wasn't able to file a partial exemption for 08 though... specially given I lived in the house 10 months out of the year. Can someone explain that?

Old 01-05-2009, 11:15 AM

119 posts, read 514,085 times
you had to have lived there on January 1st of 2008 to get the exemption. That's why you are now eligible for this year.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:16 AM

well at least I didn't buy on January 2nd or I would have pulled my hairs when I found out.

This isn't done intentionally to have the homeowner pay more that first year, is it?

sorry, just venting....

Old 01-05-2009, 08:31 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,252,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcamber View Post
well at least I didn't buy on January 2nd or I would have pulled my hairs when I found out.

This isn't done intentionally to have the homeowner pay more that first year, is it?

sorry, just venting....
If there was an existing homestead exemption on that house from the previous owners, you would be able to take advantage of it. Unless it was a brand new construction or the homeowners claimed the exemption on their new house.

Naima

Old 01-06-2009, 08:45 AM

nope... brand new .

Oh well, this year it better appraise to current market conditions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth