U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 11:33 AM

32,627 posts, read 51,232,810 times

Advertisements

moved into 4 yr old house just before Christmas--the home inspector said the appliances were all fine but the dishwasher has never cleaned as well as the one that we had at our old house--it is a top-of-the-line Kitchenaid -- SS interior--which got excellent reviews from Consumer Reports about the time the house was built--one of the reasons I think the homeowners used KitchenAid appliances was that CR gave good reviews to that company--and yet when I read Google reviews--most owners are complaining about quality and service and poor followup from KitchenAid
we were Jenn-Air and GE at the old house...

We have literally done maybe 12 loads of dishes or fewer in the month we have been living here and just can't get anything clean--did a load yesterday- and UGH when I opened the door up--spaghetti stains still all over the spoons and lots of crud on everything--had to rewash everything in the sink and I was embarassed because we had a friend for dinner...

I do rinse off the big stuff but I am not washing dishes before putting them in the dw--at the old house--the dishwasher could clean ANYTHING on the dishes or pots so I assumed that it would be the same with this unit.
We have recirculating hot water--it is hot in 3 seconds from turning on the faucet--and plenty of steam when the door is open mid-cycle...so heated water should not be the issue...
got home warranty when we bought the house and called them last night--they have Sears scheduled to come out Wednesday afternoon...but not hopefull after reading all the negatives on-line...

you can PM me so they won't move this to some appliance only forum...just want to know if we should maybe cut our losses sooner than later--it will cost us $60 for the service call and anything else should be covered under the homeowner's warranty pkg since we got pre-existing conditions to cover everything that could go wrong...(hopefully)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 08:20 AM

4,172 posts, read 6,221,539 times
We have a new KA SS dishwasher (moved into the new house 6 months ago) and use it almost daily. It was working fine till recently when we noticed that sometimes - once a week or so - the dishes were not clean. Turns out that those times, the soap dispenser was not working properly. It probably opened up late (or in the wrong cycle) as the soap was still in there (half used). I guess I have a 1 yr warranty and will call KAid.

Old 01-14-2009, 08:25 AM

this last time--the soap gel tablet was only partially dissolved but other times there was no residue in the dispenser and the dishes were still yucky...
do you use rinse-aid in yours...
I never had to with my older dw...

Old 01-14-2009, 08:48 AM

4,172 posts, read 6,221,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
this last time--the soap gel tablet was only partially dissolved but other times there was no residue in the dispenser and the dishes were still yucky...
do you use rinse-aid in yours...
I never had to with my older dw...
We also use the tablets without rinseaids. One has to wonder if the tablet is the problem and is not dissolving - may try a liquid the next time. Right now, I feel my older dw worked better too. BTW, we have bigger issues with the Kenmore Elite washing machine - it is over a yr old (no warranty) and is now giving problems. I think - dont know if others have the same experience - the quality of appliances in general is going down, and companies seem to be making money doing repairs.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:00 AM

agree with that
have different type of shower controls in this house as well--and there is self-limit on hot water temp installed in the shower valve--I can't decide how hot my shower gets--the valve does--I hate it...
I like a HOT shower--the plumber said that it is part of national safety movement to take decisions out of hands of users and prevent people from being scalded--like smaller children or people who might fall in the shower or something...
can understand that in some way--but I have no small children and am not elderly---and I want HOT showers...
very frustrating...
I too have Sears front loading washer--have change that has fallen out of pants' pockets and gotten behind the drum--no way to get to it and remove it by simply opening up the front panel of the dryer--
totally stupid design which has the screws to remove the drum on the outside of the drum not reachable from where you put the clothes...have to take off the back of the washer and remove the drum--how stupid is that...

Old 01-14-2009, 02:39 PM

356 posts, read 433,115 times
1.Pull the baskets out and pull the thumb screws of the swivel points of the big blade nozzles. B4 you do that though, run it empty and in mid cycle open the door quickly and see if everything is spinning, if not do #1 and look for glass, melted palstic and so forth to see if there is something stopping the unit from working properly.

I have had to replace a coupling that fed water to the top blade nozzel on my ss kitchenaide. Mine cleans very good and at about 6 years old it had been very reliable. at the time it was top of the line. Sounds to me something aint right. BTW some of that dishwasher I suspect has a 5 yr warranty so call Kitchen Aide.

Old 01-14-2009, 03:27 PM

the sellers of the house paid for home warranty to cover us for a year on everything--paid for pre-existing conditions--so it is not the kitchenaid warranty that is working--but separate 3rd party warrenty...don't know how good it really is but the girl I talked with that night I called was very polite and got a repairman coming Wed when I called Monday night--which I thought was quick for Sears--it used to be that they serviced one area one day of the week and if you called on the wrong day you just had to wait a week to get a service man out...

Old 01-14-2009, 03:46 PM

3,044 posts, read 11,044,588 times
I have had dishwasher/refridge problems in almost every house we have had. My stuff from my first house worked awesome and yes they were older. The dishwasher was loud but it worked great. (GE)
My last two problem have been with whirlpool, but sound like the same problem you are having...just not cleaning well.

The one we have now has to have the line cleand that goes from the dishwasher to the garbage disposal about every couple of months...it get clogged with gunk and food particles... I too rinse off all dishes but it still gets clogged up. (fine grains of debris stuck on glasses etc..)
So you may try that and see if it works.

I want to replace it but we too have a home warrenty so I am waiting to see if it dies on it's own! But would love to hear who has an new dishwasher that cleans awesome and is QUIET!

I'll save my fridge stories for another thread...but after having problems with 2 new one (but over 1 year old for manufactors warrenty) I will NEVER buy one with the computer from panel. They are more trouble than they are worth!!

Old 01-14-2009, 05:15 PM

Bosch is what gets positive reports on the gardenweb.com home site

Old 01-15-2009, 07:20 AM

356 posts, read 433,115 times
BTW, Incidentally, 12 months parts and labor, 5 years on some selected parts no labor. That is (or was) manfacturers. Your 3rd party home warranty should cover it all less deductable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth