Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 03:16 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,883,491 times

Advertisements

not only that if you have to "beg borrow or steal" to get in....your kids will be at the bottom of the socio economic status level. Life can be hard in MS & HS and when you have friends whose parents give them $$$ to shop with every weekend and buy new cars at 16 etc... it will be hard.
Southlake is a very "keep up with the Joneses" place and despite what many will say appearences count, what car your parents drive etc...
Do you have the lastes coach bag? JuicyCouture? etc...

If you have the money and that lifestyle is ok with you then move there.

Yes the schools are very good, but reseach and you will find just as good of schools in the adjoining communities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 09:02 AM

16 posts, read 55,076 times
Default ISDs not as important as neighborhood

Hi again,
We are a homeschooling family, so, while the ISD's are a consideration because of their effect on property values, we are really more concerned about the neighborhood in general. I should have mentioned that to begin with, I guess. It looks like the job will be in Fort Worth, not Denton, so we want something within a 30 minute commute of Fort Worth. I have heard good things about Keller, and also Crowley and the Burleson area. I like a country small town feel, with easy access to the city and fun things to do. A community that is friendly and safe, where my kids can ride their bikes down the street without me worrying, but one that is not so small that everyone is slow to accept 'newcomers' would be ideal. Thanks for all the help.

Old 02-06-2009, 12:13 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,453,455 times
Look for something in the Northwest ISD. It's literally right in between FW and Denton and is rated pretty highly. I'm also sure that you could find MANY large lots in that area.

Old 02-06-2009, 12:15 PM

Oops...I just read your latest post about homeschooling and about the job being in FW. Sorry!

Anyway I don't know if I'd want to live in Crowley or Burleson but Keller is pretty nice. I feel like Crowley/Burleson seem to have sort of a "run down" feel...a lot of new development yes but I just don't (personally) like the area myself.

Old 02-06-2009, 05:28 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,883,491 times
aledo is very pretty and has that small town feel but still very close to Ft Worth.

Old 02-06-2009, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5stones View Post
aledo is very pretty and has that small town feel but still very close to Ft Worth.
Yeah..... and you could get a lot more than a quarter acre in Aledo if you wanted it.

Old 02-08-2009, 09:56 AM

17 posts, read 52,525 times
I live in Savannah, which is east of Denton. You can check out the website at www.savannahdfw.com

We LOVE Savannah. We are heartbroken that we are now moving. Savannah definitely has the "small town" feel to it. There are many, many community events here in Savannah - great parks, swimming pools, tennis courts, soccer fields, etc.
There are quite a few homeschooling families here in Savannah too.

The yards are TINY in Savannah, but there are very large common areas. Hiking trails, walking trails, ponds, etc. Even though we have a small yard, we feel like there's plenty of room for the kids to play, run, explore.

My personal opinion is that Bowen family makes a better home than D.R. Horton, but that's just my opinion. I live in a D.R. Horton and there are many substandard things about this house - terrible quality of paint and carpet are the worst. But my house is the "builder's grade" - not the upgraded model.

All of the houses are large with plenty of room inside. Great floor plans, and my house is 4 bedroom/ 2033 square feet all on one floor.

Anyway, look into Savannah. I have really enjoyed living here.

Old 02-08-2009, 03:07 PM

113 posts, read 392,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by educatingmommy View Post
Hi again,
We are a homeschooling family, so, while the ISD's are a consideration because of their effect on property values, we are really more concerned about the neighborhood in general. I should have mentioned that to begin with, I guess. It looks like the job will be in Fort Worth, not Denton, so we want something within a 30 minute commute of Fort Worth. I have heard good things about Keller, and also Crowley and the Burleson area. I like a country small town feel, with easy access to the city and fun things to do. A community that is friendly and safe, where my kids can ride their bikes down the street without me worrying, but one that is not so small that everyone is slow to accept 'newcomers' would be ideal. Thanks for all the help.
Northlake has some one arce lots, there are two homes for sale and they still have a few lots left, All the lots are one arce. I know of 3 familys that homeschool. Small town but you can be in Denton, Flower Mound and Ft. worth under 30 min. Just don't speed through Norhtalke and you will be fine.

Old 02-14-2009, 10:56 AM

Default Now - property taxes, commutes, etc

Thanks for all your help so far. My husband's job will be in the North part of FW near the Stockyards. We have been shocked at the property taxes there - where we live they are only around $400 a yr. What are the best cities/counties for property taxes within a decent commute time of my husband's job? Also, I have been told that Decatur is not a far commute from where he works, but it looks far on the map. Please suggest any places I might have ruled out based on their position on the map which would actually be within a 40 min commute. I am still looking for a small town feel, and a good size backyard with trees if possible.

I also wondered about Arlington - many people have suggested it, but it looks like a really big city to me. Are there areas of Arlington that would still give us that small town feeling?

Thanks for all your help!

Old 02-14-2009, 10:58 AM

I forgot to ask, does anyone have info about Weatherford or Newark? These look like possibilities..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth