Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 10:36 PM

3 posts, read 24,442 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to the Fort Worth area and have been looking into the Aledo area but suddenly came upon Granbury. I would love to live on a lake. I began my search in Aledo because I have a friend who has lived there and loves it but was wondering if anyone could share about Granbury. How are the schools? How is the commute to the west side of Fort Worth...mapquest says forty minutes? How is the town? Etc., etc...

Any help is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2007, 10:43 AM

4,610 posts, read 11,101,365 times
I live in Granbury,
If I had children I would not move to Granbury. The schools are not good. Do a search on the schools. Someone on here might have a link for you to check the schools in this and other areas.
The main attraction is the lake and the town square. A lot of people retire here or own second homes on or near the lake.
The town is growing, with a lot of new developement (subdivisions) on the lake. But with 5 children I would not recommend this area. It's just not set up as a family community. Maybe in the future it will have more to offer families and maybe the schools will get better. But for now it's just not the case.
Unlike a area like Frisco or something that is set up for families, Granbury is not that. Like I said it is a place to retire or own a second home on the lake.
Granbury is one of two towns in Texas that has the highest number of millionaires. (Someone on this board has children and lives in Granbury and she said it is full of rich people and the schools are awful so she is moving.)
It's just what it is. It is not trying to be anything then what it is. But if you want to own a second home here on the lake I would highly recommend it.

Old 03-13-2007, 10:54 AM

tnvolfan1971 posted this on 12-08-06

[quote]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have lived in Granbury for almost 3 years and I hate it for the most part. The traffic is a nightmare in the summer months or here lately anytime of the year, not to mention the property taxes. The schools are pathetic in my opinion. I have had to file harassment charges against another student because the school wont' do anything about her harassing my high school daughter. The crime is not as bad as a big city, but we do have our share of it. This is a city filled with "RICH" people by most standards that have summer lake homes or weekend retreats from the big city. East TN here I come, as soon as I am able.

[end quote]

Like I said, Granbury is great place to have a second home on the lake, not a great place to raise a family. It's just not set up that way. Maybe in the future but I don't even see it going in that direction. It's Granbury, a great place to visit, vacation, spend a weekend or retire in. Come down in the summer and rent jet skies. Do some shopping around the square. Go see a show at the Opera House. That is Lake Granbury = a getaway.

Last edited by Roma; 03-13-2007 at 11:07 AM..

Old 03-13-2007, 12:07 PM

I also wanted to add this, I came from a family of 5 children. I could not imagine growing up here (Granbury). If I were you, I would look into Frisco, McKinney or Flower Mound. They are all near a lake and are "set up" for families. But I think you are looking near Fort Worth so I would venture into looking into Flower Mound.
I stayed a couple of times in Frisco looking for a lakefront home in Oak Point, Little Elm and Highland something. I liked the area a lot and could see myself living there. But again if Fort Worth is where your job is then I would look at Flower Mound.

Last edited by Roma; 03-13-2007 at 12:31 PM..

Old 03-13-2007, 12:31 PM

3 posts, read 24,442 times
Thanks Roma...

We really like Aledo, and the schools are awesome...thanks for the info on the schools in Granbury.

We have looked at the other areas you spoke about and we are considering Mckinney but only if I get offered a job there (I am interviewing). I have already been offered a job by Fort Worth ISD so that is why we are considering the west side of FW too...

Thanks again for all you comments! I appreciate it.

Old 06-25-2007, 01:49 PM

5 posts, read 33,981 times
Default Granbury - to grow up

I have to respond that, as a dad with three girls in the school system, we have had an awesome experience here in Granbury. I am involved in our PTO and PTA groups and have always felt welcome by administrators and teachers even when I couldn't be involved. I am NOT a native of Granbury but I personally know several principals, many teachers, and much of the administration. During the changes in ethnic groupings in Texas school reporting, we had some numbers that looked bad. But, that was because of very small populations that we had not had to report on before.

I can't see anyone saying this community is not designed to raise kids? We have extensive baseball and soccer leagues, a new YMCA, and many communities of interest - not the least of which are some great local churches with VERY strong youth groups. There are certainly issues with any environment in which you choose to expose your kids to other's influence - but I choose Granbury over many of the alternatives!

Traffic to Fort Worth has gotten horrible in the past years - but people still choose to move here and commute and the North side ( towards Fort Worth ) is growing in residential communities.

Teenage crime and drug influence affects all those other "new" areas (north of Forth Worth) due to boredom, etc. I would guess we have our percentage of that as well.

There are certainly rich people who live in Granbury and the early communities were, and still are, advertised as retirement - but many of the nicest new homes are also purchased by families that are willing to stretch their income to live in nice neighborhhoods or just get out of the metroplex. So, they are normal people that act much the same as you and me. I guess the richest and/or the snobbish are heard by some, but they are not as prevalent as they like to make us think.

There are great opportunities for families in Granbury. I highly recommend it!

Joe ( 15 year resident )

Old 07-06-2007, 08:32 AM

8 posts, read 49,555 times
Can anyone comment on the surrounding littel towns around Grandbury? I am looking toward this area, but want 20 acres and NOT next to the lake. I do not want Crime areas and do have 2 children.

Old 07-06-2007, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin725 View Post
Can anyone comment on the surrounding littel towns around Grandbury? I am looking toward this area, but want 20 acres and NOT next to the lake. I do not want Crime areas and do have 2 children.
My gosh, There are so many choices for you in this whole area. You want 20 acres, You can choose Granbury, Tolar, Glen Rose, Weatherford, Cresson, Action just to name a few. If you can do a search on Hood County that might help you. Not everything in Granbury is actually incorporated into Granbury. Our subdivision is not. It varies from area to area.

Someone in our subdivision owns a stunning lakefront home and also owns 20 acres in the back of our subdivision where they have another home and keep their horses. So really, acreage is everywhere around here.

This whole area is "safe". The only crime we really see in Granbury are drug related. There seems to be a lot of meth here and some of the youth and some adults seem to be involved in that here. But if you read in the newspaper where they usually get arrested, it's always in a certain area. Just don't buy in that area.

FYI. You said you don't want the lake but 20 acres on the lake would probaly cost you a couple million dollars give or take. Depending on the area around the lake of course.

Last edited by Roma; 07-06-2007 at 09:57 AM..

Old 07-06-2007, 10:14 AM

8 posts, read 49,555 times
Thanks. I am looking in the Hill and Somerville and I do need to look more into Hood. There just seems to be so many tiny towns inbtween grandbury/Glan Rose/Cleburne area.

Drugs are a big no no with me. I just lost my (soon to be) X to them, very sad as he really had alot going for him, but then again he choose that over his kids (little f*$%er). SO I really do not want to be near that at all. I have been out there (glen rose/cleburne and Hillsboro) years ago, just wondered if there was a "tiny town" or something to REALLY stay away from. I am not looking into spending alot of money, and I have been on for hours and DAYS on realtor.com and such. And no I do not want anything near the lake at all. I am aware of the prices.

I am on page 14 here and still reading on the other areas.

Thanks !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma View Post
My gosh, There are so many choices for you in this whole area. You want 20 acres, You can choose Granbury, Tolar, Glen Rose, Weatherford, Cresson, Action just to name a few. If you can do a search on Hood County that might help you. Not everything in Granbury is actually incorporated into Granbury. Our subdivision is not. It varies from area to area.

Someone in our subdivision owns a stunning lakefront home and also owns 20 acres in the back of our subdivision where they have another home and keep their horses. So really, acreage is everywhere around here.

This whole area is "safe". The only crime we really see in Granbury are drug related. There seems to be a lot of meth here and some of the youth and some adults seem to be involved in that here. But if you read in the newspaper where they usually get arrested, it's always in a certain area. Just don't buy in that area.

FYI. You said you don't want the lake but 20 acres on the lake would probaly cost you a couple million dollars give or take. Depending on the area around the lake of course.

Old 07-07-2007, 02:28 PM

215 posts, read 985,252 times
I will tell you that it is flooded thats for sure and bugs everywhere
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth