Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2009, 06:59 PM

367 posts, read 1,019,079 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
I could really use some assistance. My husband moved to Grand Prairie to give us time to look around, and we saw some land in a subdivision in Granbury that we are interested in. We are going to go look at it and talk to the owner in a few weeks and just wanted to see if anyone who knows this area can give us information on this area?
we really like Grand Prairie, but would like at least an acre and can't afford that around here. The property is in indian subdivision on lake granbury. it's supposed to be a gated community. Can you tell us about this area? the lot has building restrictions of at least 1000 sq ft, and no mobiles or rv's can be stored. what is the area like? is there a superwalmart? what is there? it sounds like a fast growing area, and its close enough to the city without the crime, i hope? anything you can tell me would be appreciated.
any jobs in the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 11:15 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,356,000 times
Granbury is a good 35-40 minute drive from Fort Worth at least. If Grand Prairie means anything (like if you will be needing to commute to GP), it will be at least an hour drive. And yes, there is a Wal-Mart in Granbury right off 377...I don't know if it's a supercenter or not. I really don't know too much about Granbury...been there a few times but don't know anything about living there. Maybe some other posters will be able to help you more.

Old 02-10-2009, 02:31 PM

6 posts, read 25,809 times
It is one of the faster growing areas. From what I hear, crime is moderate. Not low, but acceptable for most. I wouldn't be afraid to live there.

Before I give my review of Granbury, let me just say that if you'll be working in Dallas, look at Rockwall (Lake Ray Hubbard). It's a fast-growing, super low-crime community with a big lake, but way more convenient than Granbury. You can get acreage there or live with a lake view just as in Granbury. I don't think it's too much more expensive. If you're working in Fort Worth and want convenience, then you may also want to look at the rural communities on the west side of Benbrook Lake (acreage/views).

I've visited Granbury a few times and while it's not my perfect place, I like it. It's got a big lake and a neat historic square plus 25+ bed and breakfasts. A lot of people retire there. If you're imagining a squeaky clean suburb like you might see somewhere in Grand Prairie, it's not that, but it is peaceful and you can get a big lot and/or a nice view for a reasonable price (relatively speaking). There are a lot of newer homes too, some on golf course views or with canal access.

One neat thing is that it's 35 minutes from Fort Worth (add 15 minutes for downtown) so it is conceivable to live in Granbury and work in Fort Worth (I personally wouldn't trek to Dallas, or drive 377 at night... deer). There's Wal-Mart and a handful of decent restaurants (I think a Home Depot and Staples too?). For other shopping, there's southwest Fort Worth which has everything.

My complaints are:

1) Much of the drive in and out along 377 is trashy looking. If they'd get some of those utilities put underground, do a bit of landscaping, etc. they'd have a real gem of a lake town. Once you get into the newer neighborhoods though it's really nice (see Catalina Bay and vicinity).

2) I'm the kind of person that gets really annoyed when I see trucks flying the confederate flag so the fact that the town was named after a Confederate general sets uneasy with me.

Here are a few photos of the square and an upscale neighborhood showing the lake. The place is not ALL this nice. But seriously, how many other places can you live WATERFRONT with a view like that for under a million (or non-waterfront with a similar view for much less than a million)? I would only live here if I could get a view. If I was looking just for acreage I'd pick a place closer to Dallas-Ft Worth because it'll be more convenient and probably not more expensive.

Last edited by NinjaSteve; 02-10-2009 at 03:00 PM..

Old 02-10-2009, 10:00 PM

367 posts, read 1,019,079 times
Thanks so much for your help. I've only been in texas for a couple of months. I lived in Corpus Christi for a few years but then moved to wisconsin and I'm happy to be back, though I confess I don't like the tornado's. yes, they have them in wisconsin, but they have basements, where here, no such luck. I drove a semi truck with my husband for a few years and have just gotten out. hubby is still driving and i'm finishing up school, mostly online. do you know if granbury is truck friendly? places for big trucks to park? i've seen rockwall and absolutely love it, but don't love the traffic. granbury sounds like my kind of town. i don't mind country and the city amenities aren't far.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:37 PM

37,316 posts, read 59,341,154 times
I don't know that I would describe Granbury as one of the fastest growing areas in Metroplex---it has fairly large percentage of retired people who live in Pecan Plantation golf course community--
it also has public ISD that gets quite a few negative comments on this board--
it is a pretty town in the downtown area but tourism has been the big draw there over the past decade or more--now that the economy is drying up--I think that shops on the Sq will take a hit as well...
there are plenty of homes for sale in that area--either in town around the lake/man-made lake or in the neighboring countryside...there has been quite a bit of new construction in past 5 or so years that is pretty expensive--and have not heard too much about foreclosure rate in area but think there are foreclosures to certain extent

part of area around the lake is not good--there are some older developments that started as weekend living and then people moved there full time--reports of septic system breaking downs were in the newspaper last year with leaking of contaminated sewege into the lake--
there are some areas that have been used by people who have more than a passing interest in the drug trade--making meth amphetamines--so I would definitely check with police about crime in specific areas...
Granbury has gotten some boost from the oil/gas drilling in the Barnett Shale but that activity is really on the wane with oil/gas prices dropping pretty low right now...
there is not lot of industry out that way to support an economy--retired people, farming/ranching interests...and the Lake/tourism
Granbury is county seat so there is legal business going on from that as well...
many of the streets in Granbury proper are older, narrow two lane, and there would be limited access for large trucks to park...

Old 03-18-2009, 04:30 PM

1 posts, read 5,646 times
I live in Granbury, TX, and I don't reccomend it. The schools don't have much of a problem with Teaching, or enforcement, most of the kids there are laid back, crazy, or bullies.
The fine arts department does very well for all of the cash that has been withdrawn from it's budget for sports and such. (Sports team is horrible, but atleast we have chior teachers that really care, that's how we do so well.)
Fighting is becoming a popular form of recreation there, but violence is at an all time low. Schools are okay, but the school system is terrible, and organization of the whole grading system is a dismal failure, taxes should be spent on structural re-enforcement for a better teaching environment, and tax dollars are spent on who-knows-what. I'm in 9th grade and even to me, it's so obvious that the tax dollars aren't being handled as they should. The desks are terribly uncomfortable, and always have notes, or gang symbold/letters carved into them by a knife.
The Crossland 9th Grade Center needs renovations just as much as it needs to be bulldozed to the ground.
Now that I have the schools out of the way, Granbury is a nice town, the chamber of comerce have some small issues with the citizens, and drug trade is very popular there, but not a big deal in such a way that it gets in the way of civilians who don't want anything to do with it.
From what I've seen, in graffiti and such, it's not too big, the biggest graffiti I see is painted on a rail-road bridge, and it shows the expressions of individuals, and I think only two gangs. (I've never seen gang violence in Granbury.)
The streets have slight racial pop-ups here and there, but not too much, Outstanding Races in Granbury are Caucasian, Latino Americans, and some Asians.
Communities that are direct with Granbury are:
Small Town Cresson, Retirement Neighborhood(But Registered City) De Cordova, Bedroom Community Acton, and Neighborhood Pecan Plantation.

There are two main areas of Granbury, number one main attraction is the Square, with the courthouse with a clock attatched to it. The Square is a market area, but mostly a recreational area, with a theatre (Granbury: Live), A Granbury Opera House, and for the youth attractions, Local bands and such, there is Hank's at the Square, and Studio 216.
The Second main area is the area commuting around Super Store: Wal-mart. This area is almost cuddling with the Square, but it's on the other side of the lake, You can get everything you need around the Wal-mart area, including:
Fast Food, (McDonald's, Wendy's, Burger King, etc.)
Groceries, (Wal-mart)
Recreation, (Movie Theatre, Paintball Area
Quote:
, Blockbuster)
Banks,
Lawyers, (Cain)
Trading, (Black's Pawn Shop)
Food, (Chilie's, King's Buffet, CottonPatch)
Mobile Service, (All About Wireless)
You can pretty much get everything you need in this, area, including even a house.

The Police are ticket hungry, and very enforcing, but not forceful. If I was walking around the Square drinking a beer, I would be stopped and asked for I.D, however, If I walked with a cigarette in my hands, I would be asked my age and nothing else. However, traffic enforcement is a bit of a power hungry issue, the police will try their hardest to get a ticket into their systems.

Granbury's Judge, is named Judy, now I state this clearly, that she is extremely biased on the youth. She is not the best judge out there.

The people of Granbury, (Citizens) are actually very nice, and you will usually, always find someone to start a conversation with, there are a few rude people out there, but rating the main attitude of the citizens, they are pleasant.
The city is not secular, Most people are religious. Republicans, and Conservatives fill the area, you won't be finding many Democrats (Such as myself) or Liberal people out there.

I don't have any information reguarding the GDP, Crime Rate, Land Value, Flammability, or House Prices/Avaliability. I do know, that the city is a somewhat mediocre, but pleasent when you get used to it type to live in. (I've never gotten used to it.)

In the state of everything, I don't reccomend living there if you aren't being relocated, or forced there, a better city you may find near this area is Weatherford.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *1
I've only heard talk about this place, I'm not sure if it exists or not.

Last edited by Triented; 03-18-2009 at 04:35 PM.. Reason: Text Error

Old 03-19-2009, 02:59 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,772,794 times
I liked Grandbury when I visted. The old fashion shopping center and the lake, but I think alot of older retire type people live there. I would recommend it. The only problem is its 30 to 40 minutes from Fort Worth

Old 03-29-2009, 01:47 PM

6 posts, read 20,236 times
Default Granbury

I know this maybe a little late, but I hope it helps. Granbury Realestate is lower than most, but they get you with that subdivision fee...be careful. Low crime???I guess it's lower than the metroplex??? The schools have a lot to offer, but the crime level is a little high in them. If you want more property @ a lower cost then Granbury, but be careful of those subdivision fees. Oh and ask about the drinking water so places it's printed on the water bill the water is not safe for infants and elderly. Grand Prairie is nice but the cost of living is a little higher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladihawkae View Post
Hello all,
I could really use some assistance. My husband moved to Grand Prairie to give us time to look around, and we saw some land in a subdivision in Granbury that we are interested in. We are going to go look at it and talk to the owner in a few weeks and just wanted to see if anyone who knows this area can give us information on this area?
we really like Grand Prairie, but would like at least an acre and can't afford that around here. The property is in indian subdivision on lake granbury. it's supposed to be a gated community. Can you tell us about this area? the lot has building restrictions of at least 1000 sq ft, and no mobiles or rv's can be stored. what is the area like? is there a superwalmart? what is there? it sounds like a fast growing area, and its close enough to the city without the crime, i hope? anything you can tell me would be appreciated.
any jobs in the area?

Old 05-03-2009, 07:46 PM

9 posts, read 33,271 times
I've lived in Granbury for almost two years. Indian Harbor is an interesting subdivision. It has some nicer areas and some bad areas. The schools aren't good, but we are taxed into oblivion because of them. There is a great subdivision near Cresson, which is between Fort Worth and Granbury, called Tres Vistas. You can get a lot of house there for the money. Many are almost new. The biggest problem in Hood County is truly our taxes. Lakefront owners are repeatedly hit the hardest with a guaranteed increase every year. It's town government is totally the good ole boy network. Our mayor and city council recently tripled their own salaries by hiding it as a line item in the budget and approved said budget. I could go on and on. The positives of G'bury are crime is low here. There are a lot of nice subdivisions to choose from. The square is fun, Granbury Live and the Opera House are great too. Not a lot of good restaurants, but Fort Worth and Weatherford aren't that far away. The lake itself is full of stumps. Lots of channels have been cut through, but it's boater beware for sure. It's a pretty friendly town. We do have a super walmart, kroger and a few other grocery stores. We also just got a Braum's! Woo hoo!
That may be way more info than you'd like, but there it is. If you have specific questions feel free to ask. There are several lakehouses for rent on lakehouse.com that you might want to rent for a week and do a test run.

Old 10-02-2009, 10:08 AM

1 posts, read 4,945 times
I live outside of Granbury Towards Lipan. Lipan has a population of 435 people. I love it here. I have lived in this are for about 15 years. I love living deep in the country and still having granbury city about 10 miles away. My boys go to lipan schools. There are only @ 20 kids per grade , not per class. My husband drives to fort worth every day and The road to fort worth ( 377) is not a trashy drive. It is mostly a country drive with views that go on for miles with beautiful sunsets. There are a few communities between granbury and fort worth, like cresson with 1 red light. Benbrook has about 5 redlights but this is a town right on top of entering forth worth. Benbrook is a nice town also. I have nothing but nice things to say about granbury. I you do not speed, you will not get a ticket. And they do allow alcohol on the square. I believe it is a BYOB. There is a winery with wine tasting on the square. A lot of what some people are saying negative about living in granbury has to be from a bad personel experience. You will experience this in every town. you have to make yourself happy or no one will do it for you. LONG live Granbury and its surrounding little towns like Lipan,santo,glen rose,nemo,cresson,tolar and bluff dale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth