U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2007, 09:52 AM

4 posts, read 11,087 times

Advertisements

Hello. I am a teacher of special education and elementary school. I am also a foster/adoptive parent. I am thinking of moving to the fort worth area and would like information on a good place to live, and any info on foster care in the area. I would like to continue to be a foster parent. I am single, caucasian, and 2 of my 3 children are African American. Ideas??? Right now I've been looking into Weatherford. I also want to be within an hour of major medical hospital, museums, zoos, etc.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2007, 03:55 AM

1 posts, read 3,047 times
Where Are You Moving From?and I Would PERFERR Weatherford,anything You Want For Kids Is There Are Not Far,race Isnt A Issue There,everything Will Come As You Desire.

Last edited by KEELYEE; 03-18-2007 at 03:57 AM.. Reason: MISSED WORD

Old 04-10-2007, 02:03 PM

1 posts, read 3,001 times
Default moving to Fort Worth area

I don't share the same opinion of Weatherford. There is a lot of growth there but it is, in my opinion, an area where upper and middle class caucasions are moving to avoid urban Fort Worth. There is a lot of growth happening in Fort Worth proper and I actually think it is a good time to move here. We're in a cultural growth phase with a lot of heavy investing going on.

If you are looking for a highly diverse area I would look into Arlington, located between Fort Worth and Dallas. It is very diverse and affordable. The schools are very good too! The downside of Arlington is that it has experienced a tremendous amount of growth and traffic can be sticky. Culturally, though, it is a city worth exploring.

I would also point out that there is currently a campaign to find good foster homes in the metroplex. I believe that the Fox news network did a news story on it a few days ago. You could probably find more information about it on the Channel 4 website.

Last edited by teacher/mom; 04-10-2007 at 02:23 PM..

Old 04-11-2007, 08:40 AM

32,611 posts, read 51,202,899 times
I would recommend the Mid-Cities--Grapevine--Arlington area--

Being in Weatherford is within an hour's drive of FTW but I agree with MOVING-TO-FTW--Weatherford/Aledo is not really culturally diverse and most of the growth there seems to be "white flight"---families moving to more rural environment trying to find the perfect place w/no problems to threaten their children...which is not realistic...

Mid-Cities area Hurst Euless Bedford is multi-cultural--older yes, but still viable subdivisions--HEB ISD has some problems but also some excellent schools and programs---Grapevine in Grapevine Colleyville District is more diverse than Colleyville and more affordable...

North Richland Hills also has diverse population but don't know about stability of some older neighborhoods--have friend who moved there about 5 years ago from Arlington to be closer to where she teaches and her neighborhood seems to be losing ground past couple of years--big growth/building boom in NRH --think there are people taking advantage of cheap mortgages which will turn out to be problem in 3-5 years--also don't thinks school district is ready for growth either...

Arlington has some nice neighborhoods and schools and also some problem areas--new growth due to cowboy stadium and large development off 157 in N part and also along 1-20 in S---had diverse population and also problem with gangs and overworked police...read that Arlington was losing tax revenue and had downturn in residents with income over 50,000 in article in FTW paper about changing demographics in cities in Tarrant co---that may change in coming years due to new development...

if you want to continue to be a foster parent you won't have any problem finding acceptance and you certainly won't have problem finding employment if you are special ed teacher--almost any district has openings--check out Birdville, HEB, and Keller--think their pay scales are highest....other districts may pay bonus for that hiring speciality...good luck--special ed teachers are a special group of people...

Mansfield/Burleson is seeing growth from people moving into area from out of state and moving from Dallas-FTW south into "better" environment--
don't know about diversity really there--seems to be more classified in that minorities are poorer and not part of main-stream but I don't live there so can't say w/any certainty--just general impression from media and comments from others..

Old 05-02-2007, 06:25 AM

4 posts, read 11,087 times
Thank you for all of the input, I really appreciate it!!!

Old 12-12-2008, 05:23 PM

1 posts, read 2,347 times
I am looking into being a foster parent but i am not sure if i can pay for everything that they need. can any tell me if the state pays well?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth